Depressive symptoms skyrocketing due to eating gluten

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2021, 9:59 pm

I'm allergic to gluten and dairy. Gluten especially acts like a poison on my body and causes extreme stomach pain, headaches, migraines and weakness. But even worse gluten plays a huge detriment to my mental health and causes severe depression and terrible mental health effects on my body, which is why getting off gluten improved my mental health by 90% and eliminated suicidality completely

Today while out I went to a restaurant to eat out after months of strict clean eating and rigorous training. My routine is normally to eat super perfectly clean 24/7 and most of the year, with once every few months I allow something tastier but not as strict to my diet. Being excited for this occasion i went to a nice Italian restaurant and asked for their gluten free menu. I asked the waitress if she can make my Penn Rosa gluten free, and I emphasized that it was due to allergy. I emphasized that several times and even when she brought the food I assumed it was gluten free. While eating it I noticed the food tasted creamier and more appetizing than normal and I was amazed since I never knew gluten free food could taste this good

Only gluten free food cant taste that good and I was given gluten by mistake

So here I am in my house sick, but even worse suffering my 1st bout of major depression in almost a month and this feels terrifying. I'm feeling weak, brain is spinning, and I feel poisoned

I'd rather not have to go to the ER since after a day or 2 the gluten should leave my system but right now this feels terrible and gross

I hope to get my money back tomorrow

As of now experiencing this depression feels uncomfortable and sad feelings and thoughts are flooding my brain.

Obviously gluten cant literally cause depression, but for someone like me whose sadness and pain is buried latent beneath the surface gluten is a major trigger for a depressive episode

Master Oogway

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 4:19 am

salad wrote:
Obviously gluten cant literally cause depression, but for someone like me whose sadness and pain is buried latent beneath the surface gluten is a major trigger for a depressive episode

There is scientific evidence suggesting gluten literally directly causes depression even in non-coeliac gluten sensitive people.

This is double impact when you feel bad as result of negligence or ignorance of others and this is triple impact when you are literally in pain. Get well!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 6:48 pm

salad wrote:
I'm allergic to gluten and dairy. Gluten especially acts like a poison on my body and causes extreme stomach pain, headaches, migraines and weakness. But even worse gluten plays a huge detriment to my mental health and causes severe depression and terrible mental health effects on my body, which is why getting off gluten improved my mental health by 90% and eliminated suicidality completely

I'm gluten intolerant, also.
I wish I knew that 60 years ago.

It's a biatch because most of what I like has gluten in it.
Thankfully, these days, there are a lot of gluten-free products out there.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 8:14 am

salad wrote:
I'm allergic to gluten and dairy...
Your thread subject line is misleading.  It should read, "Depressive symptoms skyrocketing due to gluten allergy".  As it stands, you are perpetuating the myth that gluten is bad.

Monitor what you eat, and stay away from glutenous foods and dairy products -- THAT will solve your problem.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 1:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
salad wrote:
I'm allergic to gluten and dairy...
Your thread subject line is misleading.  It should read, "Depressive symptoms skyrocketing due to gluten allergy".  As it stands, you are perpetuating the myth that gluten is bad.

Monitor what you eat, and stay away from glutenous foods and dairy products -- THAT will solve your problem.

I do monitor what I eat. I made sure to emphasize to the waitress to have gluten free Penn Rosa and she assured me it was gluten free

Master Oogway

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 1:24 pm

Gluten is bad, this is not a myth. Gliadin increases intestinal permeability, meaning stuff that supposed to stay in your guts can make it's way into your bloodstream and this is definitely not a good thing. Increased inflammation, increased risk of developing autoimmune conditions, cancer. Increased inflammation linked to development of depression among other things. Some people just happen to have strong autoimmune reaction to gluten proteins, the rest have normal immune reaction - increased inflammation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 1:52 pm

badRobot wrote:
Gluten is bad, this is not a myth. Gliadin increases intestinal permeability, meaning stuff that supposed to stay in your guts can make it's way into your bloodstream and this is definitely not a good thing. Increased inflammation, increased risk of developing autoimmune conditions, cancer. Increased inflammation linked to development of depression among other things. Some people just happen to have strong autoimmune reaction to gluten proteins, the rest have normal immune reaction - increased inflammation.
Citation, please?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm

Please, don't start a debate in The Haven.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 3:17 pm

↑ Understood.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 7:02 pm

Thank you!

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)