I'm giving up on "witchy" s**t

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 7:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The world we live in is competitive. it is a pissing contest, Not a community of people singing kumbayah.

I don't respect a platform that consistently pistol-whips or smacks around people who were going to to the right thing anyway as if they weren't and never put enough space between impulse and action to find out. I don't respect the cheapness of life or the Hunger Games / Squid Game ethos, nor the idea that income and status are the only metrics worth measuring on a person (especially when they're doled out mostly on raw neurological conformity). I don't think I really need to respect those things beyond the reality that those implementing them as policy have the power to continue implementing them. It forces sh***y outcomes that didn't have to be there if the first priority wasn't dominance and prevention of peace for its own sake. What I REALLY don't respect is the idea of needing to be a worse person to survive, that makes me throw up in my mouth a bit every time I have to confront it.

There are many clicks and settings between neo-feudalism on one hand and 'a community of people singing kumbayah'. It takes someone with a real lack of imagination not to see that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 7:45 pm

Rather that looking outside yourself for fulfillment, why not look inward instead? You already have everything you need, and its all right there.

Yes, life is meaningless, that's rather the point. Be who who are, do what you want, and enjoy what you can. If you can help others along the way? So much the better.

I think you are making it too hard - trying to create a game you can't win. Maybe stop doing that?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Following a particular philosopher, scientist, life coach, guru, teacher or intellectual might bring you closer to the truth? there again you might just be convincing yourself it works because you "feel right" or you have a hunch.

You jumped on a 'smell' here rather than understanding what I was talking about.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:49 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Following a particular philosopher, scientist, life coach, guru, teacher or intellectual might bring you closer to the truth? there again you might just be convincing yourself it works because you "feel right" or you have a hunch.

You jumped on a 'smell' here rather than understanding what I was talking about.

We both know philosophy is subjective

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:50 pm

DanielW wrote:
Yes, life is meaningless, that's rather the point. Be who who are, do what you want, and enjoy what you can. If you can help others along the way? So much the better.

It's helpful to gameify life. Take on the role of an actor/player and play the role well enough to contribute in a positive way.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 9:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I was right, you completely missed the point.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 9:24 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I was right, you completely missed the point.

Does it matter since if the message is in the eye of the beholder?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 9:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:

That a fancy way of saying that reading comprehension is optional?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 9:51 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

That a fancy way of saying that reading comprehension is optional?

We are not in school. I am not required to give a report on your essays

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 9:56 pm

lostproperty wrote:
Oddly enough I first came across him through an experimental album/LP he'd made in 1962 (pre-Beatles first single incredibly), a track called "Love you" which upon first hearing would probably strike the average listener as one of the most disturbing and insane pieces of 'music' ever committed to record, particularly the ending which could easily be mistaken as satanic, but I got it straight away and it led me into investigating him further.

Listened to it just now here.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding it, but to me it sounded like a musical rendition of two men having sex, and the ending sounded to me like an orgasm. I suppose that would have been considered "Satanic" back in 1962.

(I also found a description of the album here.)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 9:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Sounds like you didn't need to say anything in the first place.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 10:30 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

And yet I do :wink:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 10:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I say this in the kindest way possible, but, would you like a bigger shovel?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 4:11 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding it, but to me it sounded like a musical rendition of two men having sex, and the ending sounded to me like an orgasm. here.)

If that's the sound of a male orgasm, I have seriously been missing out. 8O

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 4:30 am

ThisTimelessMoment wrote:
Pity he couldn't heal all his own issues.

He comes across as a very content and often jolly English eccentric until very close to the end. Perhaps it was just a case of excess finally catching up with him and he was one of those people who packed several life journeys into one.
By late 1972/73 he sounds quite irritated and inpatient at times to my ears, like an old grump reluctantly trotting out his greatest hits who'd done all that he needed to do.

A shout out for Ram Dass (Richard Alpert) as well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 4:31 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I say this in the kindest way possible, but, would you like a bigger shovel?

That's ok, I'm used to digging my own grave