Stop blaming Asperger's!

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AussieMatty
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2012, 2:24 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
When it comes to Asperger's, blame might be a strong word. I accept it is the probable cause of many of my traits. I at no point blame the Asperger's for that, though. It is simply part of my make up, and I work with it the best I can.

The blame you speak of, Matty, are people diagnosed with Asperger's using it as a crutch or excuse when things go wrong or they behave in ways other people don't like which is sometimes it's down to the person being a dick and not the Asperger's itself!

Do you think it happens more in people with an earlier diagnosis than a late one? Or are other factors involved such as age in relation to when they were diagnosed?

I think that is bad attitude. Only disability I can think of is a bad attitude. Which mean actual disabilities technically are not disabled. Bad attitude is only disability.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 6:22 am

The thing is you can lessen aspergers but someone who has aspergers will never be rid of it. I don't blame it but it does affect each and everyone who has aspergers in some way.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 7:21 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
When it comes to Asperger's, blame might be a strong word. I accept it is the probable cause of many of my traits. I at no point blame the Asperger's for that, though. It is simply part of my make up, and I work with it the best I can.

The blame you speak of, Matty, are people diagnosed with Asperger's using it as a crutch or excuse when things go wrong or they behave in ways other people don't like which is sometimes it's down to the person being a dick and not the Asperger's itself!

Do you think it happens more in people with an earlier diagnosis than a late one? Or are other factors involved such as age in relation to when they were diagnosed?

This. I'm not looking to blame my problems on anything. Regardless, my problems exist and it is likely some of them would not exist and others would be less pronounced and/or easier to cope with if I were more neurotypical.

Looking for excuses for problems isn't a good way to get on in life whereas continuing to at least try to find ways to overcome them is.

AussieMatty
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2012, 5:26 am

But if people don't blame aspieness then that is a good attitude. Hence no disability. Bad attitude labels as disability. I believe its most stupid idea to think of 'disability' is a label for those bad attitude people.

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2012, 5:44 am

It is a disability, and no matter how much someone wants to try and turn it around, it is the cause for many disabilities in life. Some people can help to get better in those areas, others cant. But overall, the condition is the reason for many short-comings in life.

DiscardedWhisper
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2012, 10:23 am

Is this one of those "Deal With It!" sort of things? Yeah, that always fixes everything. Just deal with it.

Don't get freaked though. No reason to blame AS for my problems when blaming humans and their vile society works out much better.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 10:30 am

i stopped watching after i realized you were an "angry young man", and i realized i had nothing to say. whatever.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2014, 5:15 pm

Mirror21 wrote:
thewhitrbbit wrote:
There's a wrong way and a right way to approach "blaming" AS in my opinion.

There are things AS people have trouble with. They can be worked on, sometimes even hidden, but they will never go away. You have to be aware of that, and it might cause you to stumble, or hold you back. Not everyone can reach the hidden stage, but you can't stop trying. In that case, there's nothing wrong with "blaming" AS.

Now on the flip side, if you say "I have AS, I can't make friends" and never try that is blaming in the bad sense.

Exactly and I agree!

Excellent analysis. It doesn't make sense to me when people say you shouldn't attribute any of your problems to Asperger's. That kind of thinking can really f**k up a person's self-esteem, by telling them they have no valid reasons for their problems, especially when they actually do. Asperger's wouldn't be a thing if it didn't cause problems. Just learn from it, and try to improve.