Son's tip of finger cut off by fridge

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 1:10 am

I changed the subject line because somebody said it was kind of vague.

My 17 yo son was helping a friend move today. He cut the tip of his pinky finger off with a refrigerator. That sharp part down at the bottom. It's hanging on by skin and a little bit of meat basically. The bone is broken jagged. He was stitched up and splinted at the big ER in the city tonight and sees the Orthopod tomorrow.

What else is gonna happen?

Silver lining though. There was a girl about his age whose uncle was in the curtain area next to us. Her uncle had pneumonia. He got to talking to the girl and they exchanged numbers and FB info. They flirted. He showed her all the pics he had taken of the finger before it was cleaned, after it was cleaned and then after it was stitched. Really gross, but they seemed to get into it. The male nurse fist bumped him for being able to hook up in the ED lol. So, he's excited about talking to her on FB tomorrow. They talked about maybe going to a show.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Last edited by OliveOilMom on 18 Oct 2012, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 2:03 am

How terrible! I feel so bad for your son. I'll keep him in my prayers tonight and I hope he makes a full recovery.

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Oct 2012, 4:07 am

That's terrible!
Best of luck to your son, Olive Oil Mom!

I'm sensitive about fingers these days, after injuring my finger and possibly needing an op, but it's nothing like that.

I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 8:26 am

Ow! I hope his finger can be mended! How scary.

I almost lost my entire pinky once building scenery, but luckily the metal bar that fell on me hit about an eighth of an inch away, right on the edge of my palm so a couple stitches took care of it.

Hope things go well with his new friend. :wink:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 10:32 am

Well right now I'm trying to get the appointment at the orthopod but first I had to get the referral from his PCP, which I finally did get faxed over and then oh wait, they were wrong, they need one from the ER, so I'm waiting on that. The only appt they have today, which is the day he needs to be seen, is in three hours. We are about one hour away. They best hurry or I'm going off.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 12:10 pm

Hubby has taken him to the orthopod. I'll post an update when they get back.

Know what the craziest thing is? The first thing he did when it happened was get out his phone and take pics of it. Then, while his friend was flying to the hospital in the truck and my son's hand was in a cup of ice, he uploaded them to facebook. Really.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

I know I'm going waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead with this, but that would make for a really cool "how did you guys meet each other" story :lol:

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 2:01 pm

I had this happen to my little finger when I was little, now I only have half a little finger.

I remember crying and panic lol. It also kept hanging there by skin and bleeding like a motherf*****.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 2:22 pm

Uprising wrote:
I had this happen to my little finger when I was little, now I only have half a little finger.

I remember crying and panic lol. It also kept hanging there by skin and bleeding like a motherf*****.

He didn't cry till he got to the small hospital here in town and they made him mad cause they made him wait! Bleeding all over the place, they made him wait. He posted about that too on FB.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 2:48 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about that,I hope his finger will be o.k.,nothing worries a mom more than a injured kid.My son fell off a bluff hiking plus broke an arm four wheeling.Each time I wished it was me instead of him.Keeping you all in my thoughts.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 2:50 pm

He's having surgery Tuesday.

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2012, 3:18 pm

I preferred the vague title. ;(

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 3:24 pm

Anybody wanna see a photo?

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 3:54 pm

I'd give my whole left arm to hit it off with a girl at the point I'm at. Your son lost part of his finger, but probably gained a future girlfriend. :P

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 4:16 pm

Thankfully for him if it was in an area where there was fingernail itll grow completely back. Fingertips are one of the few parts in humans that can regenerate completely even if removed and not reattached.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 5:04 pm

Photos? :chin:

I guess after seeing some of the worse photos on my father's line of work, nothing can really surprise me :lol: