Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2020, 1:31 am

I'm almost 20. It's kind of hard to be honest. People expect more of me and I almost miss high school. In high school I got more support and I liked the routine.

I cant drive and I do not have a job. I have other learning disabilities that make it hard to keep a job. I had a summer job and I got bad anxiety because some people there got frustrated with me.

I also feel like I think differently than other people my age. I do not seem to enjoy the same things. I also feel like they are all so mature and I am behind. I do horribly at basic social things. I have to be reminded to shower and brush my teeth.

I like to repeat things and I get excited over minor things when talking to my family. Sometimes family events are hard because my cousins and siblings talk a lot and I stay silent or I just repeat the same stories over and over again. I struggle to join conversations and I feel like it makes me immature.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 1:41 am

Sounds like there might be some deep frustration there.

TatjanaErika
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2020, 2:27 pm

I'm one year older than you and I can relate to your feelings of being immature, especially emotionally and socially. When I am in public and talk to strangers or acquaintances, I really try to pretend being "normal", however most people would notice that I am very naive and don't know how to talk about most of the "grown-up" topics. At home I am like a little child. I would often go to my parents and tell them some meaningless details about animals or books and I hang out with them quite a lot for a girl my age. Like you, I barely talk to other people if I don't have to. Sometimes, I feel really stupid comparing myself with my cousins and my parents' friends' children, who are all 2-4 years younger than me but still act more mature.
Do you parents and friends accept you the way you are? My parents used to be very strict with me, but suprisingly, they have been less strict since I finished high school.
Have you considered certain careers or going to college? Most of the summer jobs require a lot of social skills and dexterity, but for a full time job, there are many careers in better enviroments.
I probably can't help you that much due to my age, but if you want to talk about this feel free to message me :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 3:48 pm

I drive and have a dead-end job. Besides those two 'achievements' I basically feel the same. Just when I thought I finally had high school figured out (socially) it was over and it's just been overwhelming ever since.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2020, 7:05 pm

TatjanaErika wrote:
I'm one year older than you and I can relate to your feelings of being immature, especially emotionally and socially. When I am in public and talk to strangers or acquaintances, I really try to pretend being "normal", however most people would notice that I am very naive and don't know how to talk about most of the "grown-up" topics. At home I am like a little child. I would often go to my parents and tell them some meaningless details about animals or books and I hang out with them quite a lot for a girl my age. Like you, I barely talk to other people if I don't have to. Sometimes, I feel really stupid comparing myself with my cousins and my parents' friends' children, who are all 2-4 years younger than me but still act more mature.
Do you parents and friends accept you the way you are? My parents used to be very strict with me, but suprisingly, they have been less strict since I finished high school.
Have you considered certain careers or going to college? Most of the summer jobs require a lot of social skills and dexterity, but for a full time job, there are many careers in better enviroments.
I probably can't help you that much due to my age, but if you want to talk about this feel free to message me :)

I try to pretend to be "normal" too. It's not easy. Most people seem to know that I am different. I often rock back and forth when I am sitting. I talk to my parents a lot. I mostly talk about dogs and random facts that I know. I hardly join in on other conversations that happen because I get overwhelmed. I feel like I should but I dont know how.

I compare myself a lot. I only have one younger cousin on my mom's side and I get a long with him better than my other cousins. My other cousins are my age and older. My oldest cousin is 2 years older than me. I was visiting my grandparents and they were going to be gone for the weekend. My oldest cousin let me stay at her place. . She didnt seem to understand me as much as my parents and grandparents do. I couldnt tie my shoes but I wore converse. I could tell that annoyed her. Then she got frustrated with me when we were on the bus and I was repeating something I saw on an ad outside. I tend to repeat phrases that I like. My other cousin who is the same age as me doesnt really talk to me a lot. Hes busy a lot.

My parents and friends accept me just the way I am. They treat me well. My parents dont mind that I talk about the same things a lot and that I have an obsession with collecting looney tunes stuff. They helped me through high school. Sometimes they do get tired though.

I have not considered college yet. I didn't do very well in high school because of learning disabilities and because I had teachers who did not understand my needs fully. My summer job was hard. It was more socializing than I'm used to. I stayed with my grandparents during it. Everyone at my job liked me except for some people. I swept a lot and iced cookies. I did not enjoy talking to people though. It was hard to do small talk with coworkers. I think they knew I'm autistic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2021, 7:51 am

At least you graduated.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2021, 3:43 pm

You can't measure maturity

Your maturity is always over, under or equal to your age

Psychiatrist, anxiety prescription