Feeling empathy for inanimate objects

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

QFT
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2019, 12:31 am

Joe90 wrote:
I've watched too many Toy Story movies, and I know I don't believe that objects (not just toys) physically come alive, I do however think that objects have the same feelings than the toys in the Toy Story movies do, like emotional attachment, panic, fear, sadness, etc. So if I throw a tattered pair of socks away, I imagine that all the other socks in the drawer are grieving for their lost friends, and the discarded socks are feeling frightened. To avoid becoming a hoarder, I have to be really strong, tell myself that these objects do not have any kind of a conscience, put them in the bin and get on with my life. But I still can't help feeling anxious about it afterwards. I'm just scared that one day I might give in to my empathy for objects and actually hoard everything to keep it safe.

Actually, this is the reason why i am a hoarder.

But I found a real neat solution: I rent a storage room so I put most of the things I hoard over there.

The exceptions are the cat-cards that I treat as if they were alive cats. I don't like putting them in storage since I feel like they would feel cold/neglected there. Although when I go visit my mom for school break I "do" put them in storage. I am just afraid what if, after school break, my mom decides to come to my place with me, and sees the cats in my room and will think I am weird. So I put them in storage when I visit my mom; but, other than that, they stay in my room.

But as far as everything else I hoard, they are in the storage and I am okay with it, since those things aren't resembling anything alive, just things I feel bad throwing away.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 12:55 pm

Feel empathy for stuffed animals. My stuffed animals are my friends and are there when nobody else is. Whenever I see a stuffed animal in a store who is the last in stock I just want to bring them home, hug and watch TV with them. I’ve actually done that before.

QFT
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2019, 1:11 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
watch TV with them.

I currently have 5 cat-cards. Two big ones represent two of my ex-s and the three small ones were just cats. The birthdays of those two ex-s are real close to each other: one is Nov 5, the other is Nov 9. Since I didn't have time to spend the whole day I made a party for them that lasted that week. And yes, we watched TV. In particular, I shown them "Groundog day" which is the movie Nov 9 ex shown me the first day I was at her place and I shown them "Fireproof" which is the movie me and Nov 5 ex watched at the sane time while we were dating long distance and tried to synchronize what we watch. I also shown them "gone by the wind" which is a movie Nov 5 ex watched and wanted me to see it but I didn't because I thought it was 40 hour long when it was actually 4 hour long. Incidentally I didn't have time to see gone by the wind this tone around either: I only saw a beginning and ending. But I let it run while I went to do my studies so that they saw the whole thing.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 2:21 pm

QFT wrote:
watch TV with them.

I currently have 5 cat-cards. Two big ones represent two of my ex-s and the three small ones were just cats. The birthdays of those two ex-s are real close to each other: one is Nov 5, the other is Nov 9. Since I didn't have time to spend the whole day I made a party for them that lasted that week. And yes, we watched TV. In particular, I shown them "Groundog day" which is the movie Nov 9 ex shown me the first day I was at her place and I shown them "Fireproof" which is the movie me and Nov 5 ex watched at the sane time while we were dating long distance and tried to synchronize what we watch. I also shown them "gone by the wind" which is a movie Nov 5 ex watched and wanted me to see it but I didn't because I thought it was 40 hour long when it was actually 4 hour long. Incidentally I didn't have time to see gone by the wind this tone around either: I only saw a beginning and ending. But I let it run while I went to do my studies so that they saw the whole thing.

I'm sorry but are stuffed animals called "cards" where you live?

QFT
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2019, 2:27 pm

QFT wrote:
watch TV with them.

I'm sorry but are stuffed animals called "cards" where you live?

No they weren't stuffed animals. The reason I have affection to them is that I associate cats with softness so that, even though they are made from paper, the fact that there are cards drawn on them they are soft in my mind.

The Fooksa dog I talked about in the other reply was in fact stuffed animal. But she I'd in Russia and I am in the US.

QFT
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2019, 5:18 pm

QFT wrote:
Sometimes I wish my mom were to throw a party with lots of people, and preferably lots of kids. Then I would just hide that duck somewhere and then take it with me once I leave, and that way I would save it from ever having to endure it again -- and she wouldn't know it was me due to all those people at the party that might have done it. But I know this won't happen since my mom's house is a mess, which she never had time to clean up after moving there a year ago, so she is too ashamed to invite anyone over. So I am not sure what to do.

