Had a scary encounter tonight

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 12:01 pm

So I was at a gas station, just chilling in my car. A guy just walked up to the drivers side and was like “what’s up? Can I come in?” He starts walking towards the passnger side and I get out of the car and tell him “no”. He walked away then walked back towards me and said something to effect of “anything happening?” Or whatever and I said “no. I’m just chilling here” and he said sorry and walked away. I got out of there right after that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 12:36 pm

I'm glad you got out of there!

The guy seemed like he was unstable. He might have thought you were someone else--in his drunk/high state. Who knows?

You did the right thing being skeptical.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 1:06 pm

It could be innocent. Best to be cautious though but not to jump to conclusions either.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 1:11 pm

He had to beat it out of there----no matter the other guy's intentions.

I know these sorts of gas stations well out in the middle of corn fields....

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 2:19 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
So I was at a gas station, just chilling in my car. A guy just walked up to the drivers side and was like “what’s up? Can I come in?” He starts walking towards the passnger side and I get out of the car and tell him “no”. He walked away then walked back towards me and said something to effect of “anything happening?” Or whatever and I said “no. I’m just chilling here” and he said sorry and walked away. I got out of there right after that.

Yeah I'd be a bit cautious as well. You did right.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 3:52 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:

You did the right thing because you don't know this person from Adam and second, he was trespassing. However, he could have also been flirting with you as well. Regardless, his behavior was not appropriate.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 4:07 pm

A week or two ago I walked by this guy , kinda incoherent, face tattoo, mumbling to himslef, mumbling to me, rolling ciggerates, and then again, late at night guy walking in the middle of the road, kinda out of it, mumbling, rolling ciggerates, we got pubs on every street corner in england, all kinda substance abuse problems. you can get weird encounters,situations, but nothing i wold ever consider scary has happened to me.

Plus if i think i might be in a tricky situation, a dangerous place, i will just carry my swiss army knife. It's actually legal, to carry, ithink. and it gives me peace of mind if ever some crazy son of b1tch came up to me i wouldn't be completely defenseless.. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 6:23 pm

theprisoner wrote:
A week or two ago I walked by this guy , kinda incoherent, face tattoo, mumbling to himslef, mumbling to me, rolling ciggerates, and then again, late at night guy walking in the middle of the road, kinda out of it, mumbling, rolling ciggerates, we got pubs on every street corner in england, all kinda substance abuse problems. you can get weird encounters,situations, but nothing i wold ever consider scary has happened to me.

Plus if i think i might be in a tricky situation, a dangerous place, i will just carry my swiss army knife. It's actually legal, to carry, ithink. and it gives me peace of mind if ever some crazy son of b1tch came up to me i wouldn't be completely defenseless.. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

I don't think I'd wanna be trying to open a Swiss Army Knife after SHTF.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 6:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I've never had to, but, er... it only takes a couple of seconds. If you're ready, aware, and see something is about to pop off. In the UK i think police expect a person to be abducted /raped/ killed/ assaulted/ knocked out while you wait for them to arrive. At least in America you have some rights and you're allowed to defend yourself. It's illegal to carry pepper spray here.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 8:51 pm

theprisoner wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I've never had to, but, er... it only takes a couple of seconds. If you're ready, aware, and see something is about to pop off. In the UK i think police expect a person to be abducted /raped/ killed/ assaulted/ knocked out while you wait for them to arrive. At least in America you have some rights and you're allowed to defend yourself. It's illegal to carry pepper spray here.

I'm not in America though. If I'm somewhere sketchy I like to have a >500ml drink in a glass or metal container, I've only ever had to rely on it once but the advantage is that instead of them having a moment to react to you producing a weapon that you have to pause to open your bottle has already slammed into their face and you have the initiative, which opening the knife forces you to surrender.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 9:00 pm

That guy you encountered is exactly how this guy I know acts. He got permanently messed up from drugs. I avoid him.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 2:20 am

I just don't trust anyone who stops me in the street whether it's day or night.

I remember a guy stopped me one time to ask me the time (I think) and I ran like hell.

It's probably my ptsd that makes me do that but I have been bundled in a car and drugged before so you can't blame me.

I wouldn't carry a knife for the simple reason that it is far too easy to use one (I have personal experience of this too).

I used to carry a retractable baton (like the police use) but they are now illegal in the UK as well.

I've thought of a baseball bat for protection and one would be handy to keep in the passenger seat of a car I suppose but I'm a cyclist.

Walking sticks are handy, legal and socially acceptable.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 4:43 am

I read a very interesting book once about instincts. One of the things that stayed with me was the finding that the vast majority of people who have been attacked or found themselves in unpleasant situations with people report that they knew on some level when the person approached them that something wasn't right. They overrode their instincts out of a desire to help or not judge or they told themselves they were just being silly.

Always trust your gut. You did right.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 10:06 am

My daughter was driving late at night in Cali down a dark street and saw a man standing in the middle of the road.It made her feel weird so she did a u- turn and went the other way.Clever girl.
If you can’t carry pepper spray in your vehicle because it’s illegal where you are, carry wasp spray.Works also in a large purse.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 10:37 am

His behavior was highly suspicious and disturbing as hell. He may have been harmless, but you don't want to take a chance. Glad you got put of there.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 12:40 am

theprisoner wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I put my large car key between my knuckles, in situations like that.
But I have been gang-stalked for decades and I'm good at anticipating potential problems, so I have never had to bare my "fang". 8)

I have also heard people using a pen as a defensive weapon.
The pen may not be mightier than the sword, in this case, but is is better than nothin'. :mrgreen: