Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 5:20 am

So I got my learner's license about two weeks ago. Here in New Zealand, to get your learner's license you have to sit a fairly basic computer test. I think the pass rate's 32/25, and I got 33/35, so it's not like I aced the test, but still, I have my license.

I always knew it would take a while for me to be confident behind the wheel. I've been out about five times since getting my license, and I'm definitely improving. I have the wheel concept down, but now I just need to work on the acceleration/braking aspect of driving. I'm not horrible at braking or anything, but I'm just not as pro at it as I'd like to be.

So in conclusion, I'm improving and I can definitely see myself getting my full license in a about a year and a half, when I'm allowed to apply for it.

I'd love to hear if anybody else has gone through the motions of learning how to drive and their experience of doing so. :)

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 8:53 pm

*crickets*

I got a learner's permit when I was 15. My parents both drove standards, and all I could get them to do was make awful noises. :lol: So they bought me an automatic.

My poor motor (:P) and visual-spatial skills meant that I wasn't very good at driving. Plus my lack of a sense of direction meant that I couldn't get anywhere without being given constant directions.

When I tried to get on the freeway for the first (and only) time I wasn't sure what to do, the as*hole behind me was honking, and my father was too busy flipping him off to respond to my questions. I was too scared to drive much after that. I never became confident enough to take the practical test and my parents eventually sold the car.

That's my success story. 8)

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 10:04 am

Your avatar is so ironic. Hah. Maybe it's just the sleep deprivation, but I'm genuinely laughing out loud at your avatar.

I'm in an automatic too! I think at least beginning on an automatic means that there's one less thing to worry about when learning to drive. I have pretty decent motor skills, but I can totally relate to the spacial-visual skill issues. Every time I go out with my father, he gets really flustered when I'm constantly either too close to the curb or too close to the center-line. I guess it's because I find it hard to understand the amount of space the vehicle occupies.

My parents have an ongoing joke that I'm really horrific at driving, but I think I'm getting better, which is good.

And yeah, what's with the lack of replies??? :(

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 6:20 pm

I'm learning to drive. I'll get my driving license soon.
Compact car and pickup truck. Manual transmission both.

mastermind259
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2013, 8:18 pm

***raises hand***

I do. I drive a pickup truck and got my permit last year (FL, US) and kept it for a year and then got my license about 2 and 1/2 months ago. It's wonderful. I can finally set my own school hours (when I show up, when I leave) and get involved in as many activities as I want. I can also take myself places (alone 8) ), don't have to ride the bus anymore ( :D ), and get some more independence ( :mrgreen: ).

I HIGHLY recommend it. I tell everyone that is 16 or 17 without their learners permit that they will regret not getting when they can, if they can.

Aspie Quiz- 147 Aspie, 60 Neurotypical

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

18 Oct 2013, 11:28 am

I drive a huge automatic truck. I hate driving. :lol:

LouHusky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2013, 7:29 am

I can drive, but not legally allowed to yet, I've been go-karting since I was 6 and dad's been teaching me how to drive his Mini Cooper on private land for the past year and a bit.

Louis

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2013, 7:44 am

My father started teaching me this summer (I still was 15). I'm glad he started teaching me early because I am slow at learning things and need more time to.
I'll probably get my driving license by next year, but according to the law in my state I'll have to drive with a person at my side that has had a driving license for at least 10 years (both my mother and father can go with me). Then from the age of 18 I'll be able to drive on my own. And I will finally be able to run over the hateful literature teacher that hates me :lol:
Just joking... maybe :lol:

Crocodylus Porosus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2014, 7:13 am

I don't have my license yet, but I still like to drive whenever I get the chance, mostly offroading or on a not so busy backroad.

livnah
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2014, 7:40 am

I learned to drive when I was 14, got license at 16, and then between ages 21-33 (13 years total) didn't own a car (mostly bicycle/transit to get around). Looking back, my parents made sure I was in a [paid] driver's education course outside of school - small class sizes and an emphasis on learning the RULES (laws).

