Do you ever feel physical pain from bad memories?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2012, 11:17 am

Lately I can't keep some memories out of my head, silly bad experiences when I've said something online which makes me feel really stupid and/or has caused disagreements in the past. Every time they get into my thoughts, I get really bad stomach cramps and get a headache feeling, and I get an impulse to curl up into a ball, or cover my face etc.

Most of the time I don't actually do anything about it, sometimes I cover my eyes and zone out for a couple of minutes. Unfortunately, the stomach pain lasts several hours, as does the headache occasionally.It's not really a shutdown, because I have had those as well, and they are much more out of body, in my case anyway.

Just wondedring if anyone else has physical reactions to memories and thoughts like this? It feel a bit weird, especially since its something I've only noticed over the last month or so.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 11:34 am

Yes, I sure do. I know my reactions of recalling certain events can be really visceral. I've actually become faint with sickening recall of specific experiences. Ouch. I know what you mean and I wish I knew a way to stop this from happening.

As I understand, Aspies are especially prone to post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) for this very reason that you wrote about, coupled with the fact that we have really good (too good?) memory recall. On the upside, it means you are an exceptionally sensitive person.

From my own experience, lots of neurotypical people can hurt another really badly or case a great deal of harm and sincerely not feel much remorse at all. And I've been hurt by them. Then they don't give a care what they did and I'm left reeling in pain.

So, iggy64, try to take care - know that you are prone to PTSD and take extra care of yourself. Sorry whatever (or whomever) still is hurting you - and it is real. I guess that means, at all costs, distancing yourself from traumatic situations as best you can. Trauma is hard to recover from, I know. Prevention is far easier than treating it. I think when an event is so 'out of control' then it becomes too hard to cope with - for instance, we've heard people say, "I can't believe it" or "this can't be happening." Yes, that's real. You might be experiencing this sort-of phenomenon. Well, you did not deserve whatever happened to you - sorry you were hurt in this way :cry: Once a wise person told me to never ask 'why' because that question is unanswerable.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 11:46 am

Yeah I do and I hate it...I mean it's kind of hellish having to re-live past pain over and over and over again. I mean I think I have heard hell described that way, of course if anyones gone there I doubt they returned to tell the tale.

MikaNeko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2012, 11:58 am

Yes usually stomach pain with a bit of sickness, the feeling can last for hours.

Your Aspie score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

日本語をならっています。

Squirsh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2012, 3:28 pm

When I re-live a bad memory I feel this tight, numb, heavy feeling in my chest and stomach. I feel sick and can't move and there's this pulsating ache all through my chest and abdomen. Sometimes even stabbing pains in my stomach. I end up crying until my face hurts because I can't suppress a memory once it's risen. All I can do is let it run its course.

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2012, 4:04 pm

Yeah, bad/embarrasing memories are so vivid and they come back in cycles. Always the stupid stuff I've said and the incredulous or angry reactions I got back not expecting them at the time. Definitely feel it in the gut, sometimes I will go bright red with anger and shame.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 4:24 pm

When I relive a bad memory, I start to hurt and I feel all sick on the inside and I get this feeling of fear. I feel wobbly for a few hours after that. I might think about it for a couple of days.

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2012, 2:56 am

Yes. It makes things worse - the memory itself is bad enough - physical pain as well just makes me want to stay in bed.
My stomach gets painful and my muscles tighten up across my shoulders.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 12:55 am

It's almost like I can feel my heart tearing and breaking. Yes, I can definitely relate.

Guybrush_Threepwood
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 6:45 am

It doesn't make sense to me, but I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation as to why emotional distress can be felt as pain in the region where one would imagine the heart is...I sometimes feel a terrible pain in my heart when sad. It is my least favorite sensation/state.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 10:35 am

If the memory is about physical pain, I can feel some of it. Years ago, some blood was taken from me. I don't think the people handling the needle knew what they were doing. The pain was rather excruciating, and I think they missed the vein on the inside of my elbow the first time around. When I think about it, like now, the muscles in my right arm hurt a bit and there's a numb, stiff feeling between my right elbow and my right hand. This winter, I fell on the ice face-first, lost consciousness for a few minutes, and had a rather visible wound on my chin. That part of my chin is still a bit touchy, but only when I think of it, and I get a bit dizzy if I think about it too much.

At times, reading something really bad causes me to feel like my midriff is under a lot of pressure, and some memories make my heart area and left pulse cramp a lot.

jwhitco_1306
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 May 2012, 1:27 pm

when i relive certain situations i can feel everything that happened during them they are so vivid and painful that sometimes i can even smell the smells in the air and here the sounds. and sometimes it last as long if not longer than the actual event

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2012, 9:34 pm

I've had that before due to depression & anxiety disorders like OCD & Post Traumatic Stress. I haven't in a long time thou since I'm over the depression & my anxiety is a lot better than it used to be.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 7:13 pm

Sweet Pea hugsImage

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm

jwhitco_1306 wrote:
when i relive certain situations i can feel everything that happened during them they are so vivid and painful that sometimes i can even smell the smells in the air and here the sounds. and sometimes it last as long if not longer than the actual event

Amen to that.

cooldryplace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jun 2012, 12:06 am

I don't feel pain but I've recently picked up the habit of yelling/swearing or making some sound when I think of a bad experience.