Unknown feelings of dread.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 5:50 pm

Lately for about a week I have been feeling worried about something and I don't know what it is.

It feels like you're afraid of something thats gonna happen but you have no ideal what it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:11 pm

Could it be anxiety? Perhaps a calming herbal tea or tincure may help?

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 9:00 am

An undefined feeling of impending doom is associated with both anxiety and depression. I've experienced it myself from time to time over the years. I'm not sure I can offer the best of advice--I mostly suffered through it until it passed. But it has always passed.

If I could offer any advice, though, it would be to try to ascertain the route of it and examine that. Perhaps an understanding of the source can help you to overcome the problem. For me it was more anxiety than depression. Do you experience a lot of anxiety? What situations exacerbate this? Next time you feel this unknown dread, try to consider what happened just before it started, what you were experiencing or thinking, and then what lead to those things as well. It is not a quick-fix by any means (in that regard, a distraction such as company, a movie, or engaging in a special interest might be best--but this will only be a temporary solution), but problems such as these are rarely fixed quickly and easily. At any rate, even if searching for the source of the problem does not end with you being able to eradicate it, the knowledge should be able to help you to anticipate and avoid the problem in the future.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Sep 2010, 7:00 pm

Ebonwinter wrote:
Lately for about a week I have been feeling worried about something and I don't know what it is.

It feels like you're afraid of something thats gonna happen but you have no ideal what it is.

I have had this happen to me many times. I call it anxiety (with unknown reasons/causes).

How do I deal with it? Well, sometimes I play several rounds of Solitaire on my computer until I get sleepy, then I take a nap. I have also taken the time to work with an interest like writing, music, etc. Sometimes a change of scenery helps---like a walk around the house or go to the store. Many times, the anxiety sticks around awhile. Putting a favorite movie in the DVD player (preferably a relaxing one) can help. I believe it should be something that causes relaxation.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 8:44 pm

I've been watching a lot of nuclear holocaust films lately so this kind of thing is nightly for me.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 9:45 am

Thank you for all your responses.

It would greatly help if I knew why I'm feeling like this or how to distract myself long enough to forget about it for a while.

I'm trying to relax by listening to music or by petting my cat which normally works.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 10:59 am

You can also take a walk or work on a hobby that really takes your concentration. I agree- that is anxiety 100%! If you can't find relief with natural things like exercise and distractions or herbal teas (which can help, I agree!) do tell the doc because too much of that can lead to other health problems. I think there are meds you can take just when the anxiety hits and not all the time, but I am not sure- I have never taken any anxiety meds.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 11:25 am

I'm thinking about setting up an appointment with my doctor to see about this.

I hope I don't have to go back on medication due to I've been doing well without them for about a year. Until I see a doctor I'm just gonna try to calm down for a while or try to distract myself.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 11:29 am

Something's changing in your life - either under the radar right now or in the shape of your sense of your own future. Is someone leaving in your life? Did a major plan change shape or take on a more doubtful nature? Is something happening at work that's given you a sense that there's a dark cloud over potential employment due to economic issues?

Trepidations can be caused a lot of different ways. Either way though, like in a dream state, your subconscious is trying to crunch all the numbers, work the scenarios, and if your subconscious psyche is stressed by things that you've chosen to momentarily put out of mind - you'll still feel it in ways like that. My advice - just try to identify it so that it stops being an unknown, that will at least help you take a good deal of the discomfort out, although realistically its a feeling that you're likely having for good reason so its doubtful that it will completely go away.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 11:39 am

Nothing is changing that I know of.

The only kind of thing that I can think of that is close to that is my grandfather was a little bit sick earlier this week but it was only a sinus infection and he is feeling much better.

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2010, 8:18 pm

Ebonwinter wrote:

I feel this way often. Ive tried to trace the causes of my anxiety, but the only thing I can come up with is Time. Simply thinking about an upcoming event (anything at all) will make me feel uneasy. Its like I cant feel relaxed unless time itself stops moving.

The most useful ways for me to deal with it are controlling my breathing (slow & deep), fresh air, and bright, diffused light.