Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,619

07 Feb 2011, 1:24 pm

We're virus growing on the surface of the earth which is only just beginning to realise it's potent malignancy.



utherdoul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 155

08 Feb 2011, 2:59 pm

jamieboy wrote:
We're virus growing on the surface of the earth which is only just beginning to realise it's potent malignancy.


If you feel your virus either mutate into something less offensive or well ... you know where the proverbial door is. Humanity for all its flaws and evils is something beautiful and if its fleeting well so is life or existence. I know this is the haven and we're supposed to say something supportive but what the devil should I say to that? That we should perish and let entropy claim our great works? Sentience I think is inevitable on a world with sufficently complex life. Some other race that might replace us could be better but theres an equal chance they could be worse.



emlion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,641

08 Feb 2011, 3:01 pm

go humanity!



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,657
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

08 Feb 2011, 3:10 pm

I actually kind of agree.....Though unlike virus's its a choice, we don't have to continue going that route, however there is little chance things will change. I mean whats so great about all our technology/knowledge if we don't use it to its full potential. I mean I am not a hardcore environmental freak(most of them are hypocrites anyways) but we have the technology to have electricity from completly safe/natural sources and what happens? oil companies can pay people off not to put that technology to use. That is just one example, we have the ability to stop behaving like virus's and yet as a whole we don't.



utherdoul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 155

08 Feb 2011, 3:24 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I actually kind of agree.....Though unlike virus's its a choice, we don't have to continue going that route, however there is little chance things will change. I mean whats so great about all our technology/knowledge if we don't use it to its full potential. I mean I am not a hardcore environmental freak(most of them are hypocrites anyways) but we have the technology to have electricity from completly safe/natural sources and what happens? oil companies can pay people off not to put that technology to use. That is just one example, we have the ability to stop behaving like virus's and yet as a whole we don't.


The problem with most renewable technologies is that at this point they aren't reliable enough. A power source needs to be running 24/7/365 and providing a consistent amount of energy without flare ups or random die downs. A true ecologist ala larry niven would be encouraging massive building of nuclear power plants to provide large amounts of reasonably clean energy. With that power at our disposal we could build huge desalination plants to green the deserts of the world, provide boiled clean drinking water to billions, to convert shale into gasoline in huge quantities, or hell give everyone an electric car without brownouts and eventually to help us build satellites to harness and focus solar energy outside of the atmospheric veil to be beamed to Earth. Eventually build automated mines on near earth asteroids to provide sustainable and ecologically friendly sources of raw materials without ripping them out of Earth.

Are there downfalls to nuclear power of course. The waste isn't easy to dispose of and if they are mismanaged the consequences can be horrific. Consider though burning coal, and oil and everything else in aggregate is far worse than a little radiation. And the fact that solar panels take up huge quantities of land and require expensive and dangerous chemicals to clean. Wind mills need to have a gas or oil backup when the wind stops. Not to mention the fact that uranium is abundant and with the proper time and facilities it can be extracted from sea water. Be a true ecologist. If everyone was rich in energy and materials pollution would be far less.



jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,619

08 Feb 2011, 3:48 pm

utherdoul wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
We're virus growing on the surface of the earth which is only just beginning to realise it's potent malignancy.


If you feel your virus either mutate into something less offensive or well ... you know where the proverbial door is. Humanity for all its flaws and evils is something beautiful and if its fleeting well so is life or existence. I know this is the haven and we're supposed to say something supportive but what the devil should I say to that? That we should perish and let entropy claim our great works? Sentience I think is inevitable on a world with sufficently complex life. Some other race that might replace us could be better but theres an equal chance they could be worse.


Are you encouraging me to take my own life because you dont agree with my opinion?



Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Age: 171
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,521
Location: The Creedon Republic

08 Feb 2011, 3:50 pm

jamieboy wrote:
utherdoul wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
We're virus growing on the surface of the earth which is only just beginning to realise it's potent malignancy.


If you feel your virus either mutate into something less offensive or well ... you know where the proverbial door is. Humanity for all its flaws and evils is something beautiful and if its fleeting well so is life or existence. I know this is the haven and we're supposed to say something supportive but what the devil should I say to that? That we should perish and let entropy claim our great works? Sentience I think is inevitable on a world with sufficently complex life. Some other race that might replace us could be better but theres an equal chance they could be worse.


Are you encouraging me to take my own life because you dont agree with my opinion?


Why don't you go outside and get some fresh air? Fresh air might do you some good.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,657
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

08 Feb 2011, 3:59 pm

utherdoul wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I actually kind of agree.....Though unlike virus's its a choice, we don't have to continue going that route, however there is little chance things will change. I mean whats so great about all our technology/knowledge if we don't use it to its full potential. I mean I am not a hardcore environmental freak(most of them are hypocrites anyways) but we have the technology to have electricity from completly safe/natural sources and what happens? oil companies can pay people off not to put that technology to use. That is just one example, we have the ability to stop behaving like virus's and yet as a whole we don't.


