My mom yelled at me for nothing

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pokelover14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2012, 11:34 am

My mom and I were in the living room and I was talking about Pokemon. I was talking about Pokemon Black and white 2 and how it is coming out soon and I am really excited. Then after about 20min she yells "CAN YOU STOP TALKING ABOUT POKEMON!! !! YOU ARE 15 AND NO 15 YEAR OLD IS IN TO SUCH A BABYISH THING!! !! POKEMON IS MADE FOR LITTLE KIDS!! !! ! I just got up and went to my room. Maybe she is right. Pokemon is my special interest and what if I have wasted my time learning all about Pokemon. How is that going to help me in life. I just don't even know right now.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 11:43 am

I'm really sorry she said that to you.....my stepfather used to say the same sort of thing about how I used to watch DragonTales on PBS when I was 10 - 12 years old. He said that he wanted me to stop watching it by the time I was 13 (as if he had any way of enforcing that, lol). I just basically didn't care....I've never felt like anyone has the right to dictate what I can and cannot like, and I think bcuz I exude that attitude, everyone picks up on it and just leaves me alone about what I like now - like die cast Cars and stuffed animals.

And heck, I probably know a few college people who still like Pokemon.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Dovi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2012, 11:44 am

My family gets mad at me when I talk about things Im interested in too, I think because I have a tendecy to over talk it.

However, Anime is actually intended for teenagers and adults in Japan. I don't know about pokemon specifically, but I know for sure thats lots of teens and adults still play the video game. That's why used pokemon games have held their value so well, plus, it's like a classic game. I am 24 and I love them, and I have since I got my first gameboy color with pokemon red at 10 yrs old. I also know plenty of teens and adults who still play it.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 11:49 am

I'm 37 and play Pokemon.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 11:49 am

Pokelover14 wrote:
My mom and I were in the living room and I was talking about Pokemon. I was talking about Pokemon Black and white 2 and how it is coming out soon and I am really excited. Then after about 20min she yells "CAN YOU STOP TALKING ABOUT POKEMON!! !! YOU ARE 15 AND NO 15 YEAR OLD IS IN TO SUCH A BABYISH THING!! !! POKEMON IS MADE FOR LITTLE KIDS!! !! ! I just got up and went to my room. Maybe she is right. Pokemon is my special interest and what if I have wasted my time learning all about Pokemon. How is that going to help me in life. I just don't even know right now.

You might want to discuss special interest(s) with Moms for about 5 to 10 minutes ....every few days or so.

TheSunAlsoRises

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

You should realice that your mom isn't interested in Pokemon and talk to her about some other stuff.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 11:54 am

Pokelover14 wrote:

Then after 20 mins
Well that's your first problem right there :P

Clearly no point talking to her about it for AGES if she isn't interested. That's a line you're going to have to figure out for yourself. When to stop, and all that.

Pokemon is made for little kids

This is pretty true. Does it mean adults can't enjoy it? Not really. Plenty do. Explaining this to your mom will not help you. Don't bother, probably.

Will Pokemon help you in life? I would be extremely surprised. Is it going to do any harm on it's own? Unlikely, unless you block out every other aspect of your life in favor of it, which is possible considering it's a special interest of yours.

---

Is your mom kind of a b***h for reacting that way? Sorry, but yeah. It wasn't very tactful and it wasn't very mature.

Best to try and smooth things out with your mom nonetheless. If you're worried about learning stuff that'll help you later on in life, bring it up with her. She will probably want to help you as long as she's convinced that whatever it is you bring up is beneficial. If you want, say you'll try to cut back on the pokemon stuff. Is there anything else you like to do? Or would like to do?

Last edited by The_Perfect_Storm on 10 Sep 2012, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 11:54 am

If there is anyway to contact a family counselor, I would suggest that. Your mom does not sound like a pleasant person to be around. With her hitting you, and making you bleed with her nails, and then this, she sounds like she has some issues that need looked into.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 12:02 pm

Does your mother ever talk about something you are not interested in for a long period of time?

Pokelover14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2012, 12:14 pm

My mom isn't really a nice person I have to say. But that is just because she has been sick for a while with some MS or something Crones also I don't know. She has to go to the hospital a lot and that is all I really know. My family is crazy with my dad and my mom. Like how my dad says I can do things and my mom says I can't... Example my dad says I can watch American Horror Story WHICH IS A GREAT SHOW BTW, but my mom saw the first episode and said no immediately after the sex scene with the maid. So I have watched it behind her back. Since I live with my mom She says my dad has no say but does that mean when I am up with him I can watch it when ever I want?? I am always so confused about what I can and cannot do. Whenever my parents give me different options I pick the one I like the best.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 12:31 pm

Pokelover14 wrote:
My mom isn't really a nice person I have to say. But that is just because she has been sick for a while with some MS or something Crones also I don't know. She has to go to the hospital a lot and that is all I really know. My family is crazy with my dad and my mom. Like how my dad says I can do things and my mom says I can't... Example my dad says I can watch American Horror Story WHICH IS A GREAT SHOW BTW, but my mom saw the first episode and said no immediately after the sex scene with the maid. So I have watched it behind her back. Since I live with my mom She says my dad has no say but does that mean when I am up with him I can watch it when ever I want?? I am always so confused about what I can and cannot do. Whenever my parents give me different options I pick the one I like the best.

Yes, AHS is a great show. Please continue to sneaky sneak your way into watching some of series 2 when it comes out. More people should see it :)

Look, generally you can do whatever you can get away with. Don't stress about whether it's right or wrong or anything like that. In the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't matter one bit. Do you have to stick to your mother's rules 100% of the time? Absolutely not, especially at your dads place. But maybe keep it to yourself :wink:

I'd say try and stick to the rules of whichever parent you're staying with. It'll cut down the arguments significantly if you have the patience for it.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2012, 12:57 pm

Maybe what happened is she just got annoyed by you talking about Pokemon, maybe she wanted silence. So if that is the case, then she probably had a reason, even if you didn't realize that silence is what she needed right then. Regardless of what she said though, if you like Pokemon, then it's good for you, because then you have something to be interested in. It shouldn't matter if you are 15 years old or 90 years old, there is nothing wrong with being interested in Pokemon.

Pokelover14 wrote:
Pokemon is my special interest and what if I have wasted my time learning all about Pokemon. How is that going to help me in life. I just don't even know right now.

I really don't know how you could make money on being interested in Pokemon, but having a special interest, no matter what it is, can help you in life whether you make money because of it or not. When you're upset and having a bad day, focusing on your interest might help you to feel a little better, which is how it would help you in life.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm

I hardly ever talk to my family about my special interests anymore, because my parents tried to train me not to talk about them. I only talk about my special interests here on WP and to others who accept me as I am. Even when I am with my friends, I'll only talk about The Kinks for 2-3 minutes and go onto something else. I post a fair bit about my special interest here on WP, because it's supposed to be a safe haven for me to be able to do that. I don't go on and on like I did three years ago, when I went back to being myself after 11 years of hiding behind 2 different masks.

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

Whenever parents yell at me for nothing I would yell at them back for nothing! :D

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 4:38 pm

I'm sorry that your mother is so horrible to you. Is there any way you can move in with your father?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 4:58 pm

From what you say, your mother has serious health problems, which you don't seem particularly concerned about it. She is probably under a lot of stress and in pain. I think you should think less about yourself and your needs, and more about her and hers.