Do you/or did you have confidence issues?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 10:02 pm

and how do/did you cope? If I had to categorize my MAIN Psychological issue it's a lack of confidence. All those years ago while in college before (So happy I can say in college before) :-) (That's a positive LOL!) Anyway. Psychology was all I seemed to talk about and my parents would put it down as I've mention before and I'd go cry into a pillow I'd feel so bad OMG why don't they support me and still feel this way today. I don't feel good about myself or my obsession of school (Yes We're Aspies it's WHAT WE DO!) As other WP members have said (thanks BTW) but since I know it is looked at as "wrong" bad "a behavior issue" since the 2nd day of classes I've tried not to be obsessive (I have been stressed/upset over Ethics class since I didn't realize OMG it's real hard). I expected something easier (my fault I guess for expecting that. LOL!).

It's been a month since classes started as of Sept. 30th and there has been a few days including today where I thought "Who cares" about classes so I don't do ANY work. With my obsessiveness I get so caught up into my work :-( If I felt GOOD about myself I could dismiss the fact that my parents hate me wanting to study Psychology and thank OH well I want to become a Psychologist OH WELL about them!! ! but I hear see shows/hear see from others of family support and the fact that mine DON'T support me is just heart breaking. How do you build your confidence/feel better about yourself? Any tips for me? (If I keep the "Who cares" about class behavior up I WILL fail!!) but the other is wrong I don't know a middle ground. I wish my parents understood me more. Thanks.

A350XWB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2010, 11:58 pm

I feel idiotic after something bad happens to me, grade-wise, making me lose confidence and poisoning me on the domain in which I did that idiotic thing.

SaNcheNuSS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 3:56 am

Most people have confidence issues. When I walk into a room,especially if it is a group of new people, I will notice that everyone in the room is really nervous and shaky. Know that most people are unsure of themselves when you are around them. The first person that speaks up though is usually seen as a leader. It doesn't matter what you look like or any of that b.s. , if you can be the strong dominant voice then people will respect you even if you're wrong.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 9:35 am

I am very confident - if I am doing something I KNOW I can do and IF it is going the way it is supposed to.

Of course, some people are confident when they have NO idea of what they are doing.

Two things - in the classroom - forget confidence. If you have a question ASK it. I have taught groups where EVERYBODY wanted to ask a question and nobody had the guts and I could not straighten thingfs out. If need be, ask after class, go to the office - but get answers. Forget confidence - you NEED to know.

As for family support - I know the feeling. It is not going to happen. I have seen families that tried to stop their daughter doing something she was succeeding at - because they figured she couldn't. I have seen families that had no idea what their son was trying to do.

If you get support, great - but keep walking because it may not happen.

Werecrocodile
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2010, 12:55 pm

I have confidence problems and it's dealt with by being angry.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 5:34 pm

Do you have confidence issues?

Yes I bloody do! I'm ashamed of myself because I've been working voluntary for 3 years and I still don't know whether I'm coming or going with the customers, and it all comes from having a lack of confidence. No wonder I've been on job-seekers for almost 2 years! (Even though I AM actively looking for work - before anyone criticises and calls me ''stupid and lazy''!).

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 5:54 pm

I'm great at acting confident, but I really haven't any confidence in anything other than my instrumental ability and intelligence.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 11:59 pm

I most definitely have confidence issues. I feel ashamed over the mistakes I make, that I haven't achieved as much as other peoples that I know.

Also I am easily upset by those people whose method of feeling better about themselves is to make others feel worse about themselves.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 4:49 am

yeah, im confident about some things. like keeping my poker face at the ready, acting confident, and quoting borat.