Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 10:18 pm

Goodbye light bulbs. Real ones, anyway. Because of some lobbyist crap, the government has made them stop production of incandescent light bulbs, and now all we will have are those twisty flourscent ones. I HATE FLOURESCENT LIGHT!! !! !

I went and stocked up the other day. I bought about 50 of the 100 watt and 25 of the 75 watt. I gotta lay in more of a supply. I cannot do this. I will not do this. I'm furious!

Christmas trees will now look like total s**t, I'm sure.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 11:08 pm

There is always LED lights. Fluorescent light bulbs are only a temporary solution before LED lights become cheap enough after all.

Last edited by Tollorin on 15 Aug 2012, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 11:49 pm

What kind of CFL's are you buying? That is the key.

CFL's come in warm, medium and cool.

Warm CFL's look identical to traditional light bulbs.

Medium Ones I don't care for.

Cool CFL's have that bright blue hugh I don't like.

If you want to be close to an incandescent lamp, look for CFL's with a color temperature near 3,000 kelvin.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 12:22 am

CFL's also have another downside - electromagnetic interference which can do all kinds of bad things to the body, like headaches, nausea, loss of concentration, poor sleep, etc. Plus they're even loaded with toxins that require special recycling. CFL is a terrible, terrible thing!!

Stick to plain ol' bulbs - or make the move to LED's which are great now that their light is not so blue-ish.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 12:47 am

BlueMax wrote:
CFL's also have another downside - electromagnetic interference which can do all kinds of bad things to the body, like headaches, nausea, loss of concentration, poor sleep, etc. Plus they're even loaded with toxins that require special recycling. CFL is a terrible, terrible thing!!

Stick to plain ol' bulbs - or make the move to LED's which are great now that their light is not so blue-ish.
[b]

Its less than the pollution created by fossil fuels used to run a regular bulb. How ever led lights out side don't create enough heat to keep them clear of ice. some of the places that installed them in traffic lights had to add a heat strip to the lights that uses more energy than conventional incandescent bulbs they took out. They cant take them back out ether because they were bought with a grant that stipulates that they must use only led bulbs. Its a good thing to be environmentally friendly, It a bad thing when the government forces you to do so when they are riding around in gas guzzlers and flying all over the place for vacations.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 1:01 am

They are still producing light bulbs in some countries.

At least here in Finland selling light bulbs is going to be banned. It is permitted, however, to sell "spherical heating devices." :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 1:22 am

OddFinn wrote:
They are still producing light bulbs in some countries. At least here in Finland selling light bulbs is going to be banned. It is permitted, however, to sell "spherical heating devices." :D

that is priceless :lmao: i wish america could be so enlightened.

DiscardedWhisper
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2012, 3:37 am

auntblabby wrote:
OddFinn wrote:
They are still producing light bulbs in some countries. At least here in Finland selling light bulbs is going to be banned. It is permitted, however, to sell "spherical heating devices." :D

If that's enlightenment, then I'm going to live in a cave.

Those "energy saver" bulbs are so worthless. They cost 5 times as much, last half as long, provide half the light and they're filled with poisonous mercury.

Thanks, EPA! :wall:

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 3:42 am

DiscardedWhisper wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
OddFinn wrote:

Those "energy saver" bulbs are so worthless. They cost 5 times as much, last half as long, provide half the light and they're filled with poisonous mercury.

And that mercury (among others) is a more toxic than the "pollution created by fossil fuels used to run a regular bulb"...

Another CFL fun fact - they have a tendency to be high fire hazards. When the light burns out, the base can get extremely hot and explode, causing fire. How this got hushed up I'll never know... money-grubbing scum...

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 10:36 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2_lJ2bGltE[/youtube]

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

lighthouse99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2012, 9:46 pm

BlueMax wrote:
DiscardedWhisper wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
OddFinn wrote:

And that mercury (among others) is a more toxic than the "pollution created by fossil fuels used to run a regular bulb"...
Another CFL fun fact - they have a tendency to be high fire hazards. When the light burns out, the base can get extremely hot and explode, causing fire. How this got hushed up I'll never know... money-grubbing scum...

Blue Max is more right than he might know ;-)

Manufacturers lobbied for and welcomed the ban on cheap simple generic patent expired bulbs.
Society energy savings are marginal, c.1% grid energy, on US Dept of Energy, EU and UK-Cambridge data, and still not counting life cycle energy use.

Besides, re "saving fossil fuels"
Coal being the main environmental issue,
much the same coal is burned at night anyway whatever bulb you use,
given coal plant cycle operation factors

See Freedomlightbulb org
"How light bulb regulations are wrongly justified"
13 points, referenced

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm

I can't tell the difference between the light from the two, aside from compact florescent flickering in the cold.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 11:07 pm

Titangeek wrote:
I can't tell the difference between the light from the two, aside from compact florescent flickering in the cold.

You can't see the EMF, but you can sure feel its effects over time.

I'll admit, I still prefer the warm yellow light of an incandescent bulb over white/blue light from other sources... yellow like our sun. :P

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 11:09 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

I'll admit, I still prefer the warm yellow light of an incandescent bulb over white/blue light from other sources... yellow like our sun. :P

How do you mean?

And the light from mine is yellow like that from an incandescent.

Amethyst
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2012, 9:57 am

BlueMax wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

I think Aspie's may be more prone to electro sensitivity. I don't like either fluorescent or LED bulbs.
WH Smith have recently changed their lighting. I'm not sure what type of lights they are, but they're dim bluish slightly flickery ones that cause headaches, I think they're planning to do all branches like this. Seems that the future of shopping in real shops will be a headache of horrible blue lights.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 11:36 am

BlueMax wrote:

I'd really like to see some good quality evidence which demonstrates any of the following:

- That CFLs generate EMFs which are any more substantial or dangerous than ordinary lightbulbs
- That CFLs generate EMFs which are any more substantial or dangerous than your monitor, computer, television set, etc.
- That EMFs generated by household electrical devices, including lightbulbs, are in fact dangerous

I don't mean to insult when I ask about this. My default position on everything is scepticism. I spent about 10 mins googling for some good articles or studies which would answer my questions. Maybe you could point me in the right direction of some convincing evidence? I approach with an open mind: I'm not gonna try to attack or belittle you if you don't convince me.