Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Have you ever gotten in an argument with a teacher??
Yes 94%  94%  [ 32 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 9:29 am

I got in quite a few. I remember once the question in the text book was something like "If the surface of the earth was made of something like rubber would lightning every strike the surface"?? I said yes and the teacher was like next person and I stood up and said you hold up right now I have proof, which of course got me in trouble but I didn't care. I knew I was right 1.) if the lighting had no where to go the charge would build up and eventually strike the ground because the energy would force the lighting away from the cloud 2.) the book said nothing about what the mantle and core of the earth which do have large amounts of metal remember lighting will strike hit then move through a non conductive substance to get to the conductive substance.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 11:04 am

Quote:
If the surface of the earth was made of something like rubber would lightning every strike the surface"??

What kind of stupid question is that, anyway?

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 2:25 pm

i was one of those kids at school that was always right, i was 10 and i knew i was smarter than the teachers. they didnt like this.
no one would.
my advice now?
keep your mouth shut.
my advice then?
im going to do it anyway.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 2:47 pm

I was definitely not smarter than the teachers. It's big of me to admit that, I know.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 3:00 pm

I was stood in the corner for asking the wrestling coach who was also the math teacher ( that read the next chapter in the math book for his lesson plans) what the value of Zero was.

He wasn't ready to discuss it, as he had just told the class it was a 'place holder' and not a number. I said that just didn't sound right, that it wasn't a value when it obviously had value as a place holder. He said it had no value, it was only a place holder. Hey, I thought, even I knew I would rather have 10 dollars than 1 dollar and that zero had a lot of value.

he just blew up and the next thing I knew he drug me out of my chair and to the corner and told me to stand there the rest of the hour. I just turned around and stimmed while he taught the rest of the laughing class.

I knew I was just a place holder in early school, and I would be damned if I had no value!

Merle

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 3:08 pm

I've had so many arguements with teachers I can't count. I thought I was done when my turn at school was over, but now I'm fighting with them over my own daughter and earlier on my son. Wish my mom had fought more for me rather than buy into whatever anyone told her.

Perfect example..describing need for increased homework time due to dysgraphia and need for downtime..elicits response: What do you do for discipline.

So I should discipline the AS out of her so she can fit your needs for homework completion?

These are the things that make me consider home schooling :)

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 4:50 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:
If the surface of the earth was made of something like rubber would lightning every strike the surface"??

What kind of stupid question is that, anyway?

A question from a 10 year old text book from the cold dark world of stupidity.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 4:56 pm

these questions are designed to promote debate and true knowledge of a subject.
not stupid. we go to school with nt's as well.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 6:21 pm

Bunni wrote:
Perfect example..describing need for increased homework time due to dysgraphia and need for downtime..elicits response: What do you do for discipline.

So I should discipline the AS out of her so she can fit your needs for homework completion?

:)

that was the approach my parents took, however no one had to suggest it to them, they had been doing it for years to their 'recalcitrant and headstrong' daughter.

damn, that AS sure makes you recalcitrant!

* obstinately defiant of authority or restraint
2 a: difficult to manage or operate b: not responsive to treatment c: resistant <this subject is recalcitrant both to observation and to experiment — G. G. Simpson>

Merle

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 6:40 pm

don't forget non-compliant :) We laugh at that one all the time :)

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 7:34 pm

I quite often do. Especially now, that I pay with my own (and Ma's) money for education, I care about it. And if there are obvious mistakes, I point them out.

Once, at the 'Gymnasium' (think high school or first year of college), I argued with my biology teacher about something which seemed to be completely against my sense of logic and geometry. The rest of the class just watched the argument. In the next Biology class, the teacher admitted that she was wrong and brought chocolate marshmellows for the entire class :D

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2008, 5:59 pm

I once got in an arguement with my teacher because I wrote a poem where I think I said too much, and I made the mistake of leaving it on her desk. She wanted to give it to the counselors. She won, but they left me alone now.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 7:29 pm

I got into arguments with nearly all of my teachers in middle and high school. I don't remember back far enough to elementary school. I tended to argue with the teachers I was pretty sure weren't competent and some of them got drilled into the ground. *smirks*

Now, I usually argue a little bit to make sure my instructors know what they're talking about and usually just leave them alone after that. I still have the ability to ask those really obscure questions that no one else comes up with and that my PhD professors have to look in their reference books to find out the answers. ;)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 4:52 am

Must be fun.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 2:51 pm

Practicaly on the daily basis when I was in public school. I would often get violent too. Most teachers were afaird of me too and I was just a ten year old girl.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 3:15 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:
I got in quite a few. I remember once the question in the text book was something like "If the surface of the earth was made of something like rubber would lightning every strike the surface"?? I said yes and the teacher was like next person and I stood up and said you hold up right now I have proof, which of course got me in trouble but I didn't care. I knew I was right 1.) if the lighting had no where to go the charge would build up and eventually strike the ground because the energy would force the lighting away from the cloud 2.) the book said nothing about what the mantle and core of the earth which do have large amounts of metal remember lighting will strike hit then move through a non conductive substance to get to the conductive substance.

So then the fight wasn't because the teacher said that you were wrong, but because he didn't automatically grant that you were right.

One of the things they teach prospective teachers in college is to never always automatically tell students when they give the correct answers. Its one of the best ways to determine who in the class truly knows the answer and who is just giving what they think the teacher ants them to be