Feeling empathy for inanimate objects

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

QFT
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2019, 12:31 am

Joe90 wrote:
I've watched too many Toy Story movies, and I know I don't believe that objects (not just toys) physically come alive, I do however think that objects have the same feelings than the toys in the Toy Story movies do, like emotional attachment, panic, fear, sadness, etc. So if I throw a tattered pair of socks away, I imagine that all the other socks in the drawer are grieving for their lost friends, and the discarded socks are feeling frightened. To avoid becoming a hoarder, I have to be really strong, tell myself that these objects do not have any kind of a conscience, put them in the bin and get on with my life. But I still can't help feeling anxious about it afterwards. I'm just scared that one day I might give in to my empathy for objects and actually hoard everything to keep it safe.

Actually, this is the reason why i am a hoarder.

But I found a real neat solution: I rent a storage room so I put most of the things I hoard over there.

The exceptions are the cat-cards that I treat as if they were alive cats. I don't like putting them in storage since I feel like they would feel cold/neglected there. Although when I go visit my mom for school break I "do" put them in storage. I am just afraid what if, after school break, my mom decides to come to my place with me, and sees the cats in my room and will think I am weird. So I put them in storage when I visit my mom; but, other than that, they stay in my room.

But as far as everything else I hoard, they are in the storage and I am okay with it, since those things aren't resembling anything alive, just things I feel bad throwing away.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 12:55 pm

Feel empathy for stuffed animals. My stuffed animals are my friends and are there when nobody else is. Whenever I see a stuffed animal in a store who is the last in stock I just want to bring them home, hug and watch TV with them. I’ve actually done that before.

QFT
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2019, 1:11 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
watch TV with them.

I currently have 5 cat-cards. Two big ones represent two of my ex-s and the three small ones were just cats. The birthdays of those two ex-s are real close to each other: one is Nov 5, the other is Nov 9. Since I didn't have time to spend the whole day I made a party for them that lasted that week. And yes, we watched TV. In particular, I shown them "Groundog day" which is the movie Nov 9 ex shown me the first day I was at her place and I shown them "Fireproof" which is the movie me and Nov 5 ex watched at the sane time while we were dating long distance and tried to synchronize what we watch. I also shown them "gone by the wind" which is a movie Nov 5 ex watched and wanted me to see it but I didn't because I thought it was 40 hour long when it was actually 4 hour long. Incidentally I didn't have time to see gone by the wind this tone around either: I only saw a beginning and ending. But I let it run while I went to do my studies so that they saw the whole thing.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 2:21 pm

QFT wrote:
watch TV with them.

I currently have 5 cat-cards. Two big ones represent two of my ex-s and the three small ones were just cats. The birthdays of those two ex-s are real close to each other: one is Nov 5, the other is Nov 9. Since I didn't have time to spend the whole day I made a party for them that lasted that week. And yes, we watched TV. In particular, I shown them "Groundog day" which is the movie Nov 9 ex shown me the first day I was at her place and I shown them "Fireproof" which is the movie me and Nov 5 ex watched at the sane time while we were dating long distance and tried to synchronize what we watch. I also shown them "gone by the wind" which is a movie Nov 5 ex watched and wanted me to see it but I didn't because I thought it was 40 hour long when it was actually 4 hour long. Incidentally I didn't have time to see gone by the wind this tone around either: I only saw a beginning and ending. But I let it run while I went to do my studies so that they saw the whole thing.

I'm sorry but are stuffed animals called "cards" where you live?

QFT
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2019, 2:27 pm

QFT wrote:
watch TV with them.

I'm sorry but are stuffed animals called "cards" where you live?

No they weren't stuffed animals. The reason I have affection to them is that I associate cats with softness so that, even though they are made from paper, the fact that there are cards drawn on them they are soft in my mind.

The Fooksa dog I talked about in the other reply was in fact stuffed animal. But she I'd in Russia and I am in the US.