Worried about my boyfriend getting covid

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 12:21 am

My boyfriend has been doubly vaccinated and is having his booster at the end of this week, but he is vulnerable (has diabetes and COPD), and I keep hearing of lots of covid-related hospitalisations and deaths. I heard the vaccines aren't 100% effective, and he had the Astra Zenika one, which I heard is less effective than the Pfizer one.

So despite having all the vaccinations I still feel my boyfriend might not be fully protected. Are most of the hospital cases people who aren't vaccinated? Is the media just trying to scare people as usual? Are the vaccines really working?

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 12:24 am

From all that I've heard it's mostly the unvaccinated filling up hospitals. Have you heard of anyone who was fully vaxxed die of COVID?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:17 am

The vast, vast majority of people who are hospitalized are UN-vaccinated.....

I'm glad your boyfriend is doing the right thing.

The vaccines are working well as far as preventing hospitalizations and death are concerned. I wish they worked better at preventing COVID altogether. But being vaccinated is MUCH preferable, and MUCH safer, than remaining UN-vaccinated.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 9:54 am

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 04782.html

This says that the Pfizer is more effective than the AZ vaccine but the AZ does give longer lasting protection against the Delta variant.

They reckon that people who are vaccinated are less likely to end up in hospital if they get covid.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 3:35 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
From all that I've heard it's mostly the unvaccinated filling up hospitals. Have you heard of anyone who was fully vaxxed die of COVID?

No, but a couple of members here have experienced a friend or loved one die from covid who were doubly vaccinated.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 4:14 pm

I send them my condolences

It's not fair that they did what was right, and still paid the ultimate price.

My mother is immunocompromised, and she has cancer. Very little ill effects from the vaccine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 11:30 am

I still get worried though. At work a colleague has a family member in the same household who's tested positive for covid, but because he's been fully vaccinated, the rules say that he can still come to work unless he shows symptoms. It seems like the health organisation thinks that just because you're vaccinated it means you can't catch covid or pass it on. But you can. I think the rules should be that if someone in your household has tested positive then everyone in the same household should get tested straight away, and if they're negative then obviously come to work. I mean, no disrespect to my colleague, but he could have covid for all I know and could be carrying it and passing it on to all of us. Then I could pass it on to my boyfriend and he could get severely ill. It frightens me. I don't know how rare it is to die from covid after being fully vaccinated, or if vulnerable people are still at more risk of dying despite being fully vaccinated.

I'm not usually this paranoid about covid but being so my mum is seriously ill fighting cancer, I don't want my boyfriend to become seriously ill too. :cry:

Last bumped by Joe90 on 02 Nov 2021, 11:30 am.