Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

NextDoorLunatic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2012, 4:15 am

Or, depending on how young you are - do you know whether you will be able to get one?
And if you in fact have one, did you face any particular problems that other people your age might not have?

I have one since February but began taking driver's ed relatively late. It also took me a little longer to get it since the theoretical part was extremely easy - but the driving itself caused me some preoblems I never knew I had. Basically, it was the very first time that I had to concentrate on an actual activity involving reacting to my environment (in which being distracted by unrelated things or declining into my own thoughts could actually be dangerous).

By now I consider myself a decently good and safe driver though and once I found out that in I quiete enjoy driving, having control over the car and how fast I can go with it (at some places) everything got a lot easier. A lot of people whom I had driving lessons with seemed to have constant progress, whereas for me it was as if somebody flipped a switch from "aweful driver who had no clue about anything" to "finally understood how traffic works and does well".

megahertz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Sep 2012, 5:19 am

NextDoorLunatic wrote:
And if you in fact have one, did you face any particular problems that other people your age might not have?

I actually have a driver's licence and I got it a the normal age of 18 years. :D But reverse parking is still nearly impossible for me, because in my mind the car's rear is strangely bigger than it really is when I get out and look at it. No matter how large a parking spot is, it seems too narrow to me while I'm sitting inside the car. :roll:

Trekie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Sep 2012, 8:06 am

I am stugeling to take my drivers license. I have a very good teacher but if I cant stop being scared and get my sh.. together the I will have to give up soon. Im runnig out of money.(In Denmark you have to pay for each lesson, there is no such thing as a learners license)

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2012, 4:30 pm

I have a license. It was relatively easy to get, considering the lax requirements the US has. Once I got used to driving using a permit, it became easy. When driving without a passenger, I only focus on driving, and nothing else, so it's kind of like meditating, only using a large expensive machine hurtling along at several times faster than evolution could have possible prepared me for.

I have not yet had an accident, however I have almost had an accident several times.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:19 pm

No, but I would have liked to have one for like 1.5 years now.

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2012, 4:35 pm

I'm signing myself up for driver's ed so i CAN get my license. I'll probably be able to drive before my 17-year-old boyfriend can. :lol:

Kait

19 Sep 2012, 9:45 pm

No. I'm 17, actually going to be in a month, but I still don't have one. I hope to get it as soon as possible though. I want to have an easier way to go places.

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2012, 12:51 am

I got mine late last year, three months before I turned 18. I had put it off for a couple of years because I was pretty scared to drive, but I feel very comfortable doing so now.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 11:00 am

No, and I don't want one. Even assuming I passed my test, I don't have the concentration required to to drive safely on the road. I'm also liable to have a full-blown meltdown if I got lost while driving, so yeah.