UPDATE: Surprise, surprise, surprise: I found an opportunity to do what I just described in the above quote. No, we didn't have a party. Instead, we went to Hawaii for a week, and my mom found someone to be in the house while we are gone since she was concerned what if people would come stealing things. So, when we got home yesterday night, the first thing I did was I went to the bathroom before she did, put that duck in my backpack, and then went to my room and hid it. So now it is hidden in my room. Yes my mom used the bathroom after me, but she didn't make any comments about that duck missing. I guess she just assumes it was broken while we were gone or something. Anyway, the next step is that 10 days from now, when I will go back to New Mexico, I will take that duck with me. That step should be the easier of the two. I am almost positive it will be the success :)

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 10:45 pm

I have felt really sad and disturbed when I've seen stuffed animals or toy dolls thrown around.

I have a stuffed animal that I've had since I was a baby, Miss Lamb. I don't have her in my bed anymore but I keep her on my night stand (she’s fragile). I’ve always been very attached to her. She came to the hospital with me when I was in labor, I take her with me when I travel, I sometimes kept her in my backpack at school (except middle school and high school, I didn't want anyone possibly finding out). If anything happened to her, like if she was ripped or lost, I'd be devastated.

My babysitter's son ripped out her music box when I was five and I'm still salty about it.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 10:52 pm

i still have my original baby blanket that i was hauled home from the hospital in so many decades ago, it rests in a drawer safe from the elements.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 10:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i still have my original baby blanket that i was hauled home from the hospital in so many decades ago, it rests in a drawer safe from the elements.

I would still have mine but my grandma made me get rid of it when I was like 8. I'm still upset about it. I have a Ninja Turtles blanket I've been using for ten years and it's getting kind of worn out. I use it a lot though and I'm attached to it. ;(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 11:07 pm

martianprincess wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I would still have mine but my grandma made me get rid of it when I was like 8. I'm still upset about it. I have a Ninja Turtles blanket I've been using for ten years and it's getting kind of worn out. I use it a lot though and I'm attached to it. ;(

i dragged it around with me as a security blanket just like linus [charlie brown/"peanuts"] until about age 7 when folks took it from me and stuck it in a drawer. it later was the baby blanket for one of my nieces until i got it back a while ago. did you ever ask if it had been kept somewhere? how would you feel if you got it back now?
i never had a teddy bear in bed with me, but i did have a toilet plunger that served in the same capacity, until folks took that too away from me and stuck it in a pile of goo.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 11:18 pm

auntblabby wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i dragged it around with me as a security blanket just like linus [charlie brown/"peanuts"] until about age 7 when folks took it from me and stuck it in a drawer. it later was the baby blanket for one of my nieces until i got it back a while ago. did you ever ask if it had been kept somewhere? how would you feel if you got it back now?
i never had a teddy bear in bed with me, but i did have a toilet plunger that served in the same capacity, until folks took that too away from me and stuck it in a pile of goo.

I have no idea, I wish I did. I did ask, a lot. I never got any answers. If I got it back now I'd be really happy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 11:28 pm

martianprincess wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I have no idea, I wish I did. I did ask, a lot. I never got any answers. If I got it back now I'd be really happy.

i'd be angry if my grandmother treated me like that.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 11:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i'd be angry if my grandmother treated me like that.

She had good intentions, she just didn't make the best choice in that regard. I forgive her. She also died ten years ago and I miss her everyday. She had a tough life and she did her best. I have more good memories of her than bad.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 11:34 pm

martianprincess wrote:
She had good intentions, she just didn't make the best choice in that regard. I forgive her. She also died ten years ago and I miss her everyday. She had a tough life and she did her best. I have more good memories of her than bad.

:( i hope that in the fullness of time and space, that you two meet again in good time.

KoalaKid1578
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2019, 5:21 pm

I 100% relate to having empathy for inanimate objects. When I was a kid I use to sleep with all my toys because I didn't want one to feel left out and alone. I also had a lot of trouble letting go and throwing old toys that weren't of any use. This has calmed down quite a bit as an adult, but I still feel weirdly attached to objects far more than people.