Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

GamerNerd07901
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2012, 11:11 am

I'm not sure which forum to post this on, but this seems like the right fit

For as long as I have gone to grade school, I have had trouble waking myself up to go to school on time. It wasn't such abig problem in elementary school, since I lived on the property directly behind my school, but it has gotten worse and worse, and though I make it on time 99% its almost always very close. like I need to get to where I need to go from a 3-5 minute drive by 7:10. I usually get myself up by 6:50 and out the door by 7.

It's worth noting that I stay up late. ALOT. I can count on one hand the times I have gone to bed before 10pm in the last ten years, and I am 17. My parents have always said that there was a correlation between these things. So I tried to go to bed early for a while, and it did'nt work. Also, I have been a night owl basically, my entire life. I honestly believe that I have adapted myself to need less sleep, given that I get an average of 3-5 hours a night, and I can still function more or less normaly in the morning, give or take maybe a 1/2 hour of drowsiness that I sleep off on the but, but the morning bus always makes me a little drowsy.

thoughts (and/or suggestions for waking myself up?)

What is learning? Its paying attention. its opening yourself up to this great big ball of****that we call life! And whats the worst that could happen? You get bit in the ass! Well let me tell you, My ass looks like hamburger meat,But I can still sit down!

DJames
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

Start retiring to bed at an earlier time, to begin with. I place the alarm across the room so that I have no choice
but to rise and switch it off. By that stage, returning to bed would be a fool's errand. I also awake an hour earlier
than necessary and therefore have time for myself before having to commit my efforts to a new and laborious day.
I read incessantly in that time for the most part (I'm perusing 'A brief history of time' for the second time at the moment,
and poetry always) and when it comes time to depart, I pause at the front door for a moment, whereupon I cogitate
before this interesting, exuberant rural painting we have hanging up. The ambiance of the painting is decidedly
that of a fresh rustic morning. That induces in me a greater sense of confidence and ease in leaving the house
for a wretched school. Perhaps you could locate some comfort of tantamount effect yourself. But I digress.
The simple fact of the matter is that you must sleep in order to wake betimes. That is plain and logical.
You trained yourself to keep an eye out nightlong, so untrain yourself and return to your body's more natural rhythms.
Good luck.

P.S. I speak as a lad of your own age who was in a similar situation long ago. Sleep is simply indispensable. Without sleep,
you will not grow, you will not perform at your greatest intellectual capacity, and you will resemble something lobotomized,
if not walking dead. Try skipping a night's sleep altogether so that the following night you have the greater incentive to sleep
early. That might ignite the pattern, as it did for me.

If all goes awry, one can always acquire amphetamines. They proved well for Johnny Cash.

GamerNerd07901
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2012, 5:53 pm

Well, I used to stay up all night sometimes, though even then I didn't do it often. But in recent times all nighters have been my one absolute no no. this after I did it once on a sunday, got back from temple religious school and literaly passed out. My head was so messed up after I got up, i needed to lie down for like 20 minutes to assemble a train of thought.
still. I don't really have that kind of problem unless I pull an all nighter except for like the 5 seconds after I open my eyes in the morning. But I suspect that happens to everyone.

What is learning? Its paying attention. its opening yourself up to this great big ball of****that we call life! And whats the worst that could happen? You get bit in the ass! Well let me tell you, My ass looks like hamburger meat,But I can still sit down!

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2012, 4:46 pm

It was something I had to bear with. My mom called me lazy everyday and mocked me a bit. Currently I go to bed at 10pm or 2am and wake up at 11 or 12. That's more sleep than normal but it's what I need to get my brain to wake up too. I did the whole 6 hrs sleep thing for a while and I was a zombie. I'm trying to make a lifestyle where I control these types of things. One time I slept for like 16 hrs. My mom woke me up and was like "what's wrong with you? you've been asleep for a day and a half".

See if you can make your schedule to where you get an extra hour of sleep or 2. If it matters I had massive growth spurts which lead to me basically going to school, coming home and going to sleep for a couple weeks. Wasn't consistent but a bummer cause I couldn't skate or anything.

theemor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2012, 7:22 pm

Only the first week of a new academic year(never mind term, by that point I'm way too cynical) am I optimistic enough to get up at a reasonable time.

Since I started college(and so getting a bus) and wearing make-up every day I have had to get up about 20 minutes before my bus comes at its earliest(8.10 AM, so 7.50). If I get up at that time though it's likely I'll be in a rush. Usually I can persuade my self to get up at 7.40, this gives me enough time to make sure I look somewhat presentable and to not be feeling stressful about being late. Though even then sometimes I feel too depressed and honestly think up until 7.50 that I'll never leave my bed.

During the weekend I find it very hard to motivate my self to wake up at an early time, I usually feel so depressed in the mornings, even though I'm physically awake, mentally I'm still v. tired, so usually end up sleeping in until 1 PM on Saturday after going to bed around 3 AM. Then on Sunday 'til around 4/5 PM after staying up 'til around 8/9 AM(I usually go running at 4 AM). Then on Monday I'll have done an all-nighter. I usually feel sick as I'm on the bus and don't want to talk to anyone, then I start to lighten up a bit later. It's only really bad if I got up before 12 on the Sunday though.

I found that for the short period in which I quit caffeine I didn't have this problem to the same degree.