Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 12:33 pm

When I was in Kindergarden (about 4 years old) I could already read really well. When you guys were young, did you have any special achedemic or creative talents that were sort of out-of the ordinary? What were they? I want to hear stories.

This is kind of random, but I'm curious.

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2007, 12:36 pm

I've been able to draw very well since I first picked up a pencil. I'll have to get a scan of the first drawing with people I ever did - I'm told it's better than what most adults can do. And I still love to draw. I never get sick of improving.

I learned how to read when I was 4 also. By kindergarten I basically did the teacher's job for her XD

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 12:48 pm

Selo wrote:
I've been able to draw very well since I first picked up a pencil. I'll have to get a scan of the first drawing with people I ever did - I'm told it's better than what most adults can do. And I still love to draw. I never get sick of improving.

I learned how to read when I was 4 also. By kindergarten I basically did the teacher's job for her XD

Tony Attwood talks about this sort of ideation. That we (those of us with AS) think we are 'taking over the class' because of our accelerated talents. Often these perceptions are erroneous, because there are many aspects the teacher did that we were unaware of that we did NOT cause to happen i.e. student instruction, participation in scheduled faculty meetings, preparing lessons, evaluating student performance, participation in workshops, and conferring with parents and other school staff.

perhaps you forgot to include these duties in your perception of how you 'basically did the teacher's job for her?'

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 12:50 pm

I learnt to read before I went to school too

I'm a hypochondriac. Please don't kill me.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:48 pm

I could play piano by ear from the age of three or four. Apparently I picked up anything and would play (popular music, that is -- I don't think I was doing anything classical). My parents finally could afford piano lessons when I was about 11 or 12, and after that, I couldn't play by ear very well at all. I wonder if actually learning the notes kind of zaps all the creative energy out a person.

Kris

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 1:53 pm

I didn't have any special talents. I could draw a little better than my peers, but only ever things I saw with my eyes. I had better fine motor skills than my peers all the time, that's why my skills in drawing where somewhat more advanced. This is probably very uncommon for autistic people, at least that's what the psychologist who diagnosed me said.
Over than that, my mom said I could read before school, but I remember that I didn't want to read and said I couldn't when I was in grade 1, so I really don't know about this one. Maybe I just forgot how to read when I went to school, because everything was so silly and boring there in my opinion.

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2007, 2:30 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
perhaps you forgot to include these duties in your perception of how you 'basically did the teacher's job for her?'

Well pretty much every day she let me hand out every paper, describe all the homework, call attendance, remember every kid's name so she wouldn't have to, and read all the stories out loud. But I keep forgetting there's a lot teachers do besides teaching, which I think a lot of kids take for granted XP

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2007, 3:22 pm

I was able to read early, as well. I started kindergarten at age 4.
I also knew how to write my ABC's backwards(no one taught me how, I just did.) by the time I was in kindergarten. I would also write things backwards from the ages 4-7. I guess I just thought it was fun, I would write it the correct way, then backwards, or backwards on demand.
Since then and besides those things, I've never been especially talented at anything.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2007, 3:47 pm

I had an incredible music ability. I could read the music and understand it way better than other kids my age, and then play it "with feeling." I still have this talent of being able to express emotions in the music that other people have never thought of, or never heard.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 3:51 pm

I was never top in class at anything. My parents taught me to read and write before first grade, but I wasn't the only kid that could, and the teachers taught me cursive. My parents also taught me some math, but again there were kids that were more advanced than me. My teacher told me I read out loud really well, but I thought most of the other kids read out loud just as well as I did.

I got good at drawing through years of practice. I started out tracing, then copying, then drawing from my imagination. Some kids thought I was great and that I would become some famous comic artist. But again, there were kids better than me though they were few.

Overall I'm pretty much average.

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 4:38 pm

I could draw faces upside down. 8)

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 5:07 pm

I knew the names of all the known dinosaurs before I learned to read.

I had a really strong imagination and I would tell long, complex stories. When I learned to read and write, I started writing stories the length of novels for kids. I would make them into books with paper, staples, and colored pencils (for the cover art) and then distribute them to the other kids in my class.

I figured out how to do multiplication and division right after being introduced to numbers, addition and subtraction.

Sadly, all of these talents were discouraged. My parents thought that liking dinosaurs was inappropriate for a girl. They thought that writing would turn me into an unemployed drug addict (they thought all creative people were drug addicts), and I was constantly told not to think ahead of my grade level.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

08 Dec 2007, 5:26 pm

I was reading at 2, forming scientific theories at 6 (odd, since I have nothing approaching a scientific frame of mind), and patting out drum rythyms without training--and on time--at 7.

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 5:33 pm

mikebw wrote:
I was never top in class at anything. My parents taught me to read and write before first grade, but I wasn't the only kid that could, and the teachers taught me cursive. My parents also taught me some math, but again there were kids that were more advanced than me. My teacher told me I read out loud really well, but I thought most of the other kids read out loud just as well as I did.

I got good at drawing through years of practice. I started out tracing, then copying, then drawing from my imagination. Some kids thought I was great and that I would become some famous comic artist. But again, there were kids better than me though they were few.

Overall I'm pretty much average.

I feel the same way about myself right now.
I know a lot of kids are getting higher grades in math and are in a higher level english class than I am, but I just try to remember that grades and class rank don't really matter in the long run.
All the inspiring and influential people are remembered for the things they did with the knowledge they had, not how much ahead of their math class they were or how high their grades were.

It's about how you utilize what you know, not about how much you know.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2007, 5:43 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Sadly, all of these talents were discouraged. My parents thought that liking dinosaurs was inappropriate for a girl. They thought that writing would turn me into an unemployed drug addict (they thought all creative people were drug addicts), and I was constantly told not to think ahead of my grade level.

That sucks! :(

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 5:57 pm

for what it's worth, I have perfect pitch and can hit the right note
My voice pays the bills and provides a roof over my head.

I sang when I was a baby in the crib, mimiced the songs on the radio, sang my mother's lullabys . .and cried when my mother sang 'don't sing, don't sing' I would wail. My mother could not carry a tune in a bucket. She didn't care much for that.

Merle

Last edited by sinsboldly on 09 Dec 2007, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.