Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2013, 10:02 pm

On Sunday, my mom and I had a big argument about how I want to get my license before the last day of school (the 19th), but she won't let me. I'm supposed to be hosting a bonfire at my grandparents' house and I need my car to pick up some of my friends who need rides. My mom then brought up the fact that I need to get a new job and that I shoudn't have quit Dunkin Donuts (I actually got fired) and how I don't make any efforts to hand in applications to get a job so I can pay car insurance and gas and other bills. Then she continued to call me an ungrateful b***h, when I was trying to help my mom out by not havung to chauffer me everywhere anymore, and I could be more independent. I completed drivers ed a month ago, finished all my driving hours, and have all my paperwork ready for the DMV, but my mom refuses to even let me go take the eye and written tests. She thinks I'm being selfish when I'm doing my best to get out of her hair for good. And my stepdad decided it would be a wonderful idea to scream "THAT'S IT! I'M SELLING YOUR CAR!" at me. It was kind of a nice car, a fire engine red '03 mustang (not sure if it was a v6 or a v8). It WAS my 16th birthday present from last September. The car hasn't even been fully fixed, and I STILL don't have my license. If the scenerio had happened to my stepsister, she would have still had her car because she's her daddy's "princess". So not only do I hate my mother, I also hate my stepdad. I want to move out already so badly. -___- It's not like anyone in my house would care, that's one less mouth to feed, and my room is literally the size of Harry Potter's room when he lived under the staircase (even though I live in a single-story home). So yeah, I kind of need my license to get a job and to get the heck out of here before I lose my mind, and NOT depend on my adult friends to pick me up constantly.

Soryy for all the ranting, I haven't been on here in a while and I needed to blow off some steem.

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jun 2013, 8:35 am

Sometimes we suck at getting messages across when speaking. Would it help if you wrote it down as a proposal, explaining why it's to their benefit to have you mobile? Without being too obvious about how unwelcome you seem to feel sometimes!

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 10:05 am

Briana, I understand completely. I've been on my own since I was sixteen, and one of the reasons was that my parents refused to sign for me to get a drivers' license, telling me I was irresponsible and not a "decent human being", and that I was going to kill somebody the first time I got on the road. So, I had to wait until I was eighteen and in the Navy to get my license, and learned how to drive chauffering military brass through some of Europe's biggest, most crowded cities. I'm fifty now, have driven well over a million miles, and have yet to kill anybody, or even get into a wreck that was my fault.

Sanduru
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2013, 10:14 pm

I believe you're being a little unfair Briana, don't take it personal. But parents are like that... No matter what. And I also have a small bedroom, but at least I'm not in a bedroom made of cardboard and eaten up by the rain... I mean, I know having a car at 16 is normal there on the USA... But it's not strictly necessary because you still can take buses and taxis... I mean, if you get a job or move to your own house you don't strictly need a car. In fact, you will need to get a job to maintain yourself and not get maintaned by your family paying your bills and such.
Sorry if I offend you.

Last edited by Sanduru on 13 Jun 2013, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

13 Jun 2013, 12:14 am

Briana, I would just tell your parents, as politely as possible, that you're just trying to make a living for yourself. You're just trying to live your life, not trying to offend them.

Just be honest to them about your feelings, but don't let your frustration dictate what you say. Hope things work out for you.