What's your opinion on medical marijuana?

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 1:38 pm

Medical marijuana should be more widely used.
Marijuana in general should possibly be legalised.

As far as drugs go marijuana is less harmful than most other drugs, it seems any issues in terms of effect on mental health came from misuse or new strains of marijuana and so legalising the drug would help by making it more standardised with fewer super-strong and potentially harmful strains so fewer risks of mental health issues - I think the mental health risks are over-exaggerated, too much research is biased and thus why it remains illegal. Legalising it would cut significant funding from major criminal gangs so help prevent some more serious crimes like people trafficking, bring more money into the country, and help prevent kids getting into harder drugs because the fact is that marijuana is a gateway drug...not through fault of the drug itself, but the morons who sell it.

However look at Amsterdam, their attitude towards the drug is very relaxed, where as if it was made legal here in the UK we would be adding to issues we already have with legal drugs; binge drinking being a classic example - those who use marijuana here often will miss work or do a half-arsed job because they're too stoned to concentrate, I would worry if it was legalised we'd see a lot more of this. English folk suck when it comes to attitude to work and recreational drugs. I would also worry more would use it and suffer memory loss, which is a real problem with the drug that's not linked purely with stronger strains. But a very important point changed my mind on that - if you're caught with marijuana, even for personal use, there is a potential of a criminal record...something that can screw-up your life and the lives of your family. That is the major reason for my supporting legalising marijuana.

I have friends who use marijuana for crippling back pain and for mental health problems like anxiety and depression - there are real benefits of this drug, here medical marijuana isn't doled out like it seems to be in some parts of the US, it should be! It's really quite tragic that there are so many people who are genuinely helped by this drug, who will go to the effort of growing their own to ensure safety and prevent funding criminals, but they can have their whole lives ruined if caught...all they're trying to do is make their life easier.

Personally I'm not a huge fan, at least not when around other people - it doesn't help my anxiety as I just end up getting anxious about seeming stupidly stoned in front of others, lol - but if it was legal or if I could get it from my doctor you bet your life I would use it at home on my own to help with my anxiety and mood swings (I don't want to say depression as I don't think I suffer from depression, so lets say 'occasional feelings of soul-destroying sadness). I really don't understand why it is not at least more widely available for people who get genuine medical benefits - even if it is a placebo, if these people are willing to break the law to use then obviously they do believe it to be a real benefit to them - if just restricted to legal it would also mean these peoples use could be monitored.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 1:59 pm

Simonono wrote:
For men wanting to be prescribed medicinal marijuana...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3FFoYLGo7c[/youtube]

haha =P

I never had a medical license but I did try and use it in a medical sort of way.
It worked for awhile but I personally had to have a specific type or else it was a hindrance not a help.
(sativa=good, indica=hate)

I am for medical marajuana but I believe it is over used where it is legal to prescribe.

You could stub your toe and go into one of those "doctors" and they'd say ya...medical marajuana.

Bottom line though it is not common I think some of the weed that is sold illegaly is not properly dried, who knows what the actual strand is usually (sometimes you get something consistant), and sometimes there is pestisicides or other harmful chemicals in it.

Since so many people are smoking weed anyways I think it should be legal and in this way made safer so you know what you're getting and it's been processed properly. I don't know why the type of weed made a big difference for me but the haze's and the sour type of weeds usually did the trick. Good for anxiety, I would smoke a joint every morning before school and I did great that quarter. (3.6gpa in college) Most people smoking will take what ever is going around though and it's all fine to them- weed is weed, but not for me. Also I started having chest pains, and am still having chest pains so I cannot smoke. Not saying this is from the weed, but it is adgitated by it.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 12:54 am

No pot head has ever started a fight with me when walking on the sidewalk but at least five drunks have started fights with me for just walking past them. Its the only thing I regret about walking everywhere.

The only way I can feel relaxed around people is when I am high on marijuana. It causes me not to have violent thoughts about people who are messing with me and not to mention it makes me sleep like a baby. The only good nights sleep I ever had was when I was in basic training and when I was baked.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

16 Apr 2011, 11:23 pm

I think that a substantial percentage of diagnosed schizophrenics are thought to be such because of frequent marijuana use-
even if you stop, some people's brains keep generating perceptions absent of external stimuli.

