New therapist was so bad I'm never seeing a therapist again

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 9:08 pm

I tried. I seriously seriously tried. I genuinely thought therapy would help me. I really did. I had 3 sessions with a new therapist this week and after that im never going to see a therapist again. Ever. I dont give a damn what happens in the future, heck I dont care if tomorrow I lose my dad to cancer, im never seeing a therapist again. Why, you may ask?

The therapist I saw was all major types of suck. very cold and mean and detached. no empathy. Would constantly harshly criticize me for everything. She spent an entire 30 minutes ranting about how she hates it when minorities complain about racism when I told her some of the issues of discrimination Palestinians face that bother me. A white woman seriously lecturing me about how minorities just love to complain and need to work harder....

When I told her all the hardships I suffered that led me to therapy she said I love to be a victim and that I enjoy it because it gives me an excuse to not work hard. She even compared me talking honestly and openly about the hardships ive faced that were weighing me down, and this is comical, she actually compared me to Hitler (! !! !! !) blaming Jews for Germany's problems. I kid you not. No exaggeration.

She also had a NASTY habit of injecting politics into sessions even when it had nothing to do with anything. She'd always make random asides and quips bashing and lambasting democrats and Biden even though I never once brought up politics. She kept saying how she cant stand liberals and how they just love to complain and seek handouts and thats why America is destroyed.

Honestly if this is what therapy is like, comparing me to Hitler, harshly criticizing me, and telling me im not succeeding because I love to complain and be a victim, then to hell with therapy.

Master Oogway

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 9:10 pm

What the actual hell?

Did you report her to the governing body of psychologists, or wherever she's registered?!

That's beyond unprofessional. Who was this woman?!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 9:23 pm

^ If you are able to report her you genuinely should. She's an overall crappy therapist (and a crappy human being), and if she put you off therapy forever she needs to GTFO of that profession because you may not be the first or last person she affects like that. I am so sorry you had this horrible experience.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 10:09 pm

Yowzas. She sounds quite unpleasant.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 10:30 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
What the actual hell?

Did you report her to the governing body of psychologists, or wherever she's registered?!

That's beyond unprofessional. Who was this woman?!

I reported her. Hopefully she has her therapy license revoked.

Master Oogway

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 11:57 pm

How did you find this bird, in the first place?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 12:03 am

My first husband and I sought marriage counseling but we had no money, so we got some dimbulb who agreed to see us for $10 a session.

She was a corpulent menopausal woman who evidently suffered from hot flashes, because she had the window wide open the whole time. I asked her to close the window, because I could hear every word of the conversation going on in the parking lot immediately below, and I figured if I could hear them, they could hear me. And I needed some privacy if discussing issues in my marriage.

This woman told us, "Sound travels up. They can't hear us, because sound travels up."

My husband and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes. We both knew this wasn't true, she was gaslighting us because her physical comfort evidently trumped our psychological comfort. We never went back.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2021, 1:10 am

I'm only really going to copy what others said in this thread. I have had very positive experiences in therapy, and this "therapist" you spoke to sounds totally alien to me. Therapists are not supposed to judge or dismiss their patient's feelings. Glad you got out of there and reported her, and sorry you had such a bad experience! Therapy is supposed to be a comfortable environment, even if you have to do difficult emotional work there.

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

18 Apr 2021, 10:18 pm

Beyond shameful. I am so angry for how she treated you!! Your problems are real and you deserve support and understanding.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 8:09 am

salad wrote:
I tried. I seriously seriously tried. I genuinely thought therapy would help me. I really did. I had 3 sessions with a new therapist this week and after that im never going to see a therapist again. Ever. I dont give a damn what happens in the future, heck I dont care if tomorrow I lose my dad to cancer, im never seeing a therapist again. Why, you may ask?

The therapist I saw was all major types of suck. very cold and mean and detached. no empathy. Would constantly harshly criticize me for everything. She spent an entire 30 minutes ranting about how she hates it when minorities complain about racism when I told her some of the issues of discrimination Palestinians face that bother me. A white woman seriously lecturing me about how minorities just love to complain and need to work harder....

When I told her all the hardships I suffered that led me to therapy she said I love to be a victim and that I enjoy it because it gives me an excuse to not work hard. She even compared me talking honestly and openly about the hardships ive faced that were weighing me down, and this is comical, she actually compared me to Hitler (! ! ! ! ! !) blaming Jews for Germany's problems. I kid you not. No exaggeration.

She also had a NASTY habit of injecting politics into sessions even when it had nothing to do with anything. She'd always make random asides and quips bashing and lambasting democrats and Biden even though I never once brought up politics. She kept saying how she cant stand liberals and how they just love to complain and seek handouts and thats why America is destroyed.

Honestly if this is what therapy is like, comparing me to Hitler, harshly criticizing me, and telling me im not succeeding because I love to complain and be a victim, then to hell with therapy.

That's not "what therapy is like" in general. There are some really bad therapists out there, but good ones do exist too.

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience, and that your therapist had so little empathy for your situation and was so generally unprofessional.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 10:16 pm

It seems like, in a LOT of areas, either this pandemic is bringing out the worst in people, or the "good people" all quit their jobs and we're left with the bottom of the barrel.
So much "customer service" is just severely lacking...that is, if people will even communicate back with us at all. GF is trying to deal with a lawyer right now, and she doesn't often reply to emails or voice messages.
Trying to order food or groceries for delivery is always a gamble.
And, needless to say, the USPS is basically held together with thumb tacks and chewing gum right now.

Bluefall
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2021, 11:02 pm

salad wrote:

When I told her all the hardships I suffered that led me to therapy she said I love to be a victim and that I enjoy it because it gives me an excuse to not work hard. She even compared me talking honestly and openly about the hardships ive faced that were weighing me down, and this is comical, she actually compared me to Hitler (! ! ! ! ! !) blaming Jews for Germany's problems. I kid you not. No exaggeration.

Was this your first experience with therapy?

salad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 11:35 pm

Bluefall wrote:
salad wrote:

Was this your first experience with therapy?

No but it is now my last

Master Oogway

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 11:36 pm

What happened when you reported her?

Will you hear back about that?

salad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 12:09 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
What happened when you reported her?

Will you hear back about that?

Her supervisor just said she's doing an investigation and will take whatever actions are deemed appropriate

Master Oogway