Mild AS and Overthinking

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Ztower
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2010, 5:05 am

My counseler has said that I may have mild Aspergers based on our conversation and she referred me to a psychologist to explore it further. I don't doubt that I may have AS because I do fit some of the symptoms but I have come to realize that I am overthinking this whole thing and I could be enjoying myself with other things. I don't know if I could also be depressed, have a case of GAD, OCD, or w/e; I guess I will find out with a psychologist. How do you deal with overthinking?

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jan 2010, 11:47 am

I was also told that my AS was mild or that I MIGHT have mild AS, and I was so relieved for some perverted reason.

I used to overthink. But in my experience, people who overthink end up with the wrong answers just like the people that don't think at all. Just use your intuition and trust it; it's not stupid. I had to learn that the hard way because I thought intuition was just stupidity.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 11:59 am

Shareese wrote:
I used to overthink. But in my experience, people who overthink end up with the wrong answers just like the people that don't think at all. Just use your intuition and trust it; it's not stupid. I had to learn that the hard way because I thought intuition was just stupidity.

I agree with Shareese. Also people who overthink tend to stagnate developmentally, because all the second-guessing essentially causes inertia. They don't know what the "right answer" might be, so they don't know what to do and become indecisive. One thing I've learned the hard way is that when you overthink, it's possibly a sign that something is still confusing you, and that you don't really have the knowledge or experience to resolve the lingering problems in your mind in a straightforward manner. If you are lacking experience, the only way to fix that deficiency is to move on and continue to live life. Then in the future, when you are hopefully in a better position mentally, you can revisit the past issue that once caused you to overthink, and may find the issue much more tractable.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 10:12 am

I have mild AS and I tend to overthink

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 10:53 pm

I tend to do that but about giftedness rather that asperger. I don't know how to get out of that. :(

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 11:12 pm

I've been an over-thinker since as early as i can remember. It's not something I want to fix, because it's part of who I am, and I enjoy it. The only problem is when I can't get to sleep cause I can't stop thinking. Melatonin does a good enough job of helping with that, so I don't see it as a problem.

My over-thinking has been a area of strength professionally too. My job tittle is analyst. I will continue to over-think for $ and enjoy every minute of it. :-)

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2010, 7:55 pm

Likewise Marty.

MartyMoose wrote:
I have mild AS and I tend to overthink

being hangova is nice. slows down the mind.

for me anyway..

I'm sure there is alternatives?

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 2:13 pm

Well, I dunno if this will help, but if you're trying to sleep and overthinking is an issue, try to keep one image/concept in your mind. I tend to use the bouncing/spinning object method: focus said object/entity in your mind and start "playing" with it . . . have it bounce, move, spin, shift, etc. It works our pretty well and sleep comes some minutes later.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2010, 8:43 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
Well, I dunno if this will help, but if you're trying to sleep and overthinking is an issue, try to keep one image/concept in your mind. I tend to use the bouncing/spinning object method: focus said object/entity in your mind and start "playing" with it . . . have it bounce, move, spin, shift, etc. It works our pretty well and sleep comes some minutes later.

seems like a good tactic.. I'll give it ago..

And walking is good/exercise (music to stop looking)

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 1:14 pm

kiwi wrote:
PlatedDrake wrote:

seems like a good tactic.. I'll give it ago..

And walking is good/exercise (music to stop looking)

Its a little method i developed when working and could grab some rest during breaks/lunches. Just make sure you have a watch with an alarm that's set correctly (really embarassing to wake up and be 20 minutes late to clock back in). :lol:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 5:55 pm

Another over-thinker here! I look way too deeply into things and analyse them dry and just keep thinking and thinking.
And I'm also "mild" AS. But even a little bit is way more than enough!

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 12:43 pm

Shareese wrote:
I was also told that my AS was mild or that I MIGHT have mild AS, and I was so relieved for some perverted reason.

good advice...

Also, check into cognitive therapy but if you really have trouble with this, go on some meds until you establish better thinking habits.

-Pythagoras

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 7:30 pm

I find myself overthinking about many different things. Sometimes, I spend so much time thinking, that I have less time for other things.

Haoh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2010, 11:17 pm

Mine's has cost me a lot of things. Like time, energy, my health, and relationships damaged or destroyed. Also, I often can't make decisions until it's too late to act and then I get screwed over for it later. I can't cope with the fact that I do this and this is a reason that I'm sad and angry with people on and off line. I need some help but I know I won't get it here. I have learned that through the chat.