I'm in the hospital.....again

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 8:41 pm

Years of head injuries and concussions are really taking their toll on me. While out hiking my head began to pound until I lost consciousness and collapsed. I just woke up right now to find myself in the hospital.

The pain feels terrible and its killing me. I also fractured my left arm even more since when I collapsed I collapsed on that arm. My fiancee is angry at me for hiding all of these issues from her. When I collapsed apparently she panicked and collapsed herself from fear something bad happened to me. She's also in one of the ER rooms dealing with the panic that I almost died to her

I have IVs in my body and sensors all over, and every few minutes a nurse comes to administer medication through the IV

Master Oogway

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 8:42 pm

Get better soon.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 8:44 pm

Sorry to hear this. Get well soon!

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 9:49 pm

Damn. Get well soon.

I collapsed couple times too in my life, once in public space and was really disappointed that people just literally step over and not a single person offered help. Diagnosis was some bs like "heat stroke", but now I believe it was anxiety attack and hyperventilation I didn't notice.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 10:16 pm

Do you think heat was a factor?

You have to take that head injury thing very seriously. Work with your doctors (especially neurologist) closely and don't go it alone. You just can't brave it out.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 11:17 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Do you think heat was a factor?

You have to take that head injury thing very seriously. Work with your doctors (especially neurologist) closely and don't go it alone. You just can't brave it out.

Heat probably was a factor since it was 84 degrees in Grand Marais where we were hiking

Regardless I'm going to be bedridden tomorrow

As depressed as I feel having my fiancee be by my side to console me and offer me love and support helps. She's still mad at me for pushing myself too hard and she was terrified that I died, but the worst didnt happen

Master Oogway

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 11:25 pm

Get well soon, salad.

I'm glad you'll be taking some time to rest.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 12:03 am

sorry to hear that

wont stop you though

salad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:53 am

enz wrote:
sorry to hear that

wont stop you though

Where theres a will there should always be a way

Master Oogway

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 2:29 am

salad wrote:
As depressed as I feel having my fiancee be by my side to console me and offer me love and support helps. She's still mad at me for pushing myself too hard and she was terrified that I died, but the worst didnt happen

You are not depressed, dude, you are upset. BIG DIFFERENCE. Watch your language, otherwise you will contribute to reenforcing misbelief held by some vulnerable members of WP.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jun 2021, 4:12 am

I hope they take proper care of you! Will you have a head scan? If you had repeated head injuries, it can be worth looking into.
Take care of yourself, too!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 4:55 am

magz wrote:
I hope they take proper care of you! Will you have a head scan? If you had repeated head injuries, it can be worth looking into.
Take care of yourself, too!

Head is always worth checking, but given there was pounding sensation and it happened during hike in a hot weather it is more likely to be something with vascular symptoms, probably something trivial like hyperventilation, dehydration or hyponatremia, overstimulation of vagus nerve by breathing too deeply. Might be even more trivial than that, like blood vessel in neck or shoulder pinched by bag straps.

Knowing how little effort it takes to choke out person by applying pressure to carotid artery, it's kind of surprising people carrying shoulder bags don't collapse all the time.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jun 2021, 7:36 am

I don't know, I've been trekking with heavy backpacks since I was 15 and never witnessed something like this - if there were no other serious conditions, Salad must have neglected a lot of alarm signals from his body.
Which, unfortunately, happens to some autistic people :(

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 8:45 am

He might also be having post-concussive problems affecting his judgment. I'm very concerned about the state of his brain, which I don't think has been given adequate recovery time since his last incident; also, did he further concuss during this incident in which he collapsed? People have to realize that multiple concussions is a serious, serious health threat. Look up "CTE football". My daughter has had multiple concussions and it has really messed with her life.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 9:06 am

We are here for you. Hang in there. It is hard to get exercise when you have falls and blackouts. My dad has had falls and blackouts - I wonder about getting him a three wheeled bicycle or one of those motorized chairs so he could at least go outside for a "walk" and see the sky and nature. Some people like to to water physical therapy where there is always a therapist near at hand - but obviously there is a cost factor to these things.

Anyway - you probably don't need me to "fix you" so much as you need emotional support.

Hang in there - your fiance will come around when the panic wears off - panic never lasts forever.

Keep sharing where you are emotionally as well as physically. These things are real.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 1:33 pm

magz wrote:
I don't know, I've been trekking with heavy backpacks since I was 15 and never witnessed something like this - if there were no other serious conditions, Salad must have neglected a lot of alarm signals from his body.
Which, unfortunately, happens to some autistic people :(

It's unlikely to happen unless your backpack is grossly unbalanced, but it's a possibility when you are recovering from injury and/or use cane or crutch. When you body compensates misalignment by stiffening your neck and back, you can pinch nerves or blood vessels even without carrying any load.

Yeah, it happened to me, I didn't notice hyperventilating in mildly uncomfortable situations for years and lost consciousness couple times.

I hope this is something trivial like that, not some serious health issue.