Nobody really has a clue what they are doing

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

I'm beginning to suspect something about life.
Nobody really knows what the f'k they are doing. We are all just kinda fumbling through life, slapping things together, giving it our best guess, hoping that will pass.

Yeah, sure, some of us may SOUND like we know what we are doing, but no, those are just the smooth talkers.

Things come with a nice sales pitch, but when you get it home and unwrap it, something is always not quite what you expected.
Take for example all this fancy 21st century technology we have... buggy as hell.
Or all the magical answers politicians seem to have while on the campaign trail, yet never materialize.
Or that person you are envious of their appearance of success, but if you really get to know them you learn that they are just as f'kd up as you are.

The world is an imperfect palace, very imperfect.
And we are all a bunch of very imperfect beings scrambling to maintain an illusion of legitimacy and competence.

Yet mankind goes on, pretending to have their sh*t together.

(NOTE: if it weren't for spell check this post would be unreadable. I can't type or spell worth a damn)

Diagnosed in 2005

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:46 pm

moved from Random Discussion to The Haven

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 9:58 pm

Well, yeah. What else would you have people do; give up and sit down and cry about how they haven't got it all perfectly figured out?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 10:13 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Well, yeah. What else would you have people do; give up and sit down and cry about how they haven't got it all perfectly figured out?

I knew someone would have some sort of a 'well, yeah" response to this. (typical internet crap)

It's Just that everyone pretends to have their sh*t together when you know that it's all BS.

Every business proclaims themselves to be "the best".
Every person sending in a resume claims to be the best candidate for the job.

OF freakin course nobody is gonna say otherwise.

But it's all so fake!

How does someone delude themselves into believing that they are "the best" when they know damn well they are not.

I guess that's the part I don't understand. lying and claiming that I am better than I actually am so that I will be the one considered for a job, or that people will buy my product. I know that if I am completely honest and say that I can't say for sure that if I'm the "best" I won't get that job, and I won't sell a thing.

The whole world is based on creating an illusion that whatever it is you are pushing on someone is better than it actually is.
It's so dishonest to me.

I wish I was a better liar.
I wish I could convince myself to believe those lies.

Diagnosed in 2005

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 10:33 pm

Thanks for calling my reply crap. :)

I don't particularly dislike the dishonesty either, especially since being honest creates problems when everyone assumes that one will be dishonest, hence my question: what's your solution? How would you structure/run things differently?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:02 pm

"reality" is a grand illusion yet it will not go away when you ignore it. :x the only real thing in this life on earth [aside from suffering and evil], is the golden rule.

Guybrush_Threepwood
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:06 pm

I was kinda relieved when I discovered this truth. Yeah, it might catch up with me during a major operation or while traveling internationally...but for the most part I just blend in and care less...you may choose what to care most about and but your energies into furthering that cause...but please don't draw attention to the obvious acts of incompetence taking place around you...the folk responsible don't take too kindly to that ;)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:19 pm

pete1061 wrote:
Yet mankind goes on, pretending to have their sh*t together.

Humankind...unless only men are pretending to have their s**t together.

Guybrush_Threepwood
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:23 pm

Haha...ROFLSMP...

Oh god...

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:38 pm

So what do you have against lies?

At least they are trying, if not to be better, at least they show shame for what they are and lie about it.

We have our standards, they are low, but we have them. Twenty years of schoolin and they put you on the day shift, and then it takes years to train you to be profitable as a worker. Most can not make that grade.

People have the idea that they are something, but want someone one else to use it, pay it, and then they complain.

I like machines, they were designed to do something useful, can be owned, and can be repaired and upgraded. Humans start running down after a dozen years and just live in a long decline.

"All humans are vastly inferior to robots." Bender

Out of Billions and Billions that have lived perhaps a thousand would make a list of well known, and most of them were mass murders.

It is better they just mill about and make ape noises about things they do not understand,

When they think they know what they are doing, it leads to burning millions at the stake for being witches, long religious wars, genocide, slavery, and cannibalism.

TV and Sports keeps them mindless and mostly harmless.

So what about them Trailblazers? The ones that had their slaves backpack supplies down a trail of genocide to extirminate the prior owners. For Freedom.

Seattle worships false gods, the Devil in fact, and practice Black Magic, They are stealing your Freedom, and something must be done, before they come and make you all their slaves, and sell you to China.

You must act in the image of the true god, march north as one, and leave nothing but bloodstained earth and charred stakes marking your path to glory!

Act Now! Or you will be making iphones and eating rice, and they will steal your bicycles!

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 9:56 am

A lot of people have a strong sense of themselves - they believe their own hype. This seems to be what is expected. I've never had a strong sense of myself ... I am filled with doubts and can often only see my flaws.

Job interviews are more often about who can sell their persona best, not who can do the job best. And as for buying overpriced, over-advertised merchandise, that's not so much about buying the product as about buying into the the company persona - being part of something bigger than yourself.

But I don't think this is the whole picture - there are good people out there. And I think society does want to better itself. Buying in to marketing is a choice. It's frustrating that in a capitalist society, it is the ability to sell and manage money that is rewarded - I'm good at neither; but you can find a niche for yourself. For example, I've started shopping at the Salvation Army - you can get great stuff there!

Things could always be worse - politicians can lie, but there is always the other side there to hold them accountable.

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2012, 10:21 am

There's no survival mentality in modern developed society, the replacement is creating a world of false motives for amusement.

It's a typical behavior of those who have no goals.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 5:23 pm

nvm, found it.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2012, 2:35 am

I agree with the OP.