My city is a cultural wasteland

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2021, 4:50 am

r00tb33r wrote:
^ I live in the general region. Baltimore is the butt of all jokes when it comes to the way it is run and the amount of violent crime there, especially murders.

The aquarium is nice though.

Baltimore may be the butt of jokes for people in N. Virginia. I actually live closer than you. I lived there for years and my son has been living there over 10 years although he is leaving this summer. Nobody denies there are problems but a lot of people also very much enjoy living there. Again, I recommend visiting the r/baltimore subreddit to get a good idea of what's happening and maybe ask questions. Like I said, you'll get some negativity but I still believe the overall experience would be positive. If the OP is not familiar with Reddit I would encourage him to give it a try, there's a lot there in general.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2021, 4:49 pm

On Google Maps, it appears to have already been replaced with "New Song Fellowship Church". This is the worst fate to have befallen the Landmark. Religious groups have been protesting indie/foreign films since the 1970s. It's going from a place of liberation and free expression, to one that will teach people how to be conformist, establishment-loving, sex-hating buzzkills.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 1:44 am

MaxE wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
^ I live in the general region. Baltimore is the butt of all jokes when it comes to the way it is run and the amount of violent crime there, especially murders.

The aquarium is nice though.

Baltimore may be the butt of jokes for people in N. Virginia. I actually live closer than you. I lived there for years and my son has been living there over 10 years although he is leaving this summer. Nobody denies there are problems but a lot of people also very much enjoy living there. Again, I recommend visiting the r/baltimore subreddit to get a good idea of what's happening and maybe ask questions. Like I said, you'll get some negativity but I still believe the overall experience would be positive. If the OP is not familiar with Reddit I would encourage him to give it a try, there's a lot there in general.

Pfft, I'm not stupid enough to live in NOVA. It's crowded and overpriced. Everyone I knew who moved there felt themselves poorer after the move. I live in the sweet spot in central VA, where income to cost of living is a whole lot more favorable and the area is nice.

Anyway, as far as Baltimore is concerned, it's not a di... sorry, distance measuring contest. The inner harbor district is kind of nice I suppose, for a visitor anyway. It's unlikely you'd live there.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2021, 8:20 pm

It's hopeless. Trying to make enough money to move to Seattle won't work. Trying to get people here to stop being conservative isn't working.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 2:26 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
It's hopeless. Trying to make enough money to move to Seattle won't work. Trying to get people here to stop being conservative isn't working.

Try to make enough to move to Vancouver, then if you fall short you can still afford Seattle. :P

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2021, 2:47 am

I live near Toledo Ohio and it's another place you can add to list. Not so many religious right types, but it's a place that's stuck in the past IMO. Either people think it's the best place since sliced cheese or they hate it, very little gray area. Very little culture and stuck in it's ways. There are certain people who are lifers here, who get made if you say anything negative about the place. One day I will leave, I keep telling myself.

I'm not well traveled but The Pacific NW sounds like a dream, it looks pricey though in terms of housing. Texas sounds like hell to me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 8:49 am

King Kat 1 wrote:
I live near Toledo Ohio and it's another place you can add to list. Not so many religious right types, but it's a place that's stuck in the past IMO. Either people think it's the best place since sliced cheese or they hate it, very little gray area. Very little culture and stuck in it's ways. There are certain people who are lifers here, who get made if you say anything negative about the place. One day I will leave, I keep telling myself.

I'm not well traveled but The Pacific NW sounds like a dream, it looks pricey though in terms of housing. Texas sounds like hell to me.

It would take a Cultural Revolution, like the one Mao did in China, to get Texas on par with California and New York (and eventually get the U.S. on par with Sweden).