Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 7:11 am

The pastor at the soup kitchen I visit gave me the number of a woman my moms age. She is looking for a roommate too. I talked to the lady on the phone and she seemed just as unsure as I am about getting a roommate. But we got along great and she seems really nice. If we find a place that would be great because then I could get a small job. It’s too stressful where I am now to work. Unfortunately when I was saying goodbye I sounded a bit unsure of myself and said “talk to you later... maybe.” Yeah I’m not very good at selling it am I. But I said “maybe” just because she said that she would call me, perhaps if she found a 2 bedroom that’s affordable enough. But anyway. Just wanted to post something positive because I tend to complain a lot about the same things. If this doesn’t work out, I’m proud that I at least had the courage to call her and ask if she wanted to be roommates.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 7:56 am

Good luck! I am probably your mom's age, maybe a little older. I don't have a roommate, but when my husband either dies or goes into a nursing home, I have thought I might get someone to live in the second bedroom, free or reduced rent in exchange for chores. (I'm elderly and disabled.) All of us would prefer to not need the extra help or the rent money, but most of us are not so independent.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 8:21 am

Give this lady a call!

This sounds like this would be a good situation for you.

But tell her, honestly, that you are on "disability." Let her know right off the bat.

If she accepts you after telling her that, and you prove to pay your part of the rent on time, then you would be in a great situation, indeed.

You could help her out with things with which she has difficulty----and she can help you with things with which you have difficulty.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 8:47 pm

Thanks guys. I know I’ll get out of that place eventually. Was talking to mom last night and she was telling me some sage advice about how not to give up because the bad times don’t last. Almost teared up a little while talking to her because I want to believe that. The possible roommate lady I was talking to said she would call me if she found anything she liked for a two bedroom. But if I find anything first I might give her a call and mention to her I’m on disability. I don’t think I mentioned that before.