Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

oharris1997
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2015, 3:45 pm

Is it weird or normal that I have no problem making eye contact with people I'm comfortable with but cannot bare eye contact with people I don't really know that well?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 4:20 am

From an autistic point of view; this is normal; eye contact is very intimate, so unless you really trust someone, eye-contact will be highly uncomfortable.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 6:50 am

oharris1997 wrote:
Is it weird or normal that I have no problem making eye contact with people I'm comfortable with but cannot bare eye contact with people I don't really know that well?

No not really. I used to be able to not make eye contact at all. But in the 6 month period I've gotten slightly better with my small group of friends.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Chevmaree
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Sep 2015, 11:50 pm

I have to make an effort to make eye contact and when i do I am accused of glaring or staring usually. Except with close friends I find eye contact intimidating

electricsaygeo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2015, 4:44 pm

I'm 17 and and I don't make eye contact with anyone - not my friends, family

If I accidently make contact, I just look away instantly

I usually look downwards and to the right (at the floor, at the table, at my work)

I've read articles and watched videos on overcoming it, but, when the time comes, I can't even bring myself to try it :(

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 12:16 pm

I usually stare at people's chins instead of their eyes. Since I'm short, I can kind of get away with staring at their shirt or whatever.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 3:32 am

sounds perfectly normal to me.

i escape most of the eye contact anxieties by focusing on another point on the face, like the nose. or between the eyes and slightly above.

most of he time i'm accused of staring. and have gotten more "what are you looking at?!"s than i'm comfortable with.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.