Loss of a very loyal friend

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 6:51 pm

On January 7, a friend of nearly 20 years cut contact with me, because she was angry that I wouldn't watch and like an Alex Jones video she posted on her FB page--the day after the Capitol storming.

I don't believe any of Alex's crap at all. My friend used to be a very laid back person, until (supposedly) she had a bad experience with a black person when she lived in Houston. Then she began espousing hard-right views almost overnight. She eventually moved out of state, but we remained friends until 1/7. She was one of the most loyal, understanding friends I ever had, and despite never having been a couple, we were physically intimate a couple of times. That only added to the emotional attachment.

My overall policy regarding friends/family and politics is that I will stay friends no matter their views, unless they are too extreme. I am a centrist.

She has removed herself from all social media, and there is no way to talk to her. And it's nearly impossible to make new friends, because nobody in Houston has the same interests. In many instances recently, you may have seen me talk on here about possibly moving to Seattle, but not being able to afford it. Finding people with the same interests is about 90% of my reason for moving there.

I am not sure what to do. 2021 has been a year of loss for me. I lost my friend, one of my favorite theaters closed, and my grandmother passed away in April.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 6:55 pm

:( I'm really sorry that happened, and you've faced such a loss. I have no idea who Alex Jones is, or what the video would be about. Did you try talking to her about her attachment to the video even without watching it, or is it a topic that you just can't tolerate? It's very sad when friends allow politics to divide them. I hope she will realise her loss, and apologise for shutting you out. :(

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 7:01 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
:( I'm really sorry that happened, and you've faced such a loss. I have no idea who Alex Jones is, or what the video would be about. Did you try talking to her about her attachment to the video even without watching it, or is it a topic that you just can't tolerate? It's very sad when friends allow politics to divide them. I hope she will realise her loss, and apologise for shutting you out. :(

Alex Jones is a far-right conspiracy theorist. He was sued in response to a theory about the Sandy Hook shooting. I just can't tolerate the guy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 8:23 pm

She's very intolerant for terminating a friendship just because you didn't "like" some video. This is getting ridiculous!

I've been attacked by black people-----but I've been attacked by white people, too.

I'm prejudiced against criminals, no matter what race they are.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 8:38 pm

That saddens me, Tex. I can identify with what you are going through. Some people whom I thought were my friends left our church because our pastoral staff refused to pray openly during services that Mr. Trump would be reinstated. About a dozen people - all related to each other - left because they believe that we are defying "Higher Authority".

It really sucks.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 5:37 am

(((Tim_Tex)))

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 9:31 am

It's sad to lose a long-time friend, and over such a silly reason. I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother. Hang in there, things will get better in time.

I think maybe we should nudge Texas into seceding from the Union. Goodbye, farewell, don't let the screen door hit ya where the good lord split ya. Not you! Just the state and its culture.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 4:39 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
And it's nearly impossible to make new friends, because nobody in Houston has the same interests. In many instances recently, you may have seen me talk on here about possibly moving to Seattle, but not being able to afford it. Finding people with the same interests is about 90% of my reason for moving there.

Have you considered moving to Austin? Might be easier and cheaper than moving to Seattle, and is known to be more liberal-leaning (relatively speaking, at least) than the rest of Texas.

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost a friend to Alex Jones.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 1:52 pm

TimTex,

Ouch! It sounds like she didn't want to respect your opinion or your choices. My late aunt was the same way with her her liberal friends and she eventually pushed them away because she was right and they were wrong which I was very upset with her.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2021, 8:41 pm

That sucks.

At least with the internet you can find like minded people with similar interests and make online friends no matter where in the world people live. Facebook groups, forums, etc. Never know, you might find that several of those people live in close proximity to each other - somewhere in the USA that isn't near Seattle - and Then you'll know where to vacation next & maybe relocated to. 8)

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 10:14 am

My condolences on your loss of a good friendship. I know it hurts right now, but the pain will get less with time. You just need to meet more people like yourself to find another friend. Remember that they are people with faults so you have to expect to be disappointed in them occasionally.

You are not alone in losing good friends. I lost a really close friend in grad school because his whole personality flipped when he started dating a foreign lady. He met her on an online hookup site. They were both married to other people at the time, but that did not stop either of them. She started mentally manipulating him from the start. He began expressing political views that were not his own and pushed me out of the friendship, as I would not simply agree with her. I now look back at it as a blessing in disguise as other friends have told be that they are constantly fighting each other. They both deserve the misery together instead of the happiness that they had alone.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 1:47 am

The prospect of losing friends was a major reason for me *not* voting for Trump.

(I voted for a third-party candidate in 2016, and Biden in 2020)

I used to have quite a few friends with the same interests, but they have all left social media, and disappeared off the face of the earth.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 10:01 pm

Update:

I sent her a text, saying hi, and wanting to see if everything was ok with her.

Her reply: “What are you in need of?”

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 12:39 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Update:

My response would be:

Apparently a new friend considering you're accusing me of contacting you to use you for something.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 2:24 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Update:

AW I'm sorry man. That's rough.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 10:30 am

This is all my fault. Why oh why did I not watch that damn Alex Jones video.