Curious- What views do Adolescent Aspies have on weddings?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 5:19 am

As the title says, I'm fairly curious on what views other Aspies have on weddings.

I'm not talking about the concept here - merely the general atmosphere of the wedding itself and the insanity-inducing afterparties.

I can remember being to a few of my cousins weddings in my childhood; although all I can remember was hopping frantically around (Probably to reduce my stress overload from the enviornment) and not speaking to many people, aside from my parents.

I can't imagine actually having to say something during one of them - Especially assuming I actually get married and have to say something w/o resulting in a meltdown ;_;

I can also easily imagine myself asking a female friend to crossdress if I'm at a lack of choices for Best Men.

(As for why this isn't in GAD...I just feel the answers here will be a bit more interesting ;D)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 6:02 am

never attended a wedding until my late twenties or thirties when my cousins started to get married off.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 6:07 am

Nice social event to see my cousins who I haven't seen in months.

Most of my cousins are in their late teens and twenties, so we have wedding *ALL THE TIME*, like a couple per summer and sometimes in other seasons when everyone's on break lol.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 8:45 am

I've never been to one, although I imagine it would be like a funeral.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Oct 2012, 11:50 am

I been to a few. Not really the type of atmosphere I enjoy.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2012, 2:02 pm

I've been to four weddings in my entire life. The first and second I can barely remember (the first one was my parents wedding.) The second was my uncle's wedding and I quite enjoyed myself. The same goes for the second one which was the wedding of my other uncle.

Last edited by BenPritchard on 05 Oct 2012, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm

Weddings are OK. I usually just wind up talking to one or two of my family members about something interesting, and ignoring the rest of the people there.

NextDoorLunatic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2012, 5:51 pm

I've only been to one wedding and it was a very alternative one, on a farm. I liked it, since it was like a casual family gathering and some of my nicest relatives that I rarely ever get to meet were present.

MissTopazWonders
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Oct 2012, 4:33 am

Since the majority of weddings I have been to in my lifetime are close family ones, I tend to get a little overexcited and do things that either completely embarrass me (later, when I re-think about them) or get me into trouble. I usually stick by my side of the family, and not the other side of the wedding party. However, if a relative or a member of the other side of the wedding party tries to talk to me, I just look at my shoes, mumble a little, then go hide under a table or rush back off to whatever I was previously doing.

Not the best wedding guest :oops:

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:56 am

I am against marriage in general. It was started in feudalist times for families to preserve wealth, not emotional attachment. Living together will drive two people insane, I would much rather have frequent visits with a significant other. However, I am curious how living together without legal obligation would be...could be an attractive option.

Going to one though....stupid people, irrational emotions, etc. Not for me. The food at the after party usually isn't all that great either.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

blue1skies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2012, 10:47 pm

When people say that your wedding will be "the happiest day of your life!", I just laugh. Having to go out in public with a few hundred people, socialize and be polite with all of them, have everyone talking about me, make speeches, and dance sounds like a terrible idea to me! I also am very, very sensitive to noise and certain smells. Being in a large group of people also makes me uncomfortable. I believe in the idea of weddings, it's just the modern-day interpretation that alienates me.