Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 10:52 am

All they keep banging on about is climate change and asking everyone to do their part to save the environment. But then they go and move high street stores to places where you have to drive your car to get to. :roll:

And they cut down thousands of trees to build a thousand houses on lovely big fields where wild animals lived. :roll:

And they're going on about electric cars being better for the environment, but they're dangerous. A few weeks ago a bus depot blew up because of a new electric bus being on charge and the charger was subtly faulty without anyone knowing until it caught fire, and also the two next to it caught fire too. The plume of black smoke that rose into the air was enough to cause a smog over half the town and people were advised to stay indoors and keep their windows closed. Saving the environment indeed. :roll:

So what are we (the public) supposed to do to stop climate change? Fed up with such stupidity. Nothing makes sense. I'm so angry and also worried about our future.

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 1:14 pm

Everyone's stuck with paper straws because the plastic ones end up in the ocean's which is bad for fish. Except nets, ropes and other rubbish thrown away by commercial fishers and all manner of industrial crap makes up a much bigger portion of ocean pollution and paper straws aren't even that much more environmentally friendly.

So that's another example. It's like the people in charge want to make it seem like they're doing something important to get the advocacy groups to shut up, naturally they don't actually care.
I wouldn't mind doing my part to keep the world clean but I'm not the one in charge of the dumping and recycling or anything. The average person can't do much in their power about any of these things. All they can do is ask the people with power to do something. And then they pull all the aforementioned crap.
Future generations will be forced to clean all the sh-- up or they're f---ed. Wether they will or not is another question entirely of course.

But yeah, things suck.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 2:56 pm

you could have boats trawling for nets instead of fish :)
Hopefully thats possible.
I think I'm about done with this world as I've experienced the major life events that you're supposed to. None of them turned out for the best with the exception of having a daughter, but now I'm just done.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 5:25 pm

I don't like the idea of electric cars.

Vasco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2022, 5:31 pm

There's a term for the current/next generations of humans who fear climate change so much that it affects their mental health:
It's called climate anxiety.
Nowadays, lots of people seem to have it - especially those who are adept with electronics.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 5:38 pm

Electric cars create the problem of what to do with the batteries when they die.
Same as solar panels and their batteries.
Seems we can only exchange one environmental disaster with another for the next generation to deal with.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 6:16 pm

/\Humanity makes me think of this.
As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly.
Proverbs 26:11

Kitsuna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2022, 6:31 pm

Kerch wrote:
I wouldn't mind doing my part to keep the world clean but I'm not the one in charge of the dumping and recycling or anything. The average person can't do much in their power about any of these things. All they can do is ask the people with power to do something. And then they pull all the aforementioned crap.
Future generations will be forced to clean all the sh-- up or they're f---ed. Wether they will or not is another question entirely of course.

But yeah, things suck.

I'm slightly the odd person out in this thread because I've always been a bit big on conservation stuff, but I unfortunately I have to agree with this. Even recycling is kind of boils down to a feel-good thing and just using less in the first place does more. I guess the good thing is people are trying to do things without going through the government - i.e someone created a giant mechanism (https://theoceancleanup.com) for catching trash in the ocean.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 6:42 pm

Quote:
I'm slightly the odd person out in this thread because I've always a bit big on conservation stuff, but I unfortunately I have to agree with this. Even recycling is kind of boils down to a feel-good thing and just using less in the first place does more. I guess the good thing is people are trying to do things without going through the government - i.e someone created a giant mechanism (https://theoceancleanup.com) for catching trash in the ocean.

The problem with recycling is that it's only one part of a system of approaches towards a healthier environment: reduce, reuse, recycle, and restore. Nothing is perfect of course, and I get discouraged with the stories I've heard about recycling failures (and it's not without its drawbacks either), but I know for a fact that if I throw something out, it will never be recycled.

I firmly believe that Earth will be much better off without us humans and am very happy that I never brought children into this mess, but I'm very sad for all those species and ecosystems that we will take down with us on our path to self-destruction.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 8:50 pm

I think animals should have more rights than they do. It's always about humans all the time.

And I think they should invent cars that use water to go so that they produce steam instead of toxic chemicals. Yes I know it sounds like impossible science fiction but so were iPhones at one point, now look how far we've come.

Or encourage people to drive less and walk more, like by keeping stores in the high street instead of moving them in areas where you have to drive to get to.

I just feel so helpless that I can't do anything against such stupid decisions that the government or council make. Like with these stupid electric scooters that I see people riding on sidewalks everywhere. As a pedestrian not only I have to watch out for cars, I now have to watch out for those stupid electric scooters silently coming up behind me. Why don't they just bloody walk, or at least use a bike? But no, the government actually think those things are a good idea.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 9:22 pm

Joe90 wrote:
And I think they should invent cars that use water to go so that they produce steam instead of toxic chemicals. Yes I know it sounds like impossible science fiction but so were iPhones at one point, now look how far we've come.

Hydrogen powered vehicles in theory produce only water, but as usual, there are problems. Much like electric vehicles, when they aren't creating their own pollution problems, as things stand they push the pollution problem elsewhere in the energy chain.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 9:28 pm

I can't help wondering how a concentration of 0.04% carbon dioxide in the atmosphere can really influence the climate or endanger the planet.

I'm forced to ask myself whether people are being taken for a ride.

Clue: Yes

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 9:50 pm

Oh I can't stand this sometimes. I want to get off the planet and the hell away from people sometimes. No it doesn't make much sense the foolish way things are.

There is a philosopher who thought though, that what is happening to us is normal for a species that is soon to discover star flight.

Meaning nature is smarter than we realize. Keep in mind nature created us. Nature came first before us. And we are still nature weather we like to admit it or not.

What I'm getting at is Gia might be in the process of removing us from the planet but first she has to find a way to remove herself, so we have no choice but to leave. Kind of like a mother that has to use tough love to make her kid grow up. So perhaps then we search for something else. Or maybe ourselves. If we survive this it will most likely an awakening process. Much like astronauts have when they see fragile earth from space. But there are already people living in space right now and maybe even technology the government has most people aren't aware of.

So I mean some people believe this theory. I keep it as a ray of hope. Even though I don't really understand it. Because I like nature and wish for part of it to be intact as we leave. But I have a feeling that's not how this works. We have to be left with no choice, if we are to grow up.

Last edited by Sarahsmith on 01 Jul 2022, 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 9:54 pm

Please no one get mad at me for saying that. Because if I had my way I'd keep nature around and make all the people who are jerks to nature leave the planet.

Oh and there are always mass extinctions of nature on earth. She'll come back when she's ready and when we are ready.

This is just a theory. Please no one get mad. I support environmental activism.

Kitsuna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2022, 11:01 pm

Just coming back to this thread…

I feel worried I might’ve put people off by how I lead in on my post. If I did I’m really, really sorry.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 11:05 pm

I feel that nature eventually overtakes everything. Has anyone seen the documentary series Life After People? It says that if humans were to disappear the earth will restore itself, even if there is still harmful substances like plastic everywhere, nature will still find a way to grow through it. The only thing that may ruin all of life on Earth is if it is destroyed by a nuclear disaster, but probably thousands of years after that nature will still somehow make a comeback.

But as long as humans are here living on Earth, it will be destroyed. But not really the planet itself. Just the humans living on it and the poor animals that are getting pushed aside to make way for the greedy, money-making beasts (humans). It makes me ashamed of being a human. But humans will go through hell and high waters to grab money, even if it kills us.