I dont understand why everyone is against me dying

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 6:31 am

If I think my life has no purpose and that id be better off dead I dont understand why people want to work so hard to keep me alive. This week I was hospitalized for almost a week because of suicide, and no matter how rationally and articulately I give my reasons for wanting to die and not be alive I keep getting my desires invalidated and reasons ignored, as if there's nothing rational about wanting to die and as if living is somehow the only rational option. Personally I dont want to live and there's nothing going to change that. Not therapy, not medicine, nothing. If I think my life has more fulfillment and meaning dead than alive, if I say that therapy nor medicine nor any coping skill can ever take away my desire to not live, why does society act as if forced hospitalization is going to change that. ive been hospitalized, taken medicine, tried group therapy, tried individual therapy with the worst therapist in the world, and honestly my desire to live is just as strong as it was before: nonexistent.

People assume that not wanting to live is a pathology and congenital to those who are crazy and or dangerous, Me, I dont see that. For me I simply dont think there is any more meaning or joy to gain by living whereas the pain of living makes it a bleak miserable reality that isn't worth the cost. Why cant a person honestly just not want to live without everyone making them seem opprobrious for daring to choose how they live on their own terms?

Master Oogway

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 6:21 pm

Many of us have experienced feeling like you do but then something changed and we found life WAS worth living again.

But if you are insistent on your position, please don't wave it in everybody's face, because you may influence others to give up sooner than they otherwise would. Suicide can be contagious. Also, your position may unnecessarily stress others who are already vulnerable.

Be responsible.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:32 pm

salad wrote:
People assume that not wanting to live is a pathology ...

The following sounds rather more like science than some kind of 'blind faith' assumption,
Quote:
studies in fields ranging from neuroanatomy, genetics and molecular psychiatry have led to a model whereby behavioural dysregulation, including suicidal behaviour (SB), develops as a function of biological adaptations in key brain systems. More recently, the unravelling of the unique epigenetic processes that occur in the brain has opened promising avenues in suicide research.

https://www.nature.com/articles/mp2017141

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2021, 1:37 am

Any direct attempt to dissuade you on my part would only be reiterating some cliche you've probably heard before. But I have been there before, and didn't do it. I feel better now, though not great and I still have bad days. But I'm glad I didn't go through with it. I'll die eventually anyway, that's the nature of life, and I've never been one to rush.

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2021, 1:52 am

salad wrote:
If I think my life has no purpose and that id be better off dead I dont understand why people want to work so hard to keep me alive. This week I was hospitalized for almost a week because of suicide, and no matter how rationally and articulately I give my reasons for wanting to die and not be alive I keep getting my desires invalidated and reasons ignored, as if there's nothing rational about wanting to die and as if living is somehow the only rational option. Personally I dont want to live and there's nothing going to change that. Not therapy, not medicine, nothing. If I think my life has more fulfillment and meaning dead than alive, if I say that therapy nor medicine nor any coping skill can ever take away my desire to not live, why does society act as if forced hospitalization is going to change that. ive been hospitalized, taken medicine, tried group therapy, tried individual therapy with the worst therapist in the world, and honestly my desire to live is just as strong as it was before: nonexistent.

People assume that not wanting to live is a pathology and congenital to those who are crazy and or dangerous, Me, I dont see that. For me I simply dont think there is any more meaning or joy to gain by living whereas the pain of living makes it a bleak miserable reality that isn't worth the cost. Why cant a person honestly just not want to live without everyone making them seem opprobrious for daring to choose how they live on their own terms?

Because people see value in your existence to them as opposed to your absence. People would be bothered by you dying and they benefit from you not dying, because they see value in you.

I tried group therapy for five years, only to conclude it was a scam to get involved in it.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 3:15 am

You've been through so much recently I'm wondering if later on you wont feel like this

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 3:30 pm

Because you matter to us.
Suicide is ending a human life, and that is wrong.
You are here for a reason, a purpose, none of us knows what that purpose that is.
God/Allah put you here, let Him guide your life and use you for His Service.

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2021, 12:33 am

I've wanted to end it all, many times. And that's not just an autism thing. Everyone feels like things are hopeless sometimes.
I was suicidal a few years ago, I'd lost 28 jobs. I lost my precious career and my home. My parents weren't helping me.

It's hard to be an adult with autism. I was finally hospitalized at age 42. I never thought I'd need it, I responsibly went to doctors and took meds for years. I worked, on and off, full time and part time.

If you have any family or friends, that's a big plus. Hospitals are not bad places. They're supposed to help you, doctors are, too. If the hospital has outpatient services, utilize them. You might need to get some counseling or therapy. Find out what makes you worthwhile and important, because you are!