Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

kip
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 9:58 pm

Mum's old cat had to be rushed to the vet today. We think she might have had a stroke. Now, she's 20, which is VERY old for a feline. Mum's still pretty upset about it though, and it was bad enough I had to drive. They are keeping Milo, the cat, overnight for observation. We'll know more tomorrow about what's wrong with her and if it can be fixed.

If she does pass, she'll leave behind my old girl Anita as the last of the old order cats we have. I think it kinda bothers Mum, it signals basically an end to an era. Also, she loves that crazy old bat cat.

Oh well, I suppose. Not much can be done except hope for the best.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 10:30 pm

I hope that your cat makes it through, okay. :cry:

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 11:26 pm

Praying for and thinking of your mom and the cat. I hope everything and everyone is okay.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 11:30 pm

Sorry to hear that. :( I'm also dealing with a sick elderly cat right now and it's a really sad time.
I hope Milo is okay. And I hope your mom is okay too, because I know how heartbreaking it is to have a good animal friend being ill.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 12:16 am

Thanks everyone. I'll pass your sentiments on to her, I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 4:03 am

kip wrote:
Mum's old cat had to be rushed to the vet today. We think she might have had a stroke. Now, she's 20, which is VERY old for a feline. Mum's still pretty upset about it though, and it was bad enough I had to drive. They are keeping Milo, the cat, overnight for observation. We'll know more tomorrow about what's wrong with her and if it can be fixed.

If she does pass, she'll leave behind my old girl Anita as the last of the old order cats we have. I think it kinda bothers Mum, it signals basically an end to an era. Also, she loves that crazy old bat cat.

Oh well, I suppose. Not much can be done except hope for the best.

My almost 20 year old cat passed away a few years ago of kidney failure. On a weekend of course when it was impossible to get a hold of the proper vet. I should have known, as that's typically how things go.

I hope your mother's cat is either ok, or passes peacefully without any pain or suffering.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 4:51 am

the worst thing i ever had to experience was the death of my cat called "tiger" (yeah original).

he was 24 years old when he died. when he was 10, someone belted him in the head, and we found him sitting under a stack of wood with his bottom jaw that was facing sideways.
the vet wired up his jaw, but left a razor sharp wire protruding into his mouth which lacerated his tongue.
2/3rds of his tongue was cut off by the wire and after we realized the wire was protruding and got it fixed, he had only 1/3rd of a tongue left. the vet said he would not live every long after that.

he went on to become a healthy cat for many years, but when he was 18 or so, he did not look very nice because he could not lick himself clean, so his fur looked dull.

other members of my family (i was 8 at the time) did not want to pet him and they said things like "oh god! you should get him put down! he is so ugly".
he was snaggle toothed and he did not look nice enough for anyone to be attracted to pet him.
i loved him with all my soul. he lost his voice and he used to sit outside my door making a faint croaking sound, and when i let him in, he crawled up onto my bed and i used to lie with him and stroke him and talk to him because he was my best friend.

his love was as valuable to me as any love that could be.

i felt so close to him, and he was like a shabby bag of bones in the end, but he offered his head for me to kiss, and he used to purr because he soaked up my love with much appreciation.

i hated the other people in my family who considered him to be worthless. i could not understand how they thought of him as a dirty old flea bag. he did not have fleas. he was so real and his life was infinitely valuable.

my sisters are all very much older than me, and when tiger was 24, i was 14, and my sisters had children and their children all said "ooooh yuk!! !" about tiger.
anyway, he got a urethral tube blockage because he passed a kidney stone and it got stuck in his urethra, and he could not urinate.
the vets refused to operate because they said it would kill him. but he would die if they did not operate so i did not understand.
i knew he was strong enough to survive a small operation but they refused.

so we kept him at home and he got weaker and weaker and he became poisoned by his blood that could not be cleaned, and there was a small chance that he would pass the stone so i decided to give him that chance.
people said i should have had him put down but i hoped he would pass the stone and come back to health.

he was in a coma for a few days before he died, and at the minute he died he woke up and looked at me and meowed in his croaky way and then he stopped breathing and i screamed for him not to leave me but his eyes glazed and they returned to looking straight ahead and he was gone.

i went out and ran through the bush screaming and yelling at god and i hated everything and i wanted god to kill me too.

i know how valuable the life of your mothers friend may be and i identify with why she was too distraught to drive.
i hope he pulls through, but i think he may not.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 11:48 am

Milo is being put down today. Her kidneys have failed. I suppose it's time, still sucks though.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 12:30 pm

b9 and kjp

Your posts really made me cry.

I'm so sorry about your mother's cat, kjp. :cry:

I posted in The Haven also about a loss of a dog in our family. My aunt and uncle's beloved dog of nearly 14 years had to be put down nearly 2 weeks ago. I miss Emily so very much. Last night I was crying in my sleep just missing Emily so much. I held Emily when she was only 3 weeks old. I said my good byes to her before the vet put her to sleep. It's like dogs and cats know when their time comes. They give their owners this look. Again, so sorry to both of you.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 12:33 pm

This part made me cry, b9
he was in a coma for a few days before he died, and at the minute he died he woke up and looked at me and meowed in his croaky way and then he stopped breathing and i screamed for him not to leave me but his eyes glazed and they returned to looking straight ahead and he was gone.

You truly loved your cat. You are truly an animal lover. It doesn't matter what our dogs or cats look like. I'm sure Tiger loved you back as well.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)