Had a scary encounter tonight

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 12:43 am

babybird wrote:
I just don't trust anyone who stops me in the street whether it's day or night.

I remember a guy stopped me one time to ask me the time (I think) and I ran like hell.

It's probably my ptsd that makes me do that but I have been bundled in a car and drugged before so you can't blame me.

I wouldn't carry a knife for the simple reason that it is far too easy to use one (I have personal experience of this too).

I used to carry a retractable baton (like the police use) but they are now illegal in the UK as well.

I've thought of a baseball bat for protection and one would be handy to keep in the passenger seat of a car I suppose but I'm a cyclist.

Walking sticks are handy, legal and socially acceptable.

I have considered a walking stick, not that I need one. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 12:49 am

funeralxempire wrote:
theprisoner wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I don't think I'd wanna be trying to open a Swiss Army Knife after SHTF.

I've never had to, but, er... it only takes a couple of seconds. If you're ready, aware, and see something is about to pop off. In the UK i think police expect a person to be abducted /raped/ killed/ assaulted/ knocked out while you wait for them to arrive. At least in America you have some rights and you're allowed to defend yourself. It's illegal to carry pepper spray here.

I'm not in America though. If I'm somewhere sketchy I like to have a >500ml drink in a glass or metal container, I've only ever had to rely on it once but the advantage is that instead of them having a moment to react to you producing a weapon that you have to pause to open your bottle has already slammed into their face and you have the initiative, which opening the knife forces you to surrender.

You missed the point where he said he anticipates possible problems, thus giving him time to prepare.
After decades of gang-stalking, I am a black belt master in anticipating potential problems.
As a default, if I see * anyone* coming in my direction, I do a U-turn or cross the street. 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 1:09 am

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
theprisoner wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I've never had to, but, er... it only takes a couple of seconds. If you're ready, aware, and see something is about to pop off. In the UK i think police expect a person to be abducted /raped/ killed/ assaulted/ knocked out while you wait for them to arrive. At least in America you have some rights and you're allowed to defend yourself. It's illegal to carry pepper spray here.

I'm not in America though. If I'm somewhere sketchy I like to have a >500ml drink in a glass or metal container, I've only ever had to rely on it once but the advantage is that instead of them having a moment to react to you producing a weapon that you have to pause to open your bottle has already slammed into their face and you have the initiative, which opening the knife forces you to surrender.

You missed the point where he said he anticipates possible problems, thus giving him time to prepare.
After decades of gang-stalking, I am a black belt master in anticipating potential problems.
As a default, if I see * anyone* coming in my direction, I do a U-turn or cross the street. 8)

In my experience a problem one anticipates isn't always avoidable. The sketchy dude in the parking lot of the train station might be between you and the path home. I'm not taking some longer, equally sketchy detour through Mimico or Rexdale over potentially getting mugged because that still leaves the potential to get mugged while taking the detour. I was in my early 20s and jacked on stimulants, the last thing I was gonna do was avoid trouble. :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 5:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
theprisoner wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

In my experience a problem one anticipates isn't always avoidable. The sketchy dude in the parking lot of the train station might be between you and the path home. I'm not taking some longer, equally sketchy detour through Mimico or Rexdale over potentially getting mugged because that still leaves the potential to get mugged while taking the detour. I was in my early 20s and jacked on stimulants, the last thing I was gonna do was avoid trouble. :mrgreen:

Well, obviously you aren't a "black belt", grasshopper.
White? :scratch: :mrgreen:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 5:46 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
theprisoner wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Well, obviously you aren't a "black belt", grasshopper.
White? :scratch: :mrgreen:

I don't think I had any belt in avoiding trouble; I was angry and self-destructive, locating trouble often served to help me find a volunteer for venting those feelings.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 5:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

In my experience a problem one anticipates isn't always avoidable. The sketchy dude in the parking lot of the train station might be between you and the path home.

The key is not to act scared. or show fear. i've walked past people in alleyways at night to get home. most people are not gonna mess with you anyway. This is from a male perspective. it might be different with women, Im probably less concerned about my safety, being alone in darkness doesn't scare me in slightest. I judge a situation the best i can. Yeah if somebody potentially dangerous, there will be a load of signs.

Yeah Pepe, keys between the knuckles is a good last resort at defending yourself, if you find yourself in trouble. or just if you're feeling paranoid.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 5:55 pm

stranger danger applies at whatever age.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 6:07 pm

dangerous people are likely to be in certain places more than others. I judge most people to be fairly reasonable here in UK. But if i get suspicious of somebody, i will try to position where i'm not caught off guard. whether thats fight or flight. i call it how i see it. luckily the last fight i got into was in high school. (maybe thats why im not scared) i'm not a violent person, and i dont wanna see how well i can hold up in a fight now. but i'm not afraid to protect myself. luckily if somebody approaches you intoxicated, acting strange, you could probably outfight and outrun them anyway.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 6:24 pm

theprisoner wrote:
The key is not to act scared. or show fear. i've walked past people in alleyways at night to get home. most people are not gonna mess with you anyway. This is from a male perspective. it might be different with women, Im probably less concerned about my safety, being alone in darkness doesn't scare me in slightest. I judge a situation the best i can. Yeah if somebody potentially dangerous, there will be a load of signs.

Definitely. If one is walking like they're looking for a confrontation that tends to cause people looking for an easy mark to give them a wider berth. Of course, if two people looking for a confrontation encounter each other there's a good chance they'll both get what they were looking for.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Oct 2021, 9:10 am

He sounded slick and was trying an angle, good call for getting the heck out of there.