Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

23 Jun 2018, 5:54 pm

Former or currently a night owl.
When I was younger, like, between ages 6 and 14, I would stay up late so much of the time.
When I was between 6 and 9, I would stay up for days at a time just watching late night programming on Disney Channel and Playhouse Disney.
After that I began going to sleep between 9pm and 12am.
When I got a little older tho I would stay up till at least 1 or at the latest 6 in the morning.
However once I turned 15 I would go to bed between 10 and 11.
Now I will go to bed between 11 and 1.
What about you guys?
What time do you go to bed?
Are you or were you a night owl?

ammeavid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2018, 1:06 pm

I find that I'm very much a night owl. I can't get myself to go to bed any earlier than 11. I usually like staying up until 12, which isn't a very good idea during the school year as I have to get up at 5:30 every morning lol.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2018, 1:52 pm

I am most definitely a night owl, probably cuz of my ADHD. Through high school and first years of college, I would regularly go to sleep 4-6 AM (that's not that uncommon though). Nowadays, its even worse as I might have a bad day and flip around my whole sleep schedule suddenly, can take a week to get it back to normal.

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

03 Jul 2018, 8:03 pm

ammeavid wrote:
I find that I'm very much a night owl. I can't get myself to go to bed any earlier than 11. I usually like staying up until 12, which isn't a very good idea during the school year as I have to get up at 5:30 every morning lol.

Do you still have school? You're off for the summer aren't ya?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 3:08 am

I’m becoming a nightowl again, no thanks to the f!cking panic attacks I’m having again, which has been going on since May, at least 6 times a night. Reason: I’ve gotten the shaft, and still am getting the shaft on a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta I put a deposit on. It has been in the shop for the past 2 months. The person I purchased it from, can’t find a functional transmission anywhere. Every time I call this guy (who’s a former used car salesman), inquiring if my car is ready, I get excuses. I now have 2 citations to pay off, because his mechanic has been driving it, and state inspection is expired! He says he paid the tickets, but after talking to the city, HE HASN’T PAID A DAMN THING! I’m still waiting for him to return my deposit, since, after 2 months, I HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT. NO, I DON’T HAVE ANY KIND OF PAPERWORK, EXCEPT FOR THE TITLE! I CAN’T EVEN GET HOLD OF HIM TO EVEN SIGN THE TITLE BACK TO HIM!

I guess I go back to keep myself locked in my room, AND TRUST NOBODY! MAYBE I CAN GET MEDICARE TO PAY FOR A FRONTAL LOBOTOMY, AS I’M WELL PAST THE POINT OF NOT WANTING TO FEEL ANYTHING ANYMORE!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 3:56 am

I'm up most of the night, sleeping periodically. That's my natural pattern.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 7:23 am

It's 7:19 am here. I'm getting ready to go to sleep so I can get up in time to take a shower and go eat lunch in the park at noon.

During one ten year period, I averaged about two hours of sleep per night. Since then, I haven't switched to any regular time to go to sleep or get up. Some days I sleep about three to four hours and other days I may sleep eight to twelve hours.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2018, 3:57 pm

Lately, 12-2 in the morning has been my typical bedtime range. But I would like it to be sooner, as staying up late makes me take longer to get going in the morning, which makes me feel like I'm falling behind.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 4:18 pm

I'm a night owl. If it weren't for my obligations, mainly work, I would probably go to bed around 2 am.

I've always loved night. Most everyone else who claims the world during the day is silent for a time. It's quiet. I can think. Emotions are thicker at night.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 4:28 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
I’m becoming a nightowl again, no thanks to the f!cking panic attacks I’m having again, which has been going on since May, at least 6 times a night. Reason: I’ve gotten the shaft, and still am getting the shaft on a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta I put a deposit on. It has been in the shop for the past 2 months. The person I purchased it from, can’t find a functional transmission anywhere. Every time I call this guy (who’s a former used car salesman), inquiring if my car is ready, I get excuses. I now have 2 citations to pay off, because his mechanic has been driving it, and state inspection is expired! He says he paid the tickets, but after talking to the city, HE HASN’T PAID A DAMN THING! I’m still waiting for him to return my deposit, since, after 2 months, I HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT. NO, I DON’T HAVE ANY KIND OF PAPERWORK, EXCEPT FOR THE TITLE! I CAN’T EVEN GET HOLD OF HIM TO EVEN SIGN THE TITLE BACK TO HIM!

