I wish I were neurotypical

Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 8:21 pm

I'm just not used to other people guessing I have ASD. All I did was tell her things that make me anxious (death, covid, cancer, WW3, losing loved ones, losing jobs, etc), and then she was all like "have you ever thought you might be autistic?" But I also told her ADHD-related things like being disorganised, disliking repetitiveness, being impulsive, etc, but she never said "have you ever thought you might have ADHD". She wasn't aware that I was diagnosed with ASD or ADHD until I told her after. Her view of autism meant "all anxiety" and her view of ADHD meant "impulsivity in adults, hyperactivity in children".

So after going through all the process of getting diagnosed with ADHD, it basically means nothing if it only means two things. So she has now made me feel worse about myself and I feel like quitting her sessions.

Maybe if I was neurotypical I wouldn't be stupid enough to worry about everything. :roll:
Now I better start pretending not to be anxious any more if it screams out autism so clearly. I thought anxiety disorders were a co-morbid to ASD or ADHD. I mean, sometimes I feel I get more anxious than a lot of members here because of the way I explode with panic in the "autistics will be thrown into nazi camps" and "WW3 is upon us" threads, while other members are just discussing it lightly.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:04 pm

Guess or no guess, you can always communicate the fact that question is offensive for you.

That you hate it, that it doesn't resonate since it's a therapist session.
And, that's the difference between everyday lay people from professionals.

Always expect there's a gap between them -- that the former won't understand and latter won't be as easily fooled.

People who cannot distinguish between anxiety from autism makes me laugh.
I don't respect people who always think autism is a form of anxiety or all about anxiety.

Anxiety and constant worrying is the main reason why I cannot relate well to autistics in this forum.
And you brought up everything that resonates commonly with autistics.

Even anxious allistics or even anxiety prone NTs can relate more to many autistics in that particular reason than I do because of that.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Even anxious allistics or even anxiety prone NTs can relate more to many autistics in that particular reason than I do because of that.

My mum was NT but she was what everyone called a "born worrier". She would overthink everything. It is possible to not have autism but be a worrier or a depressive. If all these different things were autism then everybody on the planet would be autistic. There are some things that are co-morbids of autism. Depression and anxiety can be co-morbids of any neurological disabilities or brain diseases. Some people with autism don't get anxious at all, or only feel anxiety when their routine changes or something. My anxieties are based around fears. Also I intensely feel things like embarrassment or empathy, stuff like that. Fear of being judged. Fear of certain pain. Fear of screwing up socially. It's what most allistics with anxiety disorders or social anxiety can typically get fearful of. The type of anxiety I suffer with is a disorder in itself, not a symptom of autism.
Some NTs commit suicide because they feel so disordered by depression or other mental health conditions. But would you (my therapist) go "oh, do you think that person had autism?" :roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 12:48 am

Joe90 wrote:
Some NTs commit suicide because they feel so disordered by depression or other mental health conditions. But would you (my therapist) go "oh, do you think that person had autism?" :roll:

I'll just say that depression, anxiety and disordered thinking affect everybody to some extent in their lives.

There is a general reluctance among NTs to admit they have mental health issues and pretend stoicism in the face of life's challenges because they believe it would be a sign of weakness or vulnerability to say they are feeling anxious or depressed. Much of the world's problems might be solved if all NTs admited openly when they don't feel 100% and practiced something as simple as mindfulness 10 min / day

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 4:06 am

VegetableMan wrote:
There are positive aspects of being on the spectrum that aren't always evident when we are younger, but become more so as we get older.

For me, being an outsider has given a perspective and wisdom that I might not have obtained if I fit well into the herd.

Very much this.

Realising how social media negatively impacts my well-being on a daily basis, and having the gumption to cut it out of my life.

Makes me more of an outsider, but all of my closest friends and family are on my phone's contact list.

I understand the frustrations Asperger's entail for me on a regular basis. My Anxiety and Depression manifest themselves within it, that's caused me a lot of problems over the years.

