Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 7:17 am

I am so sorry to hear that you're going through this. I also advise you to firstly look for a job, or apply for disability benefits or any sort of economic aid that is available.

Having your own private place and being able to look after yourself would also be positive for your mental health.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 11:52 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I've been feeling more and more like s**t lately. Every time my mom gets mad at other people she takes it out on me, and if I can't meet her emotional needs (listening to her rant and cry about others she hates all the time, to the point I can't get even basic household and self care things done) she gets aggressive with me.

Ugh.... Meeting her emotional needs in such a way really shouldn't be your responsibility, in the first place (although it is reasonable for her to expect you to take on iother responsibilities, such as going job-hunting and doing your share of household chores).

Did she also expect you to support her emotionally when you were younger? If so, are you familiar with the concept of "emotional parentification"? (To any readers who haven't heard this term before: "parentification" means putting a child in the role of parent, and is generally considered unhealthy, at least when done to excess.)

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I missed a doctor's appointment to talk about my mental health because she psycho'd out on me and started getting physically aggressive with me the night before and the morning of it. I actually didn't cancel it though, and had left since I was legitimately scared she was going to try to beat the s**t out of me (she's gotten into fights with my dad and other siblings before), and decided to walk all the way there, but missed the appointment because it took too long to walk there by the time I left.

After that when I eventually came back home, I heard her telling people on the phone that I'm an abusive narcissist because I can't handle her doing this s**t to me, and her trying to get me into actual trouble with others (she said I yelled at her and was aggressive that entire time which is actually what she did to me, she was just trying to cover her own ass and trying to have me get into trouble so no one believes me if I tell anyone about it).

What kind of "people" was she talking to, as far as you could tell? Just friends, or people in any kind of professional role?

If friends, then she evidently has friends who can serve in the role of shoulder-to-cry-on. So she doesn't really need you for that purpose.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
She also thinks it's fine to compare me to my dad and his family whenever she's mad at me, and assert that her other three kids (my half siblings besides for my fully related, also autistic brother) act completely fine (despite the fact they're also called narcissists behind their backs and I have to listen to her s**t talk them all the time),

Ugh .... she really shouldn't be s**t-talking any of her children to each other.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
and that there's something genetically and neurologically wrong with me that makes me an "evil abuser".

I'm honestly suicidal (again, I know) because I'm tired of dealing with this s**t and I don't have anywhere to go, since I have no sane family members or any IRL friends. I was going to leave permanently when I left when she was getting physically aggressive with me, but the doctors office wasn't helpful at all when I did talk to them in person and I didn't know where to go or what to do. I'm genuinely worried she's going to severely harm me one day to put me in my place and no one seems to take me seriously.

Yikes!

Is there any local crisis hotline you can call? (Dunno how useful they would actually be; such hotlines probably vary greatly in how useful they are.)

Here in the U.S.A. at least, I suspect that perhaps a LGBTQ+ hotline might be more useful than a more general one. A few such hotlines are listed here, here, and here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 11:54 am

What sort of job are you looking for?

Having a job will probably help you all the way around.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:06 pm

AprilR wrote:
I am so sorry to hear that you're going through this. I also advise you to firstly look for a job, or apply for disability benefits or any sort of economic aid that is available.

Having your own private place and being able to look after yourself would also be positive for your mental health.

I agree that would be a lot better for me. I unfortunately don't have an ASD diagnosis or anything else that would qualify me for disability benefits, but I've been trying to look at what type of financial aid is available to me in general in addition to looking for a job.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:14 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I've been feeling more and more like s**t lately. Every time my mom gets mad at other people she takes it out on me, and if I can't meet her emotional needs (listening to her rant and cry about others she hates all the time, to the point I can't get even basic household and self care things done) she gets aggressive with me.

Ugh.... Meeting her emotional needs in such a way really shouldn't be your responsibility, in the first place (although it is reasonable for her to expect you to take on iother responsibilities, such as going job-hunting and doing your share of household chores).

Did she also expect you to support her emotionally when you were younger? If so, are you familiar with the concept of "emotional parentification"? (To any readers who haven't heard this term before: "parentification" means putting a child in the role of parent, and is generally considered unhealthy, at least when done to excess.)

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I missed a doctor's appointment to talk about my mental health because she psycho'd out on me and started getting physically aggressive with me the night before and the morning of it. I actually didn't cancel it though, and had left since I was legitimately scared she was going to try to beat the s**t out of me (she's gotten into fights with my dad and other siblings before), and decided to walk all the way there, but missed the appointment because it took too long to walk there by the time I left.

After that when I eventually came back home, I heard her telling people on the phone that I'm an abusive narcissist because I can't handle her doing this s**t to me, and her trying to get me into actual trouble with others (she said I yelled at her and was aggressive that entire time which is actually what she did to me, she was just trying to cover her own ass and trying to have me get into trouble so no one believes me if I tell anyone about it).

What kind of "people" was she talking to, as far as you could tell? Just friends, or people in any kind of professional role?