I also think you're risking respiratory illness of several types when you inhale organic substances into your lungs.

I really have no opinion on it's legality.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 12:07 am

Bethie wrote:
I think that a substantial percentage of diagnosed schizophrenics are thought to be such because of frequent marijuana use-
even if you stop, some people's brains keep generating perceptions absent of external stimuli.

I also think you're risking respiratory illness of several types when you inhale organic substances into your lungs.

I really have no opinion on it's legality.

i agree that it can cause schizophrenia or atleast agitate or begin an otherwise dormant schizo state that can last months or for some longer.

For most that will not occur, and likely not with minor use but it is a possibility.

svend_sved
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2011, 5:43 am

Everything can be abused with the right (wrong) mind. Booze, pot, cocaine, shopping, sex, anything that feels pleasant really. Pot is a substance that will leave you alone if you want it to. Theres a lot of stuff thats harder to get away from.

Not that i'd smoke it myself. tried it once and decided it wasnt for me. But if it works for you, use it :D

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:05 am

I'm heavily against it, however I think it should be legalized to better treat severe addicts and kill the street market.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:55 am

It's only a short term relief, it won't help you in the long run and could just generate further problems.

Medical marijuana is meant for patients with glaucoma to slow the effects of going blind, I think for some cancer patients as well.

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2011, 10:18 am

If you want to do it, I say fine. It never worked for me. It has provided a lot of relief for people who can't find it any other way.

From a political standpoint, the societal damage caused by it being illegal-- the organized crime, the wasted law enforcement, and to a lesser extent, the tread on personal liberties-- is far greater than that which would exist if it were legalized or decriminialized.

Connecticut is finally wising up, it looks like we're going to decriminalize it real soon.

****************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 12:09 pm

Bethie wrote:

I disagree with that, people who usually suffer schizophrenia or other mental related illness's will already have a Chinese in their armour as part of their genetic make-up before any sort of substance abuse. Attempting to blame it on weed, alcohol or other drugs is too easy and a bit of a cop-out in my opinion.

There are more reasons for why it should be legal then illegal and it certainly causes less problems then what alcohol abuse does. 6 million people in the UK are regular ganja smokers, that's 3 of every 29 members of the British population. I'm all for it being de-criminalised, it could be taxed, possibly help reduce binge-drinking (if people choose to get stoned instead) and the problems that come with that, and it would be very beneficial to sufferers of multiple-sclirosis and other pain related diseases.

Those who are completely against it without any real knowledge of the drug itself, should probably climb off their high horses, especially if they have some sort of vice of their own.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 12:11 pm

I think someone should by me a sackful so I can do extensive testing, then I can give a fully informed opinion.

KeyMaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2011, 12:32 pm

Moog wrote:
I think someone should by me a sackful so I can do extensive testing, then I can give a fully informed opinion.

Just because you got a sackful doesn't mean...

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 12:48 pm

:lol:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 1:01 pm

KeyMaker wrote:
Moog wrote:

Just because you got a sackful doesn't mean...

What are those men doing to those poor elephants??? 8O

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 1:04 pm

I'm glad Medical MJ is legal here in California.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 1:11 pm

Daemonic-Jackal wrote:
Bethie wrote:

I disagree with that, people who usually suffer schizophrenia or other mental related illness's will already have a Chinese in their armour as part of their genetic make-up before any sort of substance abuse. Attempting to blame it on weed, alcohol or other drugs is too easy and a bit of a cop-out in my opinion.

There are more reasons for why it should be legal then illegal and it certainly causes less problems then what alcohol abuse does. 6 million people in the UK are regular ganja smokers, that's 3 of every 29 members of the British population. I'm all for it being de-criminalised, it could be taxed, possibly help reduce binge-drinking (if people choose to get stoned instead) and the problems that come with that, and it would be very beneficial to sufferers of multiple-sclirosis and other pain related diseases.

Those who are completely against it without any real knowledge of the drug itself, should probably climb off their high horses, especially if they have some sort of vice of their own.

possibly true about the schizo but most people who are predisposed to becoming schizo will not know they are at risk .