The panic attacks, nervous breakdowns, depressive episodes, meltdowns and shutdowns all blend together seamlessly.

I am my own worst enemy, constantly battling myself, and then having to battle everyone else and articulate to them why I am the way I am sends me round in circles.

For me, self-blame is more of an issue than self-acceptance.

I'm sorry to read of your frustrations Joe. It can feel like an eternal uphill struggle just functioning, just existing somewhere you don't belong, or pretends to make you belong so a box is ticked and a quota is filled.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 10:06 pm

I just hate having ASD and I hate it when people say it isn't that bad. Here's a list of reasons why I hate autism:-

1. It's always a case of Us Vs Them, which I hate. It's like we're the problem because we "can't put ourselves in other people's shoes" (whatever that really means) but it's OK for NTs to be unable to put themselves in autistic people's shoes because autistics are hard to empathise with. Or something like that. It's as though autistic people are less human or something. So autism makes me feel less human.

2. Autism sounds like an outdated term that doesn't describe the disorder any more. It was named autism back in the mid 20th century, to label people who couldn't talk and were severely locked inside their heads. Autism should have had its name changed years ago. I refuse to be labelled something that's another term for selfishness. No wonder people get so misled by it.

3. My parents weren't exactly prepared for bringing up a challenging burden of a kid, and they seemed just as afraid of autism as I was. My mum had PTSD because of her alcoholic father who made her childhood life 'abnormal', and having a kid on the autism spectrum brings abnormality and she was also afraid of how the world was treating me (being treated differently, more chance of being bullied, etc). No parent wants their kid being bullied and it is very rare for an autistic kid not to get bullied.

4. Society wants everyone to be normal, whatever that is. When you're not normal, you get judged, bullied, rejected, hated. It's so isolating and depressing when you have the same desires NTs have yet you're trapped by the horrible disease.

5. Yes, autism is somewhat a disease. I mean, I keep reading that autistic people have a shortened lifespan, so it might as well be a disease if it's going to kill you. And it's no good saying "oh that's only in severe autism cases" because what is severe? According to autism sites, mild, moderate and severe doesn't exist any more. We're all just one label now, right? So how does one know if they're "severely autistic" enough to have deadly autoimmune disorders as well? I could have an autoimmune disorder without even knowing, and I could die next week, or if I get covid (despite being boostered).

6. If it wasn't for autism I don't think I would have experienced such harsh treatment from other people all through my teens that have made me become a resentful adult that hates when people say all NTs have empathy and all autistics lack empathy.

7. The double standards. NTs inevitably are allowed to take things personally and autistics must understand that, but if an autistic takes something personally we're being selfish for "not thinking beyond ourselves". f*****g BS.

8. Autism is so isolating, so embarrassing, has the most inconvenient symptoms. Whoever heard of a brain disorder that makes you get severely obsessed with stuff? Whoever heard of a brain disorder that makes you sensitive to light, sounds, touch, etc? Why can't it just be a social communication disorder and be done with it? Why all these thousands of other symptoms that makes life suck?

9. Sharing a few symptoms with psychopathy. I've met a psychopath before and I feel deeply ashamed if I'm to be compared to him. Makes me shudder, even though I shared no traits with him AT ALL, my stupid embarrassing label says otherwise. I'm supposed to "lack empathy", meaning I'm supposed to not give a s**t about anybody's feelings.

10. Autism is not only genetic but also contagious . Ever heard of one autistic child affecting NT siblings? Usually NT siblings of an autistic develop anxiety, depression and low self-esteem. Autism is horrible. It's as tragic as Alzheimer's. But Alzheimer's kills you quicker and you get to live a life as neurotypical before getting it. Autism is usually something you are born with, or at least magically develop 4 years into your life like it did me, and then you die at around 50.

f**k autism. I f*****g HATE it with a vengeance. :evil:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 12:21 am

Joe90 wrote:
4. Society wants everyone to be normal, whatever that is. When you're not normal, you get judged, bullied, rejected, hated. It's so isolating and depressing when you have the same desires NTs have yet you're trapped by the horrible disease.

