This "age - appropriate" BS

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 11:49 am

Well, my younger half - sisters, E and D, are now teenagers, or almost to that point....jeez, where does the time go.

E is 13, and D is 12 (there's only about a year or two of age difference b/tw them).

I'm 20, going to be 21 in February, which isn't too long off.

Their current interests are: Make Me a Supermodel, Pretty Little Liars, Twilight, Facebook, texting, all the clothes that the "cool" preteens and teens are wearing, and all the teen magazines, of course.

What are my current interests? Cars/Cars 2, plushies, animated cartoons and films, Wreck It Ralph, My Little Pony (Gen 1 and Gen 4), Where the Wild Things Are (the movie), dolphins, whales, Calico Critters, raccoons, and crows/ravens.

Where I'm going with this is, I'm sure it makes my mom and stepdad happy to have at least two daughters who are interested in what girls their age SHOULD be interested in....when we were all kids, my mom and stepdad supported my younger half - sisters in whatever it was they liked....E liked stuffed pandas, she got stuffed pandas, D liked dogs, she got stuffed dogs and dog - related stuff....

...When it came to what I liked, it was just, "You're 12 years old and you STILL watch DragonTales?" or, "Aren't you a little old to take a stuffed dolphin everywhere and talk to it? Leave that in the Car!"

They were willing to indulge my interests in cetacea (dolphins and whales) and animation up to a point, but I still never felt really accepted the way I was.

Maybe my mom and stepdad are happy to have my sisters interested in stuff geared toward teens and young adults; but I just worry that at some point, those interests are going to lead them to something they'd just as soon not get involved in (i.e., becoming obsessed with appearance/weight, vampire stuff, etc).

I'm not really looking for a solution to anything; just wanted to get this off my chest.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Maybe my mom and stepdad are happy to have my sisters interested in stuff geared toward teens and young adults; but I just worry that at some point, those interests are going to lead them to something they'd just as soon not get involved in (i.e., becoming obsessed with appearance/weight, vampire stuff, etc).

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

LadybugS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2012, 1:42 pm

I'm sorry! That's got to be very tough. :(

My mother always treated my younger brothers very differently, so I can understand a bit.

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough... God knows we're worth it"

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 2:17 pm

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 04 Dec 2012, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 2:25 pm

Heh.... at 38 I feel much the same. I wanna' see "Wreck-It Ralph" but don't want to be seen as creepy, weird and a giant man-child. :oops:

neecerie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2012, 3:26 pm

LtlPinkCoupe wrote:

I'm not really looking for a solution to anything; just wanted to get this off my chest.

Worrying about your siblings is healthy, however you can't really control or prevent where their interests take them, just like they can't make you stop being into what you are into, even if they don't find it interesting.

Being there for them if they ever do want to talk about such things is about as much as you can do....I know you weren't asking for solutions, so take with the proverbial grain of salt.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 6:53 pm

You're not alone in this! I played with kids' toys through most of my teens, and even now, at the age of 28, I still find the idea of that fun! I was fortunate enough to have parents who allowed 90% of it to go on.

The Humans vs. Zombies live-action game that they did recently at my school gave me a nice excuse to use a Nerf gun. :P

And I also say down with "age-appropriateness" judgments in interests!! ! Yes, it may be unusual to play with Legos or Barbie dolls at the age of 15, but I fail to see how it hurts anyone!!

I also had random interests that were way OVER my age in childhood - like technical manuals and programming.

AQ: 33

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 10:09 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Heh.... at 38 I feel much the same. I wanna' see "Wreck-It Ralph" but don't want to be seen as creepy, weird and a giant man-child. :oops:

THATS SO COOL (referring to wanting to go see "Wreck-It Ralph!")

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 10:58 pm

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
You're not alone in this! I played with kids' toys through most of my teens, and even now, at the age of 28, I still find the idea of that fun! I was fortunate enough to have parents who allowed 90% of it to go on.

The Humans vs. Zombies live-action game that they did recently at my school gave me a nice excuse to use a Nerf gun. :P

And I also say down with "age-appropriateness" judgments in interests!! ! Yes, it may be unusual to play with Legos or Barbie dolls at the age of 15, but I fail to see how it hurts anyone!!

I also had random interests that were way OVER my age in childhood - like technical manuals and programming.

YES! Im 20 and still play with zoid robots :)

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 11:23 pm

LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
Well, my younger half - sisters, E and D, are now teenagers, or almost to that point....jeez, where does the time go.

E is 13, and D is 12 (there's only about a year or two of age difference b/tw them).

I'm 20, going to be 21 in February, which isn't too long off.

Their current interests are: Make Me a Supermodel, Pretty Little Liars, Twilight, Facebook, texting, all the clothes that the "cool" preteens and teens are wearing, and all the teen magazines, of course.

What are my current interests? Cars/Cars 2, plushies, animated cartoons and films, Wreck It Ralph, My Little Pony (Gen 1 and Gen 4), Where the Wild Things Are (the movie), dolphins, whales, Calico Critters, raccoons, and crows/ravens.

dont let it get to you. There's something very cute about women that retain some of their girlyness. What you show is interest in movies, plushies and such but you dont play with dolls or behave like a child... ergo, you're simply young at heart and that's awesome.

Quetzkotl
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2012, 2:05 am

You're definitely not alone in this. When I was a teenager, I was obsessed with books and video games. I asked for video games for Christmas when I was sixteen, and my mom sternly informed me that I was too old for them. She bought me this awful, fuzzy pink sweater that itched and a bunch of makeup for Christmas instead. Anyway, I'm 37 years old now, and I still love books and videogames and never wear any makeup. Sorry, Mom! :D

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 2:44 am

BlueMax wrote:
nothing wrong with it I saw it bymyself and Im 30 nobody was creeped out by me of course I look like im 22ish heh also there were a few other people in their 20s and some 30s seeing it too. I admit I go see pixar movies dreamworks movies etc by myself all the time ironicly nobody gets creeped out by it.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

map505
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2012, 5:21 am

Im 32 and I saw wreck it Ralph and it was awesome!!!I love watching The Clone Wars series also.I guess for me it helps that I have a 6 year old daughter so it gives me a free pass to enjoy watching cartoons with her lol.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 9:54 pm

I like MLP and Adventure Time. I even bought an Adventure Time hat! My mom & sisters (all 3 of them) think OMG! that show is for kids etc. When it actually has a teen and young adult following. MLP my little sisters who are 11 and 13) say it's for 5 yr. old girls.

With the Adventure Time hat they reminded me OMG! you are going on 30! (I'm 26 will be 27 in March!) So that's scary! :-(

I understand your pain. :-( At 16ish I was told to take all my action figures and throw them away! I still got onto the floor and played with them reenacting scenes from cartoons I liked. I then just took that interest and got into videogames mainly.

Wish I could still get into toys though. :-(

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 12:24 am

There is nothing wrong with a plushie collection, a lot of people find it cool if you have really good ones, such as Sonic plushes.
Wreck-It-Ralph was an awesome movie.
And MLP is an awesome show.
Its the Twilight thats the problem. I hope you dont really think thats a cool movie series or anything. The books arent very good either.