Do you envy any other WP members?
yes 48%  48%  [ 26 ]
no 52%  52%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 54

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 11:46 pm

I think I envy those of you who know for sure that you're NT or that you're not.

Right now I am just very tired of being torn between a desire to relate and doing a godawful job of it. I care deeply for people...VERY deeply. I have even felt a religious calling to serve. True, there are some people in the Bible that I think are diagnosable. (St. Peter seems like a pretty clearcut case of ADHD. :) ) But still, it makes me feel torn in half. I want to serve and to help people, but I don't want to hurt them.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 11:57 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
I want to serve and to help people, but I don't want to hurt them.

Good for you.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2010, 11:24 am

I don't think I feel envious most of the time. I would be happy for someone who knows more or is better then me in some way, not wish I could take it from them.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 1:34 pm

b9 wrote:

everything has it's place and i am in my place no matter whether there are better or lesser people than me.

+1

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 2:12 pm

Coldkick wrote:
I don't think I feel envious most of the time. I would be happy for someone who knows more or is better then me in some way, not wish I could take it from them.

Well said. When I was a kid I used to wish I was anyone but me but later I realized everyone experiences persistent disappointments, many of which I was glad not to have any part of. Then I realized I actually like myself and I'm perfectly capable of going after what I want.

League Girl mentioned learning disabilities which made me think of times I've inadvertently made my own very obvious before my students but they didn't care. If I didn't have my own LDs, I might not be so understanding of my students who do. I don't envy others who don't have them, because if I could get rid of them, who knows, maybe my superpowers would be diminished. :)

I don't envy my WP friends, I'm just glad I found them.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 5:39 pm

spooky13 wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Ah yes, I am quite enviable. My almost superhuman abilities, my handsome good looks, my quick wit ...

It's a burden being this outstanding, but I carry it well.

Not to mention a snappy hat! :D

But of course ! ! I'm required to show off my good looks.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 6:45 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
SoSayWeAll wrote:
I want to serve and to help people, but I don't want to hurt them.

Good for you.

Sorry...I can't tell if you mean that literally or sarcastically. (Probably my weakest area when it comes to dealing with others, along with knowing when I should continue a line of thought, or a type of behavior, and when I've taken it too far.)

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 8:19 pm

Quote:
I honesly feel envy towards a lot of other members on this site.

I am envious of allot the younger aspies on the website. When I was a kid, there was no aspergers. I was just told by authorities that I was a no-good trouble making kid that was going to end up in jail. At 18, I had been arrested several times, spent time in dentention centers, and was taking drugs and alcohol daily. Homeless at 25. It took me 20 more years to get where some of you young ones are at now. Allot of the younger aspies seem to have a better knowledge and acceptance of who they are. I wish I had that at 18. Heck, I wish I had that now.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 10:52 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
You may envy someone for not going through complete hell in high school, but what about someone who went to primary school terrified every day?

Yeah, like me.

I learned early on that envy is a useless emotion unless you put it to good use (like trying to make your life better, as someone else said). I think of guilt in the same way: either make amends for what you did, or move on. Dwelling on stuff doesn't help anyone.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2010, 2:01 am

Yeah, I envy Asp-Z because he's going to be a billionaire :)

Last edited by CobaltBlew on 07 Jul 2010, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2010, 2:03 am

DOUBLE POST

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 8:17 am

I admit to envying everyone here too. And it's all because the learning/memory (though no one, even all the psychologists who've tested me, seems to believe I have any memory problems aside from problems with visual memory which are common for people with NVLD) I have that many other people with AS/ASD's don't have.

I just took yet another IQ test (the seventh professionally-administered one in my life) and I only scored 104 (full-scale.) That's my second-lowest score ever. My highest scores ever were on the LAST IQ test I had 4 years ago!! ! This time, I scored in the mensa level on VIQ (136) and at the borderline intellectual functioning range (79) on PIQ. My processing speed score was low too at 86.

On my last IQ test.....I got a full-scale score of 143 with a VIQ of 155 and a PIQ of 111.

So in a matter of four years.....my full-scale IQ dropped by 39 points, my VIQ dropped by 19 points and my PIQ dropped by 32 points :(

Needless to say....i've been even more depressed about all this (and much, much more) since I received my results two weeks ago than I already was.

So much for being one of those lucky people, including many Aspies here, who can "do anything they put their mind to".

I never expect to be an Einstein.........but at least it would be nice to be able comprehend math up to the college algebra level and not have to limit myself
to college/uni work and occupations which require little or no math or advanced
science.

To me....there's nothing in the universe worse than cognitive/intellectual limitations, at significant ones.

I'd trade places anyday with any of these genius aspies here even if their social deficits are a thousand times worse than mine.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 11:33 am

IdahoRose wrote:
I admit to being envious of other WP members myself. I'm envious of the females who are prettier than me, especially ones who get hit on by the male members. I'm also envious of the people whose artistic talents far surpass my own, of which there seem to be many in the Art, Music & Writing Forum.

Females who don't get hit on by males complain about not being hit on by males.

And females who get hit on by males complain about being hit on by males.

What a dilemma!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 11:35 am

Now.....who envy me? ;)

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2010, 5:59 pm

I envy the members on here who don't get bedridden by walking for more than 10 minutes.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 9:14 am

[quote="Horus"]I admit to envying everyone here too. And it's all because the learning/memory (though no one, even all the psychologists who've tested me, seems to believe I have any memory problems aside from problems with visual memory which are common for people with NVLD) I have that many other people with AS/ASD's don't have.

I just took yet another IQ test (the seventh professionally-administered one in my life) and I only scored 104 (full-scale.) That's my second-lowest score ever. My highest scores ever were on the LAST IQ test I had 4 years ago!! ! This time, I scored in the mensa level on VIQ (136) and at the borderline intellectual functioning range (79) on PIQ. My processing speed score was low too at 86.

On my last IQ test.....I got a full-scale score of 143 with a VIQ of 155 and a PIQ of 111.

So in a matter of four years.....my full-scale IQ dropped by 39 points, my VIQ dropped by 19 points and my PIQ dropped by 32 points :(

Needless to say....i've been even more depressed about all this (and much, much more) since I received my results two weeks ago than I already was.

I never expect to be an Einstein.........but at least it would be nice to be able comprehend math up to the college algebra level and not have to limit myself
to college/uni work and occupations which require little or no math or advanced
science.

To me....there's nothing in the universe worse than cognitive/intellectual limitations, at significant ones.

.[/quote

Stop feeling sorry for yourself ! !
Getting a high score on an IQ test only proves you're good at taking IQ tests!!
I had to drop out of math courses after taking Geometry. Math has always been a struggle, and doing calculus? I might as well try to learn Mandarin. Frankly, I never have the need to do any advanced at my work in IT.
Yes, it would be nice to have a photographic memory, but I just don't.
All of us have skills we can put our hands to. I truly believe that.