The UK feels like it's becoming a third world country

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 10:05 am

This doesn't help my anxiety levels. The NHS has gone to pot and are leaving seriously ill people to rot (like those suffering with deadly diseases that aren't covid). There's labour shortage which means many supermarkets are going to be empty (unless Boris Johnson does something about it). The police force is crap here - they're so dense that they arrest the wrong people and let the criminals loose. People who can't afford to pay their rent (due to losing their job during the pandemic) are being evicted from their homes even after the government promised they wouldn't be if the pandemic affected their jobs (which is why I don't agree with lockdowns, especially now that we have vaccines).

I'm so scared where this country is heading. It's too cold here to become a third world country. It's always been a rich country, and there's no other country in the world who will let anyone in with open arms and give them a house, a job, benefits and free health care, other than the UK. So us British can't just up and migrate to another country unless we are rich and have a lot of money. So we're stuck.

I don't think I can cope with selfish panic-buyers raiding the supermarkets again (both online and offline) and having no food. Will the government step in to stop this happening, do you think?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 10:21 am

Obviously, the UK and other countries haven't handled the Pandemic too well.

Too many people have lost jobs and livelihoods as a result of COVID.

Do I believe the UK is becoming a "Third World country." No. I don't.

But it certainly has to do better for its citizens. Just like the US.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 1:36 pm

Well ending up homeless in the uk when it gets to be -1 degrees. which freezes water, can’t be much fun. In Canada it gets to be -28 degrees where I live anyway, which is quite warm in comparison to most other places in Canada. (I’m sorry, I don’t know my degrees, Celsius, etc very well and really need to study that more.) Sorry for being dumb as a fence post joe, but what I’m trying to say is, I think it may get colder in Canada then the Uk. By a lot. And if we end up homeless and can’t get in right away when it gets to be like... 40 below... we die pretty quick. So I’m terrified of becoming homeless here because I’m stupid and have poor street smarts and... I worry about this too. A lot of people have lost their jobs in my country during covid. There have been protests and a lot of pissed off Canadians as well. I didn’t care all that much about 2020. But we’re going on the second year now. And I’m tired of having to wear a damn mask, that unless I think is a medical mask, they don’t do much to protect people from germs if it’s a non medical one.. so I mean I’m tired of sitting in a restaurant with it off. But then I have to put it back on just to use the bathroom or leave the place. I’ve talked to people with breathing problems that are hooked up to oxygen machines that have said, I tried to go into such and such a place, and wasn’t allowed to go in without a mask. No mask no service.

In Canada during covid, at least in my province, but this may be true in all Canada I don’t know. The government will not fund people to get out of the cold (very cold streets), during covid. I was in a living situation fearing for my safety and my sanity and even thought I might die there. I’m on disability but my workers were allowed to do nothing to get me out of there. The mental health system tried to talk me into staying there, like forever. Which really scares me, actually. Yes. There’s lots of people that are pissed of these days. But I don’t know some of those European countries where the government actually seems to almost like... you know HELP people, seem nice. I’d like to move to a Germanic country. Hopefully I’m not romanticizing things. Hopefully there is some sort of escape if you’ve got the money that is. :(

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 1:59 pm

Canadians came here to Wales during WW2 and they were frozen to the bone. They said they were used to -40 in Canada, but over here they felt frozen. The reason why is humidity. The UK has a dampness to the cold and it is the dampness that freezes. We do get it colder. Most years here where I live we get the odd -10. (0 degrees is where things start to freeze). Several years ago we had a -17.5 which was cold. I wore two pairs of trousers for ages until things warmed up.

To give an idea of what dampness can do, it is when the wind comes where the wind chill factor is massively magnified is why it gets cold. A dry cold is less of an issue, though no way do I fancy a -40!

To not go lower then a -1 is unusual for the UK because even in the warmest areas it can freeze. Britain is coldest at the very top and warmest at the bottom, but the bottom still gets cold enough on occasions. Britain is one place that due to our climate, one needs at least some sort of shelter to survive for any length of time. From mid to late spring through summer and early autumn outdoor tenting is fun. In winter even in a tent, unless it is a good tent with a good sleeping bag it is a bit too cold. Maybe ok for the youngsters who seem to stay warm easier. :D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 2:07 pm

It would be bad to be homeless if it was 100 and humid.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 3:38 pm

This isn't about which country has it the coldest, as any country that has winters with temperatures that fall anywhere below freezing point are unpleasant to be living on the streets in. What I'm worrying about the most at the moment is the lack of lorry drivers and lack of deliveries to petrol (gas) stations and supermarkets, and all these f*****g selfish and thick panic buyers that take the media too literally and go out and raid all the fuel stations and supermarkets because they think they're going to starve and die. I'm only worrying about it because of the panic buyers, I wouldn't go panic buying myself because I know that there are other people in this country besides me. I wouldn't really be worrying about it too much if it wasn't for the panic buyers. I hate some people.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 12:47 am

Ask yourself this --
Is UK prone to a form of (monetary) inflation?

