Should I say something to the landlords?

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 4:22 pm

Pardon the jest here, as I do understand the issue is miserable, As a thought you could find the largest most burley
Irishman , * ( insert your choice of nationality or character here)* With a deep bass voice and pay him to knock on there door and ask about the Sounds they make at all hours ? .Politely or otherwise ? :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 5:33 pm

Jakki wrote:
Pardon the jest here, as I do understand the issue is miserable, As a thought you could find the largest most burley
Irishman , * ( insert your choice of nationality or character here)* With a deep bass voice and pay him to knock on there door and ask about the Sounds they make at all hours ? .Politely or otherwise ? :roll:

:lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 4:51 am

But I do know that my ears are getting sore from permanently having to have earplugs in all the time, or at least one (sometimes wearing just one in my least deaf ear works the same) but I don't want to wear noise-cancelling headphones because they'll be a nuisance when I'm laying in bed. I can't lay on my back.

What worries me about them upstairs is they never, ever go out. We've never seen them but we know they're always up there. The only time we've seen them is when they were moving in, 9 months ago. The baby was a newborn then so it must be about 9 months now. I feel sorry for it in a way (oh, I do have sympathy then) because it's never been outside as far as I know.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 9:59 pm

I'm just fed up with them. It's 3.30am and I've just been woken by loud thumping and stomping about upstairs. What are they doing at that time of the morning to make so much f*****g noise? It's like they're stamping around the room like elephants. Even if they're changing the baby's diaper or something you don't stamp around while doing it, and the only other reason to get up is to use the bathroom, which doesn't involve stamping around the bedroom. And please don't say they're having sex because I don't want to know and I know that's not what they're doing. It sounds like they're walking around the room or something.

Sorry to be always posting about this, but sometimes it makes me feel better to vent, because I don't like to keep on and on to my boyfriend but I can't just keep it bottled up so this is how I get it off my chest.

I wish I could get the landlords to install some sound insulation or something between their floor and our ceiling. It's the only solution to the problem if we want to stay here instead of moving. I don't really want to move. But I don't know what else to do. I'll even pay the landlords to do something to muffle the sound a bit. All weekend all they've been doing is bomp, bomp, bomp. It sounds like they're leaping across the room - you hear one loud thump one side of the room followed by another loud thump the other side, then thundering footsteps that literally shake the walls, followed by more banging, and it just goes on like that all day without any pauses. How can those be normal everyday noises in a small apartment? It would be OK if it was sporadic but it isn't. It's constant. How can anyone not be distracted by this? It's actually beginning to make me ill - that's how bad it is.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 10:22 pm

This is in The Haven and is your thread about an on-going problem. You should vent here as much as you need.

I can understand that daily noises at your own home at any time of the day/night must be truly stressful. I don't think what your upstairs neighbors are doing is within acceptable limits. The noise level could be improved dramatically if the neighbors were even slightly considerate. You should talk to your landlord about it. You shouldn't have to live like that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 10:44 pm

Quote:
This is in The Haven and is your thread about an on-going problem. You should vent here as much as you need.

Thanks for being understanding.

Quote:
I can understand that daily noises at your own home at any time of the day/night must be truly stressful. I don't think what your upstairs neighbors are doing is within acceptable limits. The noise level could be improved dramatically if the neighbors were even slightly considerate. You should talk to your landlord about it. You shouldn't have to live like that.

Like I said, if the banging was sporadic, then I would just dismiss it as everyday noises. But what we have to hear is constant with no let up. My ears are suffering badly from always wearing earplugs, and noise-cancelling headphones are too bulky to wear in bed so I have to use earplugs. The soft spongy ones don't keep the sound out like the harder rubbery ones do (although I can still hear their noise with earplugs!) The pictures on our walls even tilt with the vibration of the constant stomping above.

I was thinking of not complaining to the landlords but just tell them about the noise and what I can do. But I have a feeling they'll just say "we are unable to install sound insulation" or something like that. These apartments are only about 30 years old or less, so they're not ancient. I'm sure there is something they can do to muffle the sound a bit. The floor above seems very hollow but I still think they move around doing weird noisy things more than expected, I don't pin the blame entirely on the floorboards. But I think that some sort of sound insulation might help lessen the tone of the banging and make it more bearable and easier to ignore.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 4:00 pm

OK, something is really going on upstairs and it seems that isn't me being paranoid or noise sensitive here. When we were eating dinner we heard the loudest and most intense thumps ever above our heads. It literally sounded like they were fighting, like one was throwing the other across the room, and furniture was being thrown around. Even my boyfriend looked frightened as we both thought the ceiling was going to collapse or something. Even the lights flickered as they were banging - and it left the light swinging slightly and the pictures on the wall moved! Then we heard screaming and crying followed by more violent banging. Surely something has to be done about that and I can assure you that is NOT normal everyday noises. That's what I've been trying to say throughout this whole thread - it's worse than you think. It sounds like domestic abuse is going on up there and I fear for their safety (the one who is being abused). Also we shouldn't have to put up with such unpredictable real banging like that. If it was enough to even frighten my boyfriend then it was bad.

