Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

iqtomup
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2014, 4:31 pm

Considering that bullying usually involves a combination of the following:

Assault (beating people up, wedgies)
Harassment (verbal abuse)
Intrusion of Privacy (hacking into your computer and stealing personal information, stealing diaries)
Defamation (spreading rumors)
Vandalism (destruction of private property)
Perjury (framing someone for a crime, providing false evidence, false testimony)
Extortion ("Gimme your lunch money!", protection fees)
Theft (stealing money, phones)
Fraud (pretending to be someone on the internet, tricking someone into revealing personal information, destroying schoolwork, changing grades)

Why is it so hard to charge a bully with criminal/civil offenses? Is it because there is no financial damage and tears aren't money (which is true in the case of defamation)?

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2014, 6:49 am

I think it is hard to charge a bully because most bullying happens in school between minors and it's hard to charge minors. Also most of the bullying that happens out of school is also between minors, and the one who happens between adults is usually in workplaces and is ignored by bosses/the harassed people are too afraid to denounce the harassment or have been threathened so they won't do that.

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm

Because it's generally between minors. And the whole minors issue. If it weren't for that, one of my persecutors might be incarcerated for attempted murder (though I don't think he would have gone through with it all the way).

dragonzatch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jan 2014, 6:37 pm

Because no one listens to kids. If you tried to press charges you'd be laughed at, called "cute" and the bully's parents would instinctively go "Not my baby!".

When adults get bullied it's called harassment which you actually can charge someone with and be listened to.