What do YOU do on your birthday?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2006, 2:42 pm

me? ... avoid people if I can, switch my phone to divert all calls to voicemail, stay at home, try and pretend its not a special day.

It doesn't feel like a special day, but lots of people want to make a fuss about it/you ...
and then (their gifts) they are angry the next time you see them because you ignored them on your birthday.

:!:

Last edited by Davidufo on 27 Sep 2006, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 2:46 pm

I hate birthdays. Last year, I let people wish me a happy birthday. Now, I have a blade in my backpack. There will be one warning. Most pointless celebration since New Years.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 2:51 pm

I'm glad if I'll be left alone on my birthday.

'Tis munny in my purse.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 3:30 pm

We usually spend the day going out doing something. This year we went over to West Yorkshire but it was spoiled by the behaviour of certain members of the family. I always have a birthday meal at a restaurant, though - steak, potatoes and all the trimmings!

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 3:42 pm

I normally feel sorry for myself because no-one sends me a card or a text message or an e-mail or anything, and then I feel really worthless and wonder why I don't have many friends.

And then, eventually, normally by about tea-time, I realise that it's because I haven't actually bothered to tell anyone that it's my birthday, because I hate making phone calls and I'm particularly bad at saying anything that seems even remotely self-centered, and I haven't organised a party or anything because I don't have time to organise one, plus my flat is a tip because I don't have any motivation to tidy it up.

I also remember all of the times throughout the year when I've forgotten the birthdays of others, through being too tired, too busy, too distracted or too obsessive over something. And I equate how that must have felt for my friends at the time with how I feel right now, and I feel guilty.

So basically, each year I conclude that I'm a very sad man with no-one to blame but myself.

Eeyore is my role model, sometimes.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 3:55 pm

Eeeyore is a sympathetic chap, though...in a way. :wink:

'Tis munny in my purse.

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2006, 4:13 pm

I don't know what to do, I can't 'win'

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 4:20 pm

I have a funny relationship with children's books and TV programmes and so forth. I really love a lot of them but for some reason they make me cry.

Hartfield is very close to me - the inspiration for the Winnie the Pooh books came from the Hartfield area of Ashdown Forest - and I can't go into the shop there (which I love) without bursting into tears. I find this very confusing.

Eeyore is wonderful.

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2006, 4:48 pm

Hey, that's great :)

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 5:04 pm

"I've got a sort of idea," said Pooh at last,
"but I don't suppose it's a very good one."
"I don't suppose it is either," said Eeyore.

That's the solution, then. Next birthday, get some food in which you really like, put some decent music on the stereo, climb back into bed and read the complete set of Winnie the Pooh books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Winnie-Pooh-Com ... F8&s=books

If the link doesn't work for any reason, just search under Winnie the Pooh or A.A. Milne.

If anyone complains, read them this:

"Why, what's the matter?"
"Nothing, Pooh Bear, nothing. We can't all, and some of us don't. That's all there is to it...
I'm not complaining, but There It Is."

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 5:24 pm

When my mother was still alive, she died when I was 24, we would go out to dinner then to see a movie. I miss that.

For a lot of years I did not do anything, but the last two years I've gone out with my two friends to a nice restaurant. They give me a gift each and I feel speciel. :D

27 Sep 2006, 5:46 pm

I get cake and presents on my b-day. On my last b-day Dad took me out to dinner and I invited my whole family and their girlfirends. I wanted my boyfriend to come too but sadly he forgot and if I was so important t him, he wou;dn't have forgotton. Sure he's told me he isn't good at remembering anaversaries and birthdays but if they are important to him he will remember. He just remembers what he thinks is important and when he showed me I wasn't very important to him, I kicked him out of my home and broke up with him the next day. There were other porblems in our relationship too so I did not kick him out for that b-day incident only.

When i turned 19 two years ago, my parents took me up to Canada to the Edmonton Mall. We left a few days before my b-day. We also went to Banth and that's where I turned 19. I didn't get any presents. Only present I got was the trip and this key chain thing from my Dad. And of course I had this one slice of cake at the restaurant we ate at in banth.

So that's what I do on my b day is eating my birthday cake and opening my presents. I do normal things I would normally do on any day like watching TV and being on the cmputer.

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 6:00 pm

I enjoyed most of my birthday this year! Went to London. I did not enjoy the shopping part, I get pretty stressed!!

I am not to good at showing my appreciation, for the gifts I receive. I just don't know what to say or do! :?

Also I share my birthday with my twin, its nice but I start to think 'weird' as if everyone is more interested in her & not me, 'the quiet one' . Its hard having to share a Birthday. :roll:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 6:37 pm

I take the day off.

- Emerson

Artfulia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2006, 8:17 pm

I usually spend the day with my immediate family; go out to eat, play games, and maybe watch a movie with my brothers.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 10:32 pm

My birthday only comes round every few decades. It can't come any more often than that, or else the world would go broke from all the partying. My last birthday was May 7, 1945. A lot of people think the party that day was to celebrate the defeat of the Nazis. They're wrong.