Is UK going to deal with brain drain (competent workers leaving) at any time?

And is UK involved in some complicated deal that would compromise their economy in long term?

There are more questions. But I won't get to that for now.

I know what it is like to be in a so-called 'third world country' -- though the term is outdated.

A country becoming poor isn't as simple as mass panic buying, losing jobs and in turn unable to pay bills for living spaces.

Heck, it's not even as simple as losing a lot of lives due to lack of hospital spaces and available medical personnels.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 10:26 am

Joe90 wrote:
This isn't about which country has it the coldest, as any country that has winters with temperatures that fall anywhere below freezing point are unpleasant to be living on the streets in. What I'm worrying about the most at the moment is the lack of lorry drivers and lack of deliveries to petrol (gas) stations and supermarkets, and all these f*****g selfish and thick panic buyers that take the media too literally and go out and raid all the fuel stations and supermarkets because they think they're going to starve and die. I'm only worrying about it because of the panic buyers, I wouldn't go panic buying myself because I know that there are other people in this country besides me. I wouldn't really be worrying about it too much if it wasn't for the panic buyers. I hate some people.

There's still plenty of food for everyone Jo and the fuel situation will be sorted out in no time.

Take a deep breath. Its all going to be fine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 5:58 pm

I know, I just get very anxious with things like this because of what happened last year during the beginning of the pandemic when people were going mad with toilet rolls and stuff.

I just get angry too because of how selfish some people are. They seem oblivious to the fact that there are other people in this country besides them, and that if nobody panic buys then there will always be enough to go around, even if we might have to be a little more careful for a few days.

The mentality of some people just makes me despair.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 7:07 pm

it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness. It may help to look in your local area for people you trust and talk to them about actions that can be taken to make things better - even just for one person. If you and people like you can each light one candle you can help push away the darkness.

For all of us there are things we CAN do and things we CANNOT do. One thing I am trying to work on for me is to remember to try to accept the things I CANNOT to and work on doing the things I CAN.

Think Globally . . .
. . . Act Locally

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:03 am

Joe90 wrote:
I know, I just get very anxious with things like this because of what happened last year during the beginning of the pandemic when people were going mad with toilet rolls and stuff.

I just get angry too because of how selfish some people are. They seem oblivious to the fact that there are other people in this country besides them, and that if nobody panic buys then there will always be enough to go around, even if we might have to be a little more careful for a few days.

The mentality of some people just makes me despair.

I went to my local Aldi this morning. I usually go early on a Sunday because its really quiet. There's just usually me an a few old men buying a small amount of food.

Anyway this morning is was mad busy. People's trolleys were spilling over and the queues were backing all the way down the aisles.

I get what you're saying Jo. People went crazy with the pandemic and no one could have predicted that so you couldn't really blame them but this time round it is due to a shortage of drivers for both food and fuel. This is an issue that should have been predicted a long time ago by the government as they should have known that many of our drivers are from the EU and therefore they really ought to have been well ahead of any situation like this arising.

I know what you are saying about selfish people and panic buying is a pain in the arse but this one is definitely on the government's shoulders. The public are just reacting to a situation made by a substandard government.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 12:31 pm

I must apologize Joe I was in a bad mood that day and shouldn’t have went on ranting like that. I don’t care much about who’s country gets colder either. Lol I’m just tired of dealing with long winters. Anyway

Yes it was scary the panic buying. I remember that. I was terrified the first lockdown. They suck!!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 7:10 pm

Weird thing - when COVID-19 hit our area last March - all the supermarkets in my area ran out of paper towels and TP and some other things. I thought carefully about it and said to myself - COVID-19 is messing up supply chains. Walmart is supposed to have the best and most flexible supply chain system in the business - the are well known in all of retail as "getting it right" - they are the ones everyone else tries to be like - and many fail.

So I went to Walmart. Sure enough they had paper towels and TP. Not a lot but every shelf had some of what it was supposed to have. They had little signs saying more or less "one to a customer" very politely worded. I got an one 12 pack of TP and came home the hero.

Do they have Walmart in the UK? I asked the internet - here is what I found "ASDA is Britain’s second largest supermarket, and while it started as its own brand back in 1965, the International Walmart Corporation acquired it in 1999."

https://girlgonelondon.com/is-there-a-w ... -the-uk-2/

So - if stores are running out of things - check out ASDA in the UK.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 5:52 am

How about Sainsbury?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 6:10 am

I got my online sainsburys shopping delivered on Saturday and it was fine.

Went into Asda on Monday and the shop was well stocked.

Went to Aldi on Sunday and that shop was well stocked as well.

They probably still have plenty of stock in the warehouse if they are one of the larger stores.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 1:10 pm

UK won't become a "3rd world country," aka "developing nation." They're already a very developed advanced society.

Many other countries off those benefits to their citizens, immigrants, and refugees.