My boyfriend said we shouldn't really go up there though, even though I wanted to save their baby from all that. But he's right - he said we don't know what they could be like, the abuser (I assume it's the man because we can hear the woman crying) could turn on us if we go up there and intervene, even if we're polite about it. So instead my boyfriend is going to phone the landlords, not to complain as such but to just express concern about their well-being up there because it seems something is going on. That noise was terrifying, I really thought the building was going to collapse and it sounded like someone was being severely beaten up.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 4:03 pm

hope something happens to make them stop

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 4:03 pm

Perhaps they practise judo.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 4:47 pm

I would call 999.
I've done it a few times myself.
I have neighbours down the street (not sure which house), who have screaming rows now and then.
The cops have never been able to identify them.
It's always midday when there's no other neighbours around to say anything.

They always tell me better safe than sorry.
That's especially true for you if they have a baby.
You can do it anonymously.
Notifying the landlord is good, but they might just do a wellness check and not intervene.

DV is no laughing matter.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 5:18 pm

Yes, I would call the police. I hope the woman and child are ok.

When I first moved to my flat, I heard the tenant next door make a lot of noise....it sounded like he was flinging his partner from one end of the room to another. She was screaming and crying and it went on forever.... she'd pass out or something, wake up and it'd start again. I should've contacted the police, but messaged my landlord the next day. They gave him one chance and told me to let them know if it happens again. Other tenants kept an eye out too. It did happen again and they evicted him.

If something like that happened again, I would instantly contact the police.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 5:20 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I would call 999.
I've done it a few times myself.
I have neighbours down the street (not sure which house), who have screaming rows now and then.
The cops have never been able to identify them.
It's always midday when there's no other neighbours around to say anything.

They always tell me better safe than sorry.
That's especially true for you if they have a baby.
You can do it anonymously.
Notifying the landlord is good, but they might just do a wellness check and not intervene.

DV is no laughing matter.

We were considering on calling the police but we wasn't sure if it would be too forward, even though there's definitely something wrong up there. It's making me all edgy more than ever because I'm afraid they might do it again in the night. The noise is loud enough to disturb both of us. I also fear for the baby's safety. Domestic abuse is bad but when there's a vulnerable baby living there too, it's unbearable to think about. And to think I have heard the baby screaming often, its screams sound very disturbing. Maybe he's a violent control freak who doesn't let her out and he just beats her up all the time. It's disturbing to listen to below. I feel something needs to be done, as it can be frightening living with a violent abuser who makes sure you can't escape. My aunt went through the same thing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 5:24 pm

I've been through it too.
I used to pray that someone would report it.
I couldn't report it myself.

When we finally got to court I relied on all that documentation.

If they divorce, the abused parent might also need records for custody.

It's not too forward at all.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 5:30 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've been through it too.
I used to pray that someone would report it.
I couldn't report it myself.

When we finally got to court I relied on all that documentation.

If they divorce, the abused parent might also need records for custody.

It's not too forward at all.

I'm really sorry you went through that. :|

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 4:59 am

If they do that again then we will call the police. It is making me very jumpy because I keep thinking there's going to be a sudden loud thump again like last night. It literally sounded like the man was throwing the woman across the room several times and knocking her into all the furniture. I really thought they were going to come through the ceiling. While I have sympathy for the woman and the baby, it still isn't fair on us to have to hear all that.

I'm also worried because I haven't heard the baby cry since. But I reckon the baby is being abused too, because when it does cry there is always banging and crashing accompanying it, and the baby literally screams like its in pain. I really don't like it. I don't like living below violence. What if the crazy guy sets the place on fire or something?

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 5:18 am

Well you won't have to hear it if you do something about it. Like Isabella said, it needs to be reported.

What you've just described there about DV and possible child abuse, is very worrying and something needs to be done about it. What if you wait to report and it's too late? Somebody needs to report it, and it won't be the victims making that move for obvious reasons.