Something I've never told anyone

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 8:12 pm

How do you define daydreaming?
I think I do that 24/7.
Honestly, my mind is always wandering in infinite numbers of directions.
I'm so accustomed to it, I don't know anything different.

JDintheQuietCorner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2022, 5:18 am

I mean… do you think / fear that your therapist is going to judge you or think less of you?

To a point, there are tasks that we all zone out doing, like when you drive somewhere and you really don’t remember anything about the drive and to a degree it’s like ‘How did I get here?’

There’s a quote that goes something like “What no writer’s wife understands is that even when the writer is looking out the window, he is working.”

Do you think the daydreaming has helped your career or hobbies to a degree or are they completely dissociated? or nothing to do with a task you’re facing and literally nonsense? Could you ‘adapt’ the daydreaming to make it more a thing of visualization that can be a helpful tool for situations or problems that you’re facing? Therapist might be able to help with this. Don’t be afraid to bring it up. It’s what you pay him/her for.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2022, 3:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
How do you define daydreaming?
I think I do that 24/7.
Honestly, my mind is always wandering in infinite numbers of directions.
I'm so accustomed to it, I don't know anything different.

Sorry for taking so long in answering. How do I define it? For me it's when you disconnect from the real world completely, to the point that if, say, an elephant just happens to fall through the roof you wouldn't notice, while your mind is in a made-up, imaginary, yet extremely detailed and feature rich world that may or may not be realistic. More often than not, for me at least, daydreaming isn't complete if not accompanied with some sort real physical movement, in my case, pacing or running up and down non stop, seems like doing so helps dissociating even further from the real world.
I should mention, while daydreaming, I may be imagining a good place and situation or the absolute contrary, I think my mood affects it a lot.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2022, 3:17 pm

JDintheQuietCorner wrote:
I mean… do you think / fear that your therapist is going to judge you or think less of you?

To a point, there are tasks that we all zone out doing, like when you drive somewhere and you really don’t remember anything about the drive and to a degree it’s like ‘How did I get here?’

There’s a quote that goes something like “What no writer’s wife understands is that even when the writer is looking out the window, he is working.”

Do you think the daydreaming has helped your career or hobbies to a degree or are they completely dissociated? or nothing to do with a task you’re facing and literally nonsense? Could you ‘adapt’ the daydreaming to make it more a thing of visualization that can be a helpful tool for situations or problems that you’re facing? Therapist might be able to help with this. Don’t be afraid to bring it up. It’s what you pay him/her for.

I never taught my therapist would think more or less of me but still... for no reasonable reason, I've never spoken about it. I think daydreaming for me has been a double sided weapon, it has helped me as much as it hurt me. It definitely helps with anxiety and whatnot, and yes, sometimes I've managed to use it to visualise problems and potential solutions, as well as for further understanding and remembering new learnt concepts and techniques. Sitll it sucks so much time and energy... Controlling it is needed.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2022, 3:27 pm

After a few weeks, maybe and update would be a good thing to do.
So it's been... weird (who could have thought trying to control something that one has done for a lifetime was going to be tricky?). In the first days I could control it very very well as stated, but then I panicked a bit. As mentioned, I've been going back to uni for my MTCNA course (which I passed by the way) and while being there I felt like a part of me wasn't there anymore. Daydreaming had been useful sometimes, I want to control it, not kill it, and at some moment I wanted to daydream and I couldn't, but I'm sure it was because of my brain playing anxiety tricks on me (again). Anyway, not long after I that episode, I was back to normal, I.E before trying to do anything (how frustrating!! !). Now I'll go with a different approach, I've seen it can be useful, and I now I can control when I DON'T want it... I need to figure out how to trigger it. That way, I can trigger it while commuting or waiting, that way I got best of both worlds, uninterrupted work hours (or at least not wasted in wonderland) and not only not getting bored but using that dead time to try using daydreaming as a helping tool to myself (if that makes any sense at all). I'll give it a try. I think, one major factor is going to be, those days I don't have a schedule and I'm home, allowing some time for it but not overusing it. It can truly eat up a whole weekend and drain you up.