Despite all of that, I got into some trouble when I was 16-21 for various infractions, ended up ruining my car, and stopped driving. In the 2-3 years I've had a car again I have to say that the "freedom" is nice but I miss being car-less. Maybe I'll ditch the car again when I move to a more bike-friendly place in the future. The frustration I feel towards other drivers on a daily basis, and the costs of owning a vehicle, are just a bit more than I'd like to have in my life.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 9:59 pm

At least where you're at you don't have to worry about the weather much, in the midwest US we got rain and snow and every other inclement weather you can think of. It doesn't help much that the car my dad gave me a few months ago is in GARBAGE condition.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 12:56 am

tomorrow is my half birthday. i will then be old enough to be able to get my permit without taking the drivers ed. tried to take it online, course was a piece of s**t, got locked out, worst 10 dollars parents spent on me.

toyota tacoma, rides, gas money debt, angry drivers, freedom, accidents, here i come. will inherit it from dad. here in cali i'll have a restricted license until i turn 18, then total drivers freedom.

modernmax wrote:
It doesn't help much that the car my dad gave me a few months ago is in GARBAGE condition.

wow :? hopefully you can get that hunk o' junk fixed somehow.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

livnah
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2014, 8:46 am

I hate to sound old but In my day there was no such thing as a restricted/provisional license, so let me be the not-quite-first to say sorry you have to deal with that.

My likely unwanted avuncular advice to all new drivers, ESPECIALLY ones with ASD: plan more time than you need, even if it means forcing yourself to awake early in the morning; my best days on the road are ones where there's no traffic at all - but second to that are the ones where there's traffic and I'm calm because I have more than enough time to spare.

Here at work we were obliged to come up with a "tagline" in our email signatures, mine includes the words: "motivated dysaniac" because while I never want to get out of bed - and I do mean NEVER - I'm always the first person in the office every morning. There's no traffic at 6am, and tolls are less.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 11:54 am

I got my driving license when I was 19 and I was driving for about 2 weeks after that (Im 25 now). xD

I can drive and do it well but I find it overwhelming.

I much prefer having someone to drive me so I can focus on the road only. I'm a good companion - I tell when there is a roadsign, a danger etc. and I can work as an alive gps - I will tell where to turn and how to get to designation point.

When I drive there is too many stuffs I must focus on. Its not only the road, the signs and other cars but also the speed (I constantly compare speed to the speed limit on roadsigns), the turn lights (I must think about turning them on and off everytime I turn), the gear (I hear when there is time for gear change by the engine sound but it only confuses me if I have to speed up at the same time - you can't use gas when changing gear so I am feeling guilty and irritated for having the car work so loud and not changing the gear when engine tells me to) and of course all the things one has to do when starting the car and stopping. Parking is also a hard thing to do - I am afraid of getting into tiny parking space so I have to drive around looking for huge gaps(I can't use spaces for disabled) while paying attention to all the cars and people around. And of course left turns(my country has right-hand traffic, so left turns are harder than right turns). You have to watch left and right side as well as the front, waiting for enough space to get in while staying focused on the car pedals and gears and worrying what happens if the car dies down when starting...

BrutalMetalDood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2014, 12:36 pm

In all honesty, driving can seem overwhelming at first(for NTs as well), but as with many things, practice does make perfect. The more you drive, the more comfortable you'll be while doing it. I've been driving for almost 7 years and over this period, driving has become second nature for me. For those of you who are beginning to drive, you'll see that once behind the wheel, it's not your driving abilities that you have to worry about... it's the other clueless people who you have to worry about. I've seen some people whom I honestly believe got their license out of the bottom of a cereal box.

On a side note, TRAFFIC SUCKS! It doesn't help that I drive a Mustang with a pretty heavy clutch. :x

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Terry Pratchett

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 4:40 am

I got my permit and forced into a job when I was 14, bought as Blue Pontiac Bonneville and got my official license when I was 16 with my own hard earned cash. Got rear-ended when I was 17.5, traded up cars to a Black Pontiac Grand AM. I'm 20 now, still drive that car, has served me well.