Everybody at work expecting to get fired.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 12:21 am

I'm being told by others in my department that I'm the only one who's vaccinated and they expect to get fired soon. The company wants every employee to submit vaccination status. I don't know what's going to happen to me if being vaccinated becomes mandatory and I'm the only one who's vaccinated. It's round the clock shifts. It's not like I can fill in for everyone 24/7.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 12:34 am

And how does that make you feel?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 12:46 am

babybird wrote:
And how does that make you feel?

Uneasy because I don't know what's going to happen with no crew except me. Apparently none of them plan to budge on not being vaccinated.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 12:54 am

Yeah I'd feel uneasy as well.

What kind of work is it?

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 3:39 pm

wont they hire new people?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 8:09 pm

Caz72 wrote:

If I were the manager/owner that's what I'd be doing.

Also, sounds like it may be a blessing for the OP to have entirely new people surrounding him at work.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 8:12 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Caz72 wrote:
If I were the manager/owner that's what I'd be doing.  Also, sounds like it may be a blessing for the OP to have entirely new people surrounding him at work.
Yes, especially since the OP would have seniority over all of the newly-hired people when it comes to choosing the Shop Leader (or whatever they call the top hourly person).

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 8:45 pm

The joke is I'll be the new manager (which I'm qualified for but have no interest in). I was under the impression we are in one of those periods when there's help wanted signs in every window. I remember that back around 08 when I was a manager and was working up to 70 hrs a week to cover shifts that couldn't be filled.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 12:03 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The joke is I'll be the new manager (which I'm qualified for but have no interest in). I was under the impression we are in one of those periods when there's help wanted signs in every window. I remember that back around 08 when I was a manager and was working up to 70 hrs a week to cover shifts that couldn't be filled.

If they're bumping up your title and job responsibilities, do inquire as to how your pay is going to change to reflect that. It should definitely come with a raise. If it doesn't, then perhaps you should either decline the promotion Or seek employment elsewhere - it happens to be an employees' market right now.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 1:16 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
... it happens to be an employees' market right now.
For those who have the qualifications for the position, definitely.

As for the rest ... maybe not so much.

Last edited by Fnord on 26 Oct 2021, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 1:23 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:

I get that. I wouldn't want to be a manager either. Too much responsibility for about 10p more an hour. It's not worth it for me. I'd rather start my shift and go home and not have to worry about anything else.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 2:09 pm

Delegate ... delegate ... delegate ...

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 1:56 am

babybird wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I get that. I wouldn't want to be a manager either. Too much responsibility for about 10p more an hour. It's not worth it for me. I'd rather start my shift and go home and not have to worry about anything else.

I've been with the company 22 years. I was a manager for 8 of those years. Never again. Just not interested. I'm getting close to retirement age and only working 4 days a week now as it is. No desire to bump it up a notch.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 3:18 pm

^I get that. Even with a business school education specifically in management for most of my working life I’ve avoided managerial roles like the plague. Lol f-off; more stress longer hours lower pay? Naaaah! Especially when my executive functions barely allowed for me to manage myself. (Which I still do to varying degrees of success lol.)

But now I’m in a management position - but at least I’m blessed that we’re managing growth opportunities, systems, process improvements etc vs people.. because my friend’s employees are sort of free range employees. They’re hired to wear multiple hats and accomplish a bunch of tasks and essentially manage themselves, their workload, and special projects so that we can focus our time and energy on higher level bigger fish to fry and not worry about the daily widget processing. In exchange for their self sufficient work, I don’t tell them what to do or when to do it And I wash their dishes for them all nightly lol - it’s a good balance so we can truly focus on higher level things - legal stuff, new market opportunities, partnerships, issues with the building repairs, renovations, tenants etc etc.

TLDR; Hire the RIGHT people to build your team with and then let them do their jobs = very little need to expend time and energy managing them so you can manage much cooler and more enjoyable things instead. Just sayin’.