You aren't going to change NT society unfortunately. What you can do is change the circle of NTs you work/friends with. Posting this stuff on an autism forum is a waste of energy as its just an echo chamber since Aspies whom are successful in NT society rarely share tips on this forum (which is I think what you are after).

Why not just share your thoughts with NTs you know? express your inner thoughts and see if you can start with changing their views/beliefs.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 3:34 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm just not used to other people guessing I have ASD. All I did was tell her things that make me anxious (death, covid, cancer, WW3, losing loved ones, losing jobs, etc), and then she was all like "have you ever thought you might be autistic?" But I also told her ADHD-related things like being disorganised, disliking repetitiveness, being impulsive, etc, but she never said "have you ever thought you might have ADHD". She wasn't aware that I was diagnosed with ASD or ADHD until I told her after. Her view of autism meant "all anxiety" and her view of ADHD meant "impulsivity in adults, hyperactivity in children".

So after going through all the process of getting diagnosed with ADHD, it basically means nothing if it only means two things. So she has now made me feel worse about myself and I feel like quitting her sessions.

Maybe if I was neurotypical I wouldn't be stupid enough to worry about everything. :roll:
Now I better start pretending not to be anxious any more if it screams out autism so clearly. I thought anxiety disorders were a co-morbid to ASD or ADHD. I mean, sometimes I feel I get more anxious than a lot of members here because of the way I explode with panic in the "autistics will be thrown into nazi camps" and "WW3 is upon us" threads, while other members are just discussing it lightly.

its not a out autism

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 3:40 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

My mum was NT but she was what everyone called a "born worrier". She would overthink everything. It is possible to not have autism but be a worrier or a depressive. If all these different things were autism then everybody on the planet would be autistic. There are some things that are co-morbids of autism. Depression and anxiety can be co-morbids of any neurological disabilities or brain diseases. Some people with autism don't get anxious at all, or only feel anxiety when their routine changes or something. My anxieties are based around fears. Also I intensely feel things like embarrassment or empathy, stuff like that. Fear of being judged. Fear of certain pain. Fear of screwing up socially. It's what most allistics with anxiety disorders or social anxiety can typically get fearful of. The type of anxiety I suffer with is a disorder in itself, not a symptom of autism.

they don't understand autism

autism is not wrong

so I prefer studying over parties...should not be a problem

so I can't focus when someone is yapping at me...should not be a problem

so I like alone time to relax.....should not be a problem

the nts do not have a sperbrain and need to..f .....off

the empathy they feel is fake

they never get my thoughts or feelings right

they are delusional

stop seeing then as superior

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 3:44 am

they are not superior

they are boring

all they care about is social chit chat
they don't want to learn anything
they don't care about understanding anything
]they are empty and boring

they are walking egos

I'm bored

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 3:51 am

Joe90 wrote:
I just hate having ASD and I hate it when people say it isn't that bad. Here's a list of reasons why I hate autism:-

1. It's always a case of Us Vs Them, which I hate. It's like we're the problem because we "can't put ourselves in other people's shoes" (whatever that really means) but it's OK for NTs to be unable to put themselves in autistic people's shoes because autistics are hard to empathise with. Or something like that. It's as though autistic people are less human or something. So autism makes me feel less human.

2. Autism sounds like an outdated term that doesn't describe the disorder any more. It was named autism back in the mid 20th century, to label people who couldn't talk and were severely locked inside their heads. Autism should have had its name changed years ago. I refuse to be labelled something that's another term for selfishness. No wonder people get so misled by it.

