Someone from my school died recently

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

skrish234
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2022, 3:38 pm

Yesterday, the substitute teacher in my math class announced that a student from my school died recently. It was a sudden death. That person's friends were saying it was a suicide. (trigger warning). I didn't know the person at all, and I never even heard their name before. I don't know why I'm grieving over a person I never knew. It feels weird because I shouldn't even grieve over a person I never knew. This girl was around 16 years old. The same thing happened with another student 3 years back. He was 15 when he committed suicide. I grieved over that guy too, but this girl's death hits different. The whole school was impacted. How do I move forward from this grief?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 3:47 pm

Why shouldn't you grieve over a person you don't know? Is it wrong to?

Or is it that you're a normal human being with a heart? :heart:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 4:02 pm

Sweet Pea hugs

I'm sorry about your loss. I remember when someone from my school died when I was in high school.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 4:26 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that.

Tragedies like teen death catch us off guard whether we know the person or not.
It reminds us of our own mortality.
It makes us think about bigger questions (philosophical, religious, mental health, etc.)

When we see other people grieving it stirs up feelings we don't normally access.
It's very hard to know how to comfort people when there's nothing we can do.

I hope your school has set up some bereavement counselling for anyone who needs it.

skrish234
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2022, 4:56 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Why shouldn't you grieve over a person you don't know? Is it wrong to?

Or is it that you're a normal human being with a heart? :heart:

I don't know but I guess grief is mysterious

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 10:59 pm

This person died young. I grieve when people die when they are young.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:30 am

Whenever someone dies I either don't grieve at all or I grieve for maybe a few minutes then dry my tears and move on with my day. I really must be a psychopath.

Although when my mother told me our dog was killed by a car when I was a kid, I was up all night crying. And then a year or so later when my new puppy was killed by a car right outside our house at the start of summer vacation, I spent the whole summer in mourning. I also started having anxiety attacks and became really afraid of dying.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:17 am

The death of any being, whether human or not, whether young or old, is always sad, all equally, though if you know the person and like it (them), it is sad in a more personal way. It's a departure of a soul. Even the death of a pest such as a mouse or cockroach invokes sadness. It's a natural feeling.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:55 am

Time.. time heals all.

I was in one of the only grad years where not one student in the school (grade 11/12 only, around 1500 students.. over 700 grads) died. I heard there's typically at least one that dies in a car accident, from a drug overdose, or from a suicide etc and we lucked out and no one died, so I never had to process any of that in high school so can't exactly relate 100% as to how I'd feel or deal with it.

But, since then (23 years) I've known a lot of people that have died. Especially the last few years as 25 people or so that I know have died. Just gotta carry on with life. In time grief diminishes, but the memories of people don't - which is nice. :)