I guess I go back to keep myself locked in my room, AND TRUST NOBODY! MAYBE I CAN GET MEDICARE TO PAY FOR A FRONTAL LOBOTOMY, AS I’M WELL PAST THE POINT OF NOT WANTING TO FEEL ANYTHING ANYMORE!

Oh this is horrible

Look, I know the absolute last thing you want to do is anything *more* at all, but is there a Legal Aid office in your county? Do you qualify? Just talking to a legal expert - if it's free and any subsequent action would be pro bono - might help you feel a lot better. That mechanic should be personally liable for those tickets, but I know that would be hard to enforce without help.

I'm so sorry, this sucks hugely. And if the mere thought of trying anything else at all right now makes you want to scream and throw pianos, I get it. But this might be a good idea... later. So here it is.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 4:33 pm

I get tired before 10 in the evening and don't really like staying up late, but sometimes I am up late at night because of trouble falling asleep.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 5:02 pm

Something around 4am-noon seems to be my natural sleep pattern, and I suspect that it always has been. Trying to go to bed sooner simply doesn't work, my brain just won't stop rattling along until the early hours. There doesn't need to be any particular anxiety that's stopping me sleeping; my brain will just find something to do, however inane, and won't let me drift off until it's ready. School and office-hour work have meant just having to tackle the day on only a few hours sleep, and even the sleep-deprivation from a week of that has never got me to sleep any earlier. If I do have something I'm anxious about, then it doesn't have to eat into my sleep very much before I get none at all - I've got up and gone to work still even after two or three of those nights on the trot. I was lucky as a child that my Mum has exactly the same kind of problems with her sleep, so she understood how necessary it was for me to have a lie-in sometimes.

None of the usual advice or medication has ever made the slightest bit of difference (though I'm looking with my GP at trying melatonin, which is more tightly controlled in the UK than many other places.) If it weren't for the time constraints of the outside world, I'd be happy enough to just stick to my natural pattern; if I go to bed at 3-4am, I get to sleep easily, and wake easily after about 7-8 hours sleep, especially if I shift my meal-times too. But trying to hold down a job with that degree of constant sleep-deprivation is a nightmare, especially combined with trying to mask my autism at the same time - it has definitely contributed to the burn-outs that have always led to the end of the jobs that I've had.

At the same time, I do like the quiet hours of the night a great deal; they are the best time for "special interests" and my creative and programming projects (and hanging out here!), or even just soaking up the stillness after a day of being over-stimulated. So I'm not entirely sure whether my shifted body clock is an innate physiological thing, something that my autistic brain has learned to use as a "sanctuary", or a bit of both.

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2018, 7:08 pm

I must be a night owl as I often stay up til 1 or 2 am but its often just to reset after a day of giving to much of myself away. Id rather be tired but re-set than try to sleep with no down time beforehand. Im always up between 7 and 8am so I dont like to lay in bed late at all.

serpenEncipheror
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2018, 12:10 pm

Definitely. Recently the daytime has become somewhat too exciting, so it becomes that I can only focus when night falls :(
It's also the time for college application, so yeh I tend to stay up late to finish my tasks.

I'm pretty sure about being neurotypical though, since my neurodiverse traits never caused me any trouble and I get along well with other neurotypical people.

Maybe this means I can get along well with neurodiverse people, too? I never get a chance to prove this because in China schools don't enroll students with ASD and therefore I have no neurodiverse people around me.

So I am here!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 12:19 pm

The world isn't quiet during the day. It's blissfully serene when the "world sleeps". Due to current obligations I have in life as a family man, I must adhere to a specific nightly sleep schedule. Even so I'm usually not in bed until after midnight.

If I had no such obligations, left to my own devices I would probably be largely nocturnal as I have been in my younger years.

avlien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2018, 3:19 pm

3 a.m. on average for about 20 years now. If you think about it, it is a sensible thing for some neuroatypicals to thrive at night. Daytime is very noisy (construction, yard work, etc), full of constant distractions (deliveries, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc), not to mention bright. I would never get anything done if I had to work during the day, it caused me no end of trouble during school.

note: for the purpose of this conversation "human" = "neurotypical"