3. My parents weren't exactly prepared for bringing up a challenging burden of a kid, and they seemed just as afraid of autism as I was. My mum had PTSD because of her alcoholic father who made her childhood life 'abnormal', and having a kid on the autism spectrum brings abnormality and she was also afraid of how the world was treating me (being treated differently, more chance of being bullied, etc). No parent wants their kid being bullied and it is very rare for an autistic kid not to get bullied.

5. Yes, autism is somewhat a disease. I mean, I keep reading that autistic people have a shortened lifespan, so it might as well be a disease if it's going to kill you. And it's no good saying "oh that's only in severe autism cases" because what is severe? According to autism sites, mild, moderate and severe doesn't exist any more. We're all just one label now, right? So how does one know if they're "severely autistic" enough to have deadly autoimmune disorders as well? I could have an autoimmune disorder without even knowing, and I could die next week, or if I get covid (despite being boostered).

6. If it wasn't for autism I don't think I would have experienced such harsh treatment from other people all through my teens that have made me become a resentful adult that hates when people say all NTs have empathy and all autistics lack empathy.

7. The double standards. NTs inevitably are allowed to take things personally and autistics must understand that, but if an autistic takes something personally we're being selfish for "not thinking beyond ourselves". f*****g BS.

8. Autism is so isolating, so embarrassing, has the most inconvenient symptoms. Whoever heard of a brain disorder that makes you get severely obsessed with stuff? Whoever heard of a brain disorder that makes you sensitive to light, sounds, touch, etc? Why can't it just be a social communication disorder and be done with it? Why all these thousands of other symptoms that makes life suck?

9. Sharing a few symptoms with psychopathy. I've met a psychopath before and I feel deeply ashamed if I'm to be compared to him. Makes me shudder, even though I shared no traits with him AT ALL, my stupid embarrassing label says otherwise. I'm supposed to "lack empathy", meaning I'm supposed to not give a s**t about anybody's feelings.

10. Autism is not only genetic but also contagious . Ever heard of one autistic child affecting NT siblings? Usually NT siblings of an autistic develop anxiety, depression and low self-esteem. Autism is horrible. It's as tragic as Alzheimer's. But Alzheimer's kills you quicker and you get to live a life as neurotypical before getting it. Autism is usually something you are born with, or at least magically develop 4 years into your life like it did me, and then you die at around 50.

f**k autism. I f*****g HATE it with a vengeance. :evil:

tell the nts with the superiority complex to f off

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 3:53 am

they have their problems too

they are. not so perfect

kinda dumb actually

all they care about is ego

boring...;

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 3:54 am

NT= ego

ego
ego

its boring

they are boring
]no passion for anything

but ego

so dull

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 3:55 am

IM BORED

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 4:48 am

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
IM BORED

figures

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 8:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

You aren't going to change NT society unfortunately. What you can do is change the circle of NTs you work/friends with. Posting this stuff on an autism forum is a waste of energy as its just an echo chamber since Aspies whom are successful in NT society rarely share tips on this forum (which is I think what you are after).

Why not just share your thoughts with NTs you know? express your inner thoughts and see if you can start with changing their views/beliefs.

I'm not after tips. I spend too much time thinking about autism, which gets me down. I come to WP and all it is is ''us and them'', ''you think you know empathy but you don't'', ''nobody will like you because you're autistic'', ''you look crazy when you're in public even if you think you are being normal'', ''NTs are all group thinkers, autistics are lone thinkers'', ''autism has 1000 physical illnesses that go with it'', and so on. It's not just about being accepted by other people, it's how isolating it feels whenever I read anything about it. All I want to feel is human. And the only way to feel human is to have as little amount of people knowing I have ''autism'' as possible. Also to keep away from autism sites. But I'm too addicted, and it's no good saying stupid things like ''oh go for a walk instead'' or something stupid because I can still access WP at any time. It's my only way to get the thoughts out to people that I can't tell the outside world, because the outside world is where I want to be normal.

Earthbound Alien, if you're bored then go and look for a more exciting thread.