Little known positive facts about myself

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 10:07 am

1. I was born in the Year of the Dragon (1988) and am an Earth Dragon going by the Chinese elemental system.

2. My Greek Zodiac sign is Leo. My name is also derived from Mars who was the Roman god of war.

3. I have Cherokee and possibly Apache heritage in addition to my mainly English heritage (Mother’s family name is Drake but no relation to Sir Francis Drake). My great grandfather owned Cherokee land in Oklahoma before it became a state. I have two cousins who are half-Tejano and some more that have different degrees of African American ancestry.

4. I am a third cousin as of removed to Buddy Holly.

5. I have had an interest in dinosaurs since my childhood and actually know more about them than most people I encounter do since they think Jurassic Park is everything about them.

6. I have met Michael Gira of Swans, Sascha Konietzko and Lucia Cifarelli of KMFDM, Tommy Victor of Prong, and King Buzzo and Dale Crover of the Melvins in person.

7. I have a friend who is a former combat mercenary and is being watched by the government teaching me martial arts. He has taught me elements of Karate, Muay Thai, Eskrima (He’s originally from the Philippines), and Russian and Israeli styles of Krav Maga as well as the weapons associated with them such as sword, stick, and spear fighting. The Filipino boar spear is quite a hefty weapon and gives you a good workout. The term martial arts also derives from Mars the Roman god of war as well.

8. I read science fiction like David Brin’s Uplift books, William Gibson’s (An American Canadian) novels, S. Andrew Swann’s Moreau Quartet, Kieran Shea’s Koko Martstellar trilogy, Robert Brockway’s Vicious Circuits trilogy, and currently Dan Stout’s Carter Archives.

9. I am a fan of X-Men and Teen Titans. In fact, the only new comics I am reading regularly are most of the current X-books and Teen Titans Academy. I don’t care for Marvel’s other current titles and am only looking forward to the Crush & Lobo mini-series coming this summer and maybe the rest of the main Infinite Frontier title when it comes to future DC titles.

10. When it comes to fighting game franchises, my favorites are Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Samurai Shodown, and Darkstalkers.

11. I collect Robot Damashiis, mostly the ones from the various Gundam series but also Dunbine and L-Gaim. One of my friends wants me to get into Gunpla and I want to get the main Evangelion figures from the Soul of Chogokin Spec line.

12. I have met and got an autograph from Jason David Frank who was the Green and White Ranger of Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers. He actually lives in my state.

13. I have written some short stories and done some drawings that you can find online.

14. I have my other screen name (Markness) published in an official hentai art book by Yamatogawa.

15. I have an autographed art print by Caitlin Glass who voices Mina Ashido of Boku no Hero Academia/My Hero Academia. I also have an autographed art print by Chuck Huber. I’ve met both in person.

Last edited by Marknis on 10 Apr 2021, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 2:29 pm

Wow - what stimulated that?

I thought you were going on hiatus. Anyway.

I am sorry to say I couldn't relate to most of that, since I am old enough to be your grandmother and don't care for sci-fi or animation. But it was cool seeing you post stuff that you feel good about.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 5:08 pm

I like your post

“It’s better to light a single candle than curse the darkness”

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 8:17 pm

I just want to post something positive and hear something nice from those who like me before I go on my hiatus.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 8:44 pm

I think you're doing some good work trying to focus on good things about yourself and life.

Keep it up :wtg:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 2:43 am

#4 stood out as the coolest one to me. 8)

Marknis wrote:
I just want to post something positive and hear something nice from those who like me before I go on my hiatus.

Or you could send your alter ego on hiatus and let this new Marknis stick around and post positive threads every day and see how that goes. ;)

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 9:46 am

goldfish21 wrote:
#4 stood out as the coolest one to me. 8)

Good to know that my cousin is still appreciated world wide! I also would rather listen to him than Elvis Presley. For one thing, Buddy could actually play his guitar. There is a good reason why even heavy metal and punk musicians prefer him over the other.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 9:49 am

Yep. Buddy Holly is cool.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

11 Apr 2021, 11:26 am

I'm impressed that you've shared your art and writing with other people! I'm too scared to show anyone something I've written (beyond little forum posts) and I've no skill at all with drawing (and probably not with writing anymore since it's so long since I've tried). I remember you mentioning martial arts before, that sounds like a gret way to make you feel better physically and mentally.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 3:56 pm

Wow...meeting some creators of your favorite franchises
sure must have been surreal experiences for you! 8)

(Think of the scene in Zombieland where Woody Harrelson meets Bill Murray. :lol: )

I will admit that all of you that for the first three years after I graduated from high school, I had chance encounter after chance encounter with some of my favorite actors & actresses.

Thankfully, I have hardly had any since then! :D

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 1:08 pm

That’s interesting, I wish more people would make posts like this! :)