Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 8:18 am

Dr. Brytney Cobia, who works at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, wrote: "I'm admitting young healthy people to the hospital with very serious COVID infections.  One of the last things they do before they're intubated is beg me for the vaccine.  I hold their hand and tell them that I'm sorry, but it's too late."

Of all her patients being treated for COVID-19 related illnesses, only one person had been vaccinated.  That patient needed oxygen but is expected to fully recover.

She said that while she may have initially tried to feel that unvaccinated patients made their own choice, she feels bad for them when they are "face to face".  She also noted how misinformation about COVID and the vaccines results in people not always making the best decisions for themselves.

State officials in Alabama recently reported that:

• 94 percent of COVID hospital patients since April have not been fully vaccinated.
• 96 percent of Alabamians who have died of COVID since April were unvaccinated.
• More than 11,400 people from the state have died from COVID.

Source:
 This Newsweek Article 

On a more personal note, so far, 11 of my friends and relatives have died of covid in the last year.  None of them had received the vaccine.  Every one of them had an unfounded (e.g., "lame") excuse:

• "Christians don't get covid."
• "Covid is a political hoax."
• "I megadose on vitamin D so I won't get covid."
• "It's just like a bad flu."
• "People with my blood type don't get covid."
• "The vaccines are nothing but salt-water."
• "The vaccines cause autism."
• "The vaccines cause covid."
• "The vaccines contain microchips."
• "White people don't get covid."

Every one of them begged for the vaccine before they were intubated.  For some of them, those were the last words they ever spoke.  Now they are all dead.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 11:37 am

11? Wow. I don't think I know of 1. I'm sorry for your losses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 11:40 am

Thanks, Bea.

It has been a rough year for all of us.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 3:24 am

Sorry for your losses, Fnord.

Personally, the ones I feel the most sorry for are the ones who really can't take the vaccine due to real health reasons. I'm sure many of them would if they could, but they can't, so their hope is in being extra careful and in other people taking the vaccine so that some kind of herd immunity could be built. Most of my sympathy in this whole virus mess goes to them, plus to those heavily immune compromised who have to be really careful. I have sympathy for those too who've lost their jobs due to covid or are having a financially tight situation because of that, but things like that are fixable. If someone dies, they die. And even if they don't die, their health might still crash even more and it could do so permanently.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 4:39 am

My heart felt condolences for your losses.

It is tragic that so many believe the lies. I have clients and even guardians who still decline the vaccine. My FFD won’t take it and she works in a nursing home.

No one in Florida can require the vaccination due to Desantis’ edict. A mini-trump on wheels.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 8:06 am

I am sad that they are gone, and even more sad because the vaccine would have saved their lives if they had taken it before getting infected.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2021, 8:45 am

I'm not very good with sympathy. I have it but I don't express it well and I'm afraid to say anything.

But your post hit a nerve with me. I want to say something.

I sympathize with you because I immediately felt relief that I haven't had your experience with the personal and social consequences of Covid-19. I don't think I would handle it as well as you seem to. I don't have any family or social contacts that have had the virus. Certainly none that have been hospitalized or died.

I'm sorry for you loss.

Your story is a powerful one. Thank you for sharing it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 8:50 am

Thanks, Neil -- and everyone else, too.

Were it not for my wife, my church, and my job, I would not be very sociable, and would probably never have met those people.  And that is the downside to having family, friends, and pets -- sooner or later, you have to say 'goodbye'.

I just never thought it would be so many, and so soon.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 8:53 am

I send my heartfelt condolences to you on your tragic losses.

It’s tragic that so many people “believe the hype” when it comes to Vaccine Resistance.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 6:43 pm

Yep, pretty lame that politicians and talking heads on the "news," are allowed to lie to people about public health and then people believe them because they've been conditioned to via lack of education & constant Billionaire sponsored propaganda.

Sucks you've known 11 covid deaths. Only a 2-3 for me, and even then they were elderly relatives I never really knew. Lots of people have died, though - nearly 20 in the last couple years, just mostly not covid. It's getting easier to deal with death, though, so I guess there's that.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 10:47 pm

I work for a restaurant. The entire restaurant industry is facing a nationwide shortage of labor.

Why?

BECAUSE A BUNCH OF PEOPLE ARE DEAD.

Vaccine resistance is just ignorance.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 7:28 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
I work for a restaurant. The entire restaurant industry is facing a nationwide shortage of labor.

Why?

I thought it had to do with low wages. But I have noticed the shortage too.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 8:25 am

My old music teacher got covid and was put into the ICU over the weekend.  I hope he is not #12.

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2021, 1:59 pm

Yea, as soon as I was able to get the vaccine I got it.

I am so sorry you had so many people close to you die from this.

To me it makes zero sense not to get vaccinated. It’s for the good of everyone.

TriPM Score (Taken 05/22/2021):
103 out of 174 points (99th percentile)

ADHD & ASD diagnosis made in childhood.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 3:12 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Why?

I thought it had to do with low wages. But I have noticed the shortage too.

I'm sure it's a combination of multiple factors including low wages, many people from the industry sick or dead due to covid, fear of getting covid from customers etc seeing as restaurants have been hot spots for transmission, other industries gearing back up that pay more.. and people just had a lot of time off to re-assess their career decisions and I bet many of them are making different choices if they can make them.. choosing to work in pandemic proof industries instead of having high risk, low pay, low job security, no benefits etc etc.

Restaurant workers in Canada are paid significantly better than in the USA and have universal healthcare, plus the tipping culture is different so people can actually earn quite a good living in a bar or restaurant in Canada - not so much stateside.. so, if they have other options due to every industry hiring people right now, why would they go back to working for sub poverty level wages and benefits? :?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 9:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
My old music teacher got covid and was put into the ICU over the weekend.  I hope he is not #12.
Update: Over the weekend, he was released from the hospital, went home, went back to the emergency room the next day, went home again, and is now back in the ICU with his wife (who is a nurse), and his SIL & BIL are both in the hospital, as well -- and none of them were vaccinated!!

These are some of the smartest people I know, yet they were too stupid to get vaccinated!

Only NOW are they also asking for the vaccine.

At least the 1-year old daughter of the music teacher and his wife is still healthy, but for how long?