My Mother's A Cheapskate

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 9:39 pm

Which means now I'm stuck with a stupid worthless agitation/top loading washer I can't f*****g use all because she couldn't spring for the extra couple hundred bucks to get a f*****g set of used front loaders.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 9:50 pm

How old are you? How do you know she has the money for a more expensive washer? What exactly is wrong with a top-loader?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 9:52 pm

LostInBed wrote:
Which means now I'm stuck with a stupid worthless agitation/top loading washer I can't f***ing use all because she couldn't spring for the extra couple hundred bucks to get a f***ing set of used front loaders.

Why are you expecting her to buy your washer? Just curious...I don't think my parents would buy appliances for me either. If you have no money, maybe you can look into the Salvation Army or something. Or post a request for a cheap one on a website like kijiji.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 10:11 pm

I've always used top loaders. I've never had a problem with them. To be honest some of the new front loaders don't work very well because they put more effort into being "eco friendly" than washing clothes.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 10:30 pm

We use a top loader....it works just fine. Posts like these amaze me. They also help me understand why many people think that AS is "just an excuse to act like a spoiled brat". If, when I move out, my mom goes out and buys me a washing machine, I will just thank her. I will be happy that I didn't have to go out and look for and choose one myself at Lowe's or some other crowded place. How do you even know that she has the money to buy you an expensive one? And even if she DOES, why SHOULD she? Is it not enough that she thought enough of you to buy you one at all??

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 10:51 pm

Wow.

to his Interest."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 12:50 am

What's wrong with a top loader? How come you can't use it? I have one as well and it works fine. It's brand new.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2011, 3:16 am

Wow.

My mom never bought me a washer, but she did give me a vacuum cleaner which was spare when she moved house. When I was too little to reach the top of the washer without standing on a stool I used to help with the washing, until the day I dropped a knife into a rotating spin dryer - the spring which opened the lid had broken so you had to carefully prise it open, which would operate a microswitch stopping the motor. The knife ended up in the ceiling and from then on the machine had to be unplugged and allowed to stop before opening.

I know an American who thinks that front loading washers are a horrible complex European invention, with far too many buttons and settings.

Is it possible that LostInBed has a disability making it difficult to use a top loading machine? Or is just very short? :)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 6:48 am

blackcat wrote:
We use a top loader....it works just fine. Posts like these amaze me. They also help me understand why many people think that AS is "just an excuse to act like a spoiled brat". If, when I move out, my mom goes out and buys me a washing machine, I will just thank her. I will be happy that I didn't have to go out and look for and choose one myself at Lowe's or some other crowded place. How do you even know that she has the money to buy you an expensive one? And even if she DOES, why SHOULD she? Is it not enough that she thought enough of you to buy you one at all??

Pretty much everything you said there! We lived on a pittance, got all of our things from charity shops or as hand me downs, but no matter how hard times got, we were always thankful for what we did have. I appreciate everything that is given to me from my Mum because I know she can't afford much. Her teaching me to appreciate very little has made me more happy in life and now that I am living on benefits, I too am being frugal with my spending. Maybe you should move to the UK where we don't have laundry rooms let alone fancy 'top loading' washing machines!

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2011, 7:25 am

We've got to start an American vs European washing machine flamewar... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 8:38 am

oddone wrote:
We've got to start an American vs European washing machine flamewar... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

lol, I think America would win. UK washing machines suck!

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2011, 9:27 am

No, vacuum cleaners suck. Washing machines wash! :D

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 11:07 am

oddone wrote:
No, vacuum cleaners suck. Washing machines wash! :D

Okay, you caught me there!