If friends, then she evidently has friends who can serve in the role of shoulder-to-cry-on. So she doesn't really need you for that purpose.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
She also thinks it's fine to compare me to my dad and his family whenever she's mad at me, and assert that her other three kids (my half siblings besides for my fully related, also autistic brother) act completely fine (despite the fact they're also called narcissists behind their backs and I have to listen to her s**t talk them all the time),

Ugh .... she really shouldn't be s**t-talking any of her children to each other.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
and that there's something genetically and neurologically wrong with me that makes me an "evil abuser".

I'm honestly suicidal (again, I know) because I'm tired of dealing with this s**t and I don't have anywhere to go, since I have no sane family members or any IRL friends. I was going to leave permanently when I left when she was getting physically aggressive with me, but the doctors office wasn't helpful at all when I did talk to them in person and I didn't know where to go or what to do. I'm genuinely worried she's going to severely harm me one day to put me in my place and no one seems to take me seriously.

Yikes!

Is there any local crisis hotline you can call? (Dunno how useful they would actually be; such hotlines probably vary greatly in how useful they are.)

Here in the U.S.A. at least, I suspect that perhaps a LGBTQ+ hotline might be more useful than a more general one. A few such hotlines are listed here, here, and here.

My parents have always had me support them emotionally and have always tried to make me a mediator in their personal issues. I also do most of the house work for my mom. She has health issues, but she can do some things and gets angry if I don't do them for her. I've heard of parentification before and I think that's part of what's going on, especially since my mom has always commented on how much of an "adult" I am (AKA I had to mature and take on a lot of responsibility relatively young) and "how much like her parents I am".

She also tells friends, therapists, counselors, etc. this stuff when she's angry at me. Anyone she talks to then. She could vent to her friends or my much older (30-40 year old) siblings, but she always says she doesn't want to involve them and stress them out.

And thank you for the lists of hotlines, I really appreciate it and I'll try to use one of those.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What sort of job are you looking for?

Having a job will probably help you all the way around.

Honestly any type of job. The only thing that was really a barrier was the fact my mom always tries to prevent me from going anywhere by myself. After I left the first time she's been really angry because now she can't prevent me from doing that, since I showed that I can go places by myself just fine and I'm not letting her prevent me from doing so now. She even got very angry when she kicked me out because she tried to turn it on me and say I was "throwing a tantrum and leaving again" when I got my stuff and left by myself, even though she cornered me in my room before that and told me to "pack my s**t and get out"?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 1:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Pepe wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
She never really apologizes, and just tells me what I did wrong and why it's okay for her to act like this towards me. When I eventually move and live on my own I don't think I want any contact with her. :|

I hope you are covertly recording how she treats you if things ever go to court.

I'm gonna be honest, I've been doing that. I don't know if it's usable in court here since she isn't aware, but I've been recording it since the day I left last time. She lies about me so much to people that if I get in trouble over it I want to have proof that I'm not doing what she's saying I am.

Considering it's evidence of abuse you probably have more leeway than if it was recorded for some other purpose.

I think it'd certainly at least be helpful to avoid getting in trouble if she tried to accuse me of anything. She's tried to get people in trouble with the police when she's angry at them before. I'm honestly surprised she hasn't tried to get me arrested or something yet, but I think I take care of her enough and am non-confrontational enough that she doesn't want to not have me around.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 7:41 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

HeroOfHyrule wrote:

HeroOfHyrule wrote:

HeroOfHyrule wrote:

Yikes!

My parents have always had me support them emotionally and have always tried to make me a mediator in their personal issues. I also do most of the house work for my mom. She has health issues, but she can do some things and gets angry if I don't do them for her. I've heard of parentification before and I think that's part of what's going on, especially since my mom has always commented on how much of an "adult" I am (AKA I had to mature and take on a lot of responsibility relatively young) and "how much like her parents I am".

She also tells friends, therapists, counselors, etc. this stuff when she's angry at me. Anyone she talks to then. She could vent to her friends or my much older (30-40 year old) siblings, but she always says she doesn't want to involve them and stress them out.

And thank you for the lists of hotlines, I really appreciate it and I'll try to use one of those.

Some people don't desreve to be parents, sorry.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 9:42 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I think it'd certainly at least be helpful to avoid getting in trouble if she tried to accuse me of anything.

Agreed, and a worthwhile precaution.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
She's tried to get people in trouble with the police when she's angry at them before.

If these people were NOT actually committing crimes, hopefully the police have learned to be skeptical of accusations coming from her?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 3:58 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I think it'd certainly at least be helpful to avoid getting in trouble if she tried to accuse me of anything.

Agreed, and a worthwhile precaution.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
She's tried to get people in trouble with the police when she's angry at them before.

If these people were NOT actually committing crimes, hopefully the police have learned to be skeptical of accusations coming from her?

They are definitely skeptical. I don't think they'd listen to her, but whenever they've come here they don't really listen to me either, so I get anxiety over thinking about her calling the police on me.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 4:01 pm

Pepe wrote:

Don't worry, I don't really think my parents should have been parents either. All of the issues me and my siblings have are kind of evidence of that. lol

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 1:13 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Don't worry, I don't really think my parents should have been parents either. All of the issues me and my siblings have are kind of evidence of that. lol

What is the saying?
You need a license to drive a car but you don't need one to raise kids? :scratch:
Something like that. :wink: