why do NTs think everything revolves around them?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kayef
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2010, 3:12 pm

I have experienced this so many times...

I am friendly enough. I can conversate and make small talk when not seriously stressed. Right now I am having major family drama that is causing insomnia, depression, and me to have to conserve my energy. I can only deal with so much socializing when I have to find my currently homeless teenage sister a safe place to live. I cannot deal with people when my main focus is on contacting social services and different family orgs to look for a way to help her from a different time zone. The result is that I have not been a happy person obviously.

If I saw someone with my particular affliction (and some people do know what is happening), I would be more understanding not think that I am being mean or a b***h or I don't want to socialize. It's all I can do everyday to wake up and come to class without crying all day. My family is really dys-fucked-tional and problems are ongoing. I feel I can never be at peace which is why the deep depression.

Anyone experience that with people who are supposed to have empathy?

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 5:08 pm

NTs only care about who they want to care about and any limits of compassion and understanding do not fall outside of their superficious circle.

I just play at their game and be just as selfish as they are...and more if I can.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 6:01 pm

Got to say some of the most selfish people i've ever met are on the spectrum.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 6:07 pm

^^

And a friend of mine is solid proof of that.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jul 2010, 6:09 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
NTs only care about who they want to care about and any limits of compassion and understanding do not fall outside of their superficious circle.

I just play at their game and be just as selfish as they are...and more if I can.

Actually, I can say that about myself, substituting the word superficious ( I think you meant superficial?) for narrow focused interests.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 6:12 pm

I just noticed something interesting - the symptoms of AS and depression coincide somewhat. When we're stressed, we withdraw to conserve our social energy. Could be important.

But they do not have me

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 6:40 pm

kayef wrote:
If I saw someone with my particular affliction (and some people do know what is happening), I would be more understanding not think that I am being mean or a b***h or I don't want to socialize. It's all I can do everyday to wake up and come to class without crying all day. My family is really dys-f****-tional and problems are ongoing. I feel I can never be at peace which is why the deep depression.

Anyone experience that with people who are supposed to have empathy?

omygosh yes

im sometimes shocked at how selfcentered people can be. genuinely shocked. it seems like people are only really concerned about others to the extent that it affects themselves or their own life. there arent many understanding people around and thats kinda sad. if i found one id keep them forever

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 7:53 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
I agree, most of the NT's i know can't even compare with some of the self-centered prattle i've heard from people on the spectrum.
Then again, some of the most un-selfish people i've ever met were on the spectrum too.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 11:44 pm

It's because, they only want to care about the things, that only they can relate to.

charade

12 Jul 2010, 11:45 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

+1

kayef

13 Jul 2010, 3:09 am

OK... Now I feel like a self-centered prattler.

I don't have experience with people with AS so I only know NT "selfishness".

I guess I was writing about being misunderstood which happens to those with AS correct?

I look stressed and uptight and if I saw people like myself (which I do because we are all stressed at this point) I think "there's someone who seems stressed because we have so many exams this week" or must be having some personal issues, not "oh look at that b**** who refuses to smile". I think it would be easier if I seemed vulnerable. Seems like those who cry and show weakness are given sympathy. Maybe people do not know how to take me since I deal with my issues pretty stoically. With my family there is always something so I tend not to cry about everything they do or I'd become dehydrated, but it really bothers me nonetheless.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 3:54 am

I often find myself wondering why NTs don't use more of that empathy they're supposed to be dripping with :roll:

BTW, I'm often called selfish, but that's just because NTs read me wrong.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 9:36 am

It's because NTs are the majority, & the majority is always right. Therefore, if you are the minority (AS or whatever), you will always be wrong!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Catatab_Tabimount
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jul 2010, 4:58 pm

Read the book The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. Only caring about your own kind is a universal thing amongst species and groups, to make sure yours is the one that survives.

There are many aspies who also think the world revolves around them. Humanity thinks the world revolves around it. All animals only care about their kind as well as other animals that affect their kind.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:19 pm

The world is built for NTs. This is why I wish I was NT.

I go with the saying, ''if you can't them, join them''. I can't win in an NT world, so I just follow the trend. If I act weird, I will lose all respect.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 4:07 pm

Actually there are aspies out there that expect things to evolve around them.

Humans are selfish creatures.