The problem with most renewable technologies is that at this point they aren't reliable enough. A power source needs to be running 24/7/365 and providing a consistent amount of energy without flare ups or random die downs. A true ecologist ala larry niven would be encouraging massive building of nuclear power plants to provide large amounts of reasonably clean energy. With that power at our disposal we could build huge desalination plants to green the deserts of the world, provide boiled clean drinking water to billions, to convert shale into gasoline in huge quantities, or hell give everyone an electric car without brownouts and eventually to help us build satellites to harness and focus solar energy outside of the atmospheric veil to be beamed to Earth. Eventually build automated mines on near earth asteroids to provide sustainable and ecologically friendly sources of raw materials without ripping them out of Earth.

Are there downfalls to nuclear power of course. The waste isn't easy to dispose of and if they are mismanaged the consequences can be horrific. Consider though burning coal, and oil and everything else in aggregate is far worse than a little radiation. And the fact that solar panels take up huge quantities of land and require expensive and dangerous chemicals to clean. Wind mills need to have a gas or oil backup when the wind stops. Not to mention the fact that uranium is abundant and with the proper time and facilities it can be extracted from sea water. Be a true ecologist. If everyone was rich in energy and materials pollution would be far less.


I am aware of all that, but still we would be farther along if oil companies and such could not pay people off to continue relying on the same resources. I know there are some flaws still at this point, but what choices do we have continue improving solar panals, wind mills ect? or keep going down the same destructive path. I would think if there are alternatives out there that are less damaging people would want to work on making those alternatives work...but it seems no ones really motivated to do that.



jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,619

08 Feb 2011, 4:11 pm

Ackman wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
utherdoul wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
We're virus growing on the surface of the earth which is only just beginning to realise it's potent malignancy.


If you feel your virus either mutate into something less offensive or well ... you know where the proverbial door is. Humanity for all its flaws and evils is something beautiful and if its fleeting well so is life or existence. I know this is the haven and we're supposed to say something supportive but what the devil should I say to that? That we should perish and let entropy claim our great works? Sentience I think is inevitable on a world with sufficently complex life. Some other race that might replace us could be better but theres an equal chance they could be worse.


Are you encouraging me to take my own life because you dont agree with my opinion?


Why don't you go outside and get some fresh air? Fresh air might do you some good.


I went out today a couple of times. I still dont see how a species responsible for Auchtwitz and countless other atrocites is so worthy of praise. I expect the burden of guilt will be all be laden upon me as usual though. "hey buddy. Dont you know that you as an indivdual are responsible for all your own choices..." etc etc ad infinitum

It's all as tiresome as drawing a breath.



emlion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,641

08 Feb 2011, 4:13 pm

what about all the good things people have done?
do you just forget about them?



jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,619

08 Feb 2011, 4:23 pm

The good things people have done in the past arent going to save the disabled people who are going to have to kill themselves because this government is cutting their benefits so much that they cant even afford to heat their homes. People are consumed by nastiness and selfishness and they dont give a f**k. Too thick to even begin to question what they're told. I'd rather the earth was ruled by cockroaches.



emlion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,641

08 Feb 2011, 4:25 pm

:roll: humanity isn't that bad.
there are some right scumbags around but there are also some people who are amazing and would do anything to help people.
with that attitude it's no surprise you see everthing so horribly.
just enjoy your life the best you can, it's the only one you'll ever have.
if you spend it as a hate filled existance you're just wasting air.



Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,181
Location: Montreal

08 Feb 2011, 4:27 pm

I don't think I'm a virus. I'm not microscopic and geometrical in shape, and while I do insert myself into (exclusively Human Female) organisms and thereby deposit my DNA I don't hijack them for reproducing clones of myself by causing their cell membrane to burst


_________________
Opportunities multiply as they are seized. -Sun Tzu
Nature creates few men brave, industry and training makes many -Machiavelli
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do


jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,619

08 Feb 2011, 4:30 pm

just enjoy your life! haha yeah thats it lets all be hedonists that'll solve the worlds problems!

It's not an attitude . It's a FACT that people will die and it's FACT thats no one gives a s**t. I wont be made to feel bad for caring or getting angry about it either or depressed about it.



emlion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,641

08 Feb 2011, 4:32 pm

yep everyone dies. so enjoy it while you can.

if no-one 'gives a s**t' why should you?
be as selfish as you think the rest of the world is.

who wants you to feel bad?
i'm just voicing my opinion too.

i still think life is far too short to get dragged down for things which you can't change.



jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,619

08 Feb 2011, 4:47 pm

Just got to be kinder to myself i guess. My anger doesnt achieve anything anyway. It just eats away at me and makes me more and more depressed. It's hard when you feel like c**** are picking on you